VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.

I got some EsBuy.com DVD-R media, which is actually ritek from what they say.

When I try to burn a 4.6gb image, it says the disc is too small. when I check nero drive info, the DVD-R capacity shows 4.384GB! Is that normal? it would really SUCK if it did. Why do they print 4.7 GB if the actual size is different?

Oh, same problem with Optodisc DVD-RW, same size. one RW can't be reformatted. what the heck is going on here. I have the new DVR-105.

Oded S.
    Quote Quote  
  2. hi,

yes the dvd's are only 4.3xx GB in Real world. But in DVD world the GB is calculated as 1000 MB per gb where as in the Computer world it is 1024 mb per GB. So the 4.7 DVD GB = 4.3xx Compuer World GB.
    Baskaran Swamiappan
    Englewood,CO
    baskis@gmail.com
    Quote Quote  
  3. So what you mean is that I need to create a 4.4gb max Image files? or is it like VCD, where a VCD can write about 800mb on a 700mb CDR?

Oded S.
    Quote Quote  
  4. A DVDR can hold:

[ 4.39GB ] [ 4500MB ] [ 4,608,000KB]

The above numbers are all 4,718,592,000 Bytes
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Technically, it's false advertising because a computer gigabyte is always calculated in base 2 (although they would probably argue the scientific definition of giga). However, since all hard drive and DVD sizes are described as such, no one does anything.

The VCD size thing is due to the write mode (the 700 MB figure is for data and is written with error correction). DVDs don't have the two modes, so you're stuck with the 4.39GB; you can't even overburn.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Thorn
    Technically, it's false advertising because a computer gigabyte is always calculated in base 2
    There was a law suite a few years ago, I think it sizzled out
    after Hard drive manufactures agree to put on the boxes
    that they define a megabyte (MB) as 1,000,000 bytes and a
    gigabyte (GB) as 1,000,000,000 bytes

That is not how Windows98/XP calculates GB.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the true size: 4,700,000,000 bytes
    or 4,589,843.75 kbytes
    or 4,482.269 Mbytes
    or 4.377 Gbytes

In otherwords, choose your poison. The best way to find out if something will fit in 4,700,000,000 bytes is to highlight everything that you intend on putting on the disk, then RIGHT-CLICKING on one of the highlighted objects, then choosing PROPERTIES. Windows will tell you the exact size, in bytes of all the files combined.
    Quote Quote  
  8. This issue happen since a lot of times with the hard drives... check any of your hard drives that you have in your pc... and you see that the space avialable is less that you really think... for example, my last hd that I buy is an 80 GB hd... but after I formated it... the space that I can use is only of 76GB...

Davidgp
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sometimes don't know what's worse... The fact that someone decided to use powers of 1024 rather than 1000 way back or that advertisers basically try to cheat us with their "weasel" Mb/Gb (which on the other hand actually make a lot more sense).

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  10. it all depends on whether you're buying or selling! It would all be so much simpler if we all had 6 fingers & 2 thumbs!
    Quote Quote