VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok here is my dilemma, i have en epson artisan 835 printer i love, but i also use it in conjunction with movie collectorz software. I have a template that i can use in movie collectors that can print directly onto a dvd. My problem is after a new update on Movie collectorz software i need to adjust my printer to print from that template. I dont want to waste so many dvd banks while i adjust the printer. Any idea how i can do this without buying blanks i will be throwing away. I just want to adjust the printer with software but dont know how many blanks i will use to throw away. Any ideas appreciable. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Since the quality of print test is highly dependent upon the kind of absorbing material on the DVD face, you can't really skimp on this part with other materials (paperboard circles, etc.). Just going to have to bite the bullet and print some test DVDs. If they don't work right, just use them for other purposes (e.g. backups) and change the face using a Sharpie.

Of course, you can always minimize the # of tests by doing some exacting math calculations on the layout first, so it could get you that much closer to your goal.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, always buy the best inkjet discs.

Another factor not discussed here is the weight and offset of labeling material can totally screw up the disc, and the net effects can also affect longevity.

Unfortunately, testing is testing. That means you'll burn some media (photo paper, inkjet disc, etc) to do so.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    If it's only the printing position you are adjusting, you could try and print on the data side of the disc and wipe it clean for another go. I've never done this myself, so please don't blame me if it doesn't work. I'm assuming here that the printer cannot detect if the surface is actually printable or not.

Or choose a lightly coloured image and print over the same printable disc several times. You can rotate the disc between adjustments, so you can judge by the orientation of image which is the last one printed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many of the blanks made by the lower-quality manufacturers may actually be better for testing than for burning.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would not recommend printing onto non-absorbent materials/sides, as there is the likely chance of splash & buildup in the printer, potentially ruining later printing.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Another factor not discussed here is the weight and offset of labeling material can totally screw up the disc, and the net effects can also affect longevity.
    I had to give up adhesive disc labels. Many DVDs became unplayable after a few weeks and only recovered when the label was soaked off completely. The conjecture is that the label dries and shrinks, slightly cupping the disc. Players don't like cupped discs.

I've had great success with Verbatim AquaAce Glossy DVD-R. Ink dries quickly and looks great.
    Quote Quote