VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just curious if anyone has tried this brand. They seem to really push it, and they guarantee my satisfaction. They claim it has a very high compatibility rate. That's fine and dandy, I'll take their word on that, but how long do you think it will last? Cheap dye maybe?
    Thanks.
    -Brian
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a 50 pack from them and all burned great @ 4x on my Pioneer 105 as advertised. They play great in all my set tops too. I would buy them again if not for the meritline horror stories I have read since my purchase. Just try calling them to return something if you're not satisfied. It's an exercise in futility from what I have heard. That has me spooked, so now I just buy Ritek G04's from Newegg. They're about $48 w/ free shipping, can't go wrong. They are working out just fine for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought some of the certified 1x-4x BeAll DVD-R discs from Meritline back when I first got my NEC ND-1300A and I was very upset about the lack of quality.

I bought a 25 pack and the first few burned A-OK with ZERO read errors even though some were DVD2ONE back-ups that were close to filling up the disc. Then about maybe 10 discs in I started to get read errors once I went over the 4.2GB mark. After a few like that I started trying to keep the size just under 4.2GB and most of those were A-OK but some still had a few read errors near the very end.

All but one of them played back fine but still that is just unacceptable.

Now I pretty much only use Taiyo Yuden brand ... sometimes I'll use TDK or MAXELL but only if they say MADE IN JAPAN.

The BeAll DVD-R discs got a lot of good things said about them early on in the days of DVD burning but that was when they said SAMSUNG BEALL and it seems that at some point (I'm guessing when they become BEALL sans SAMSUNG) the quality control went out the door.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So it sounds like both of you would liken Ritek over the BeAll brand. I swear, this DVD media market drives me nuts. One day it seems a brand is good, and the next day they are garbage. All I want is a DVD that will work in most players, and last a long time without me having to worry about dye problems in the long term. Thanks for the opinions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by briandugas
    So it sounds like both of you would liken Ritek over the BeAll brand. I swear, this DVD media market drives me nuts. One day it seems a brand is good, and the next day they are garbage. All I want is a DVD that will work in most players, and last a long time without me having to worry about dye problems in the long term. Thanks for the opinions.
    I don't much care for RITEK myself. I would rather use a DVD-R that is MADE IN JAPAN as in some of the TDK, MAXELL and FUJI packs of DVD-R discs.

My favorite brand is Taiyo Yuden. The FUJI packs of DVD-R discs that say MADE IN JAPAN are Taiyo Yuden or you can buy Taiyo Yuden direct from RIMA.COM

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote