VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,

Recently I was trying to watch my DVD of Pirates of the Caribbean At Worlds End on my 2020 Mac Book Pro with an external optical drive I picked up from MthsTec. Every time I inserted the DVD, the mac would recognize the DVD and start the player application, only to be met with the rainbow wheel of death, forcing me to force quit the application. I tested the drive with other DVD's and they worked fine, so I assumed it must be an issue with the disc, however, when I tested the disc on my Samsung Blu-Ray Player and on my PS4, the disc played fine. I promise, the disc is not a Blu-Ray. I also tested it on my PC through both VLC and PowerDVD 20, however my PC wouldn't play it either. Could this be some sort of weird Disney copyright thing?

Thanks!

This is in the wrong category, my bad!
    Last edited by chardles101; 3rd Sep 2020 at 20:25.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Ret. Hippie Guitar Player Axel Slingerland's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I could be wrong of course, but I would say it at least could be a copy protection issue. Myself, I can see both sides of the situation. As a musician, I agree that artists need to get paid for their work, just like everyone else. It doesn't matter whether it's writing, recording and/or playing music, computer work or making movies. However, on the other hand, I also agree that when you pay for something, you should be able to use it however you like.

The key of course is in the definition of what you're buying. Once again, it doesn't matter whether it's a CD with music on it or a DVD or BD with a movie on it. What you're actually buying is a license to use the content that was delivered to you on those CDs, DVDs or BDs. What you can do with that content is rarely if ever really explained in detail, specially in the case of music CDs. But it is explained in a basic manner on movies, where it says you can't copy them, can't do public showings of them, etc. I doubt they would tell you the names of companies they have paid to put hardware or software in their DVD players, etc., to either enable or disable the ability to play the movies.

I bet if you looked around this forum you would find a few solutions to that problem, in posts, advertising or both...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chardles101 View Post
    Hello all,

Recently I was trying to watch my DVD of Pirates of the Caribbean At Worlds End on my 2020 Mac Book Pro with an external optical drive I picked up from MthsTec. Every time I inserted the DVD, the mac would recognize the DVD and start the player application, only to be met with the rainbow wheel of death, forcing me to force quit the application. I tested the drive with other DVD's and they worked fine, so I assumed it must be an issue with the disc, however, when I tested the disc on my Samsung Blu-Ray Player and on my PS4, the disc played fine. I promise, the disc is not a Blu-Ray. I also tested it on my PC through both VLC and PowerDVD 20, however my PC wouldn't play it either. Could this be some sort of weird Disney copyright thing?

Thanks!

This is in the wrong category, my bad!
    You could install the trial of DVDFab Passkey for DVD on your PC. If the Pirates of the Caribbean At Worlds End DVD plays, then you can be sure it is a copy protection problem.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    is the dvd drive region set to the same area as the dvd?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    It is better to find the same video online sometimes that to get this entire headache. Personally I have decided for myself to do it. Meanwhile, the update of the drivers helps in 70% of the troubles (use only official sites for updates).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by layka2 View Post
    It is better to find the same video online sometimes that to get this entire headache. Personally I have decided for myself to do it. Meanwhile, the update of the drivers helps in 70% of the troubles (use only official sites for updates).
    FYI, you're close to or possibly in violation of forum rules:

"Warez rules

What is warez? Obtained movies/tv-series/tv-shows/software either through download, torrent, etc that breaks the copyright.

Do NOT talk about warez releases
    Like filenames Movie.2012.DVDSCR.X264.AAC.P2P.mkv. Please don't download warez movie/tv releases.

Do NOT talk about copying rented/subscription material
    You are not allowed to rip/copy/record rented video. It includes streaming rented/subscribed video like netflix, itunes, hulu plus, etc.

Do NOT give warez / Do NOT link to warez
    Distributing warez. This includes linking to warez either directly or to crack or serial sites. Offering warez in any fashion including PM or e-mail is against forum policy.

Do NOT ask for warez
    Asking for warez. In any fashion this is unacceptable including but not limited to PM or e-mail requests or information on what p-2-p network has copies.

Do NOT provide information on how to obtain warez
    Providing information on how to obtain warez.

Do NOT advocate warez
    Advocate warez. Recommending the use of warez.
    "

My emphasis
    Quote Quote