VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Thanks for the tip, however DVDFab does it all very well, rips, shrinks it without any viewing problems and burns it. No tweaking needed, and no need to use IMGBurn although I do have it loaded in my system.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use DVDFab to rip to hard drive, Alot of people say to use BDrebuilder but for some reason I have alot of problems with it, One time I use it no problem, but the next time it comes up as x264.exe has encountered an error don't know why. But I wouldn't use Fab to re-encode while ripping to hard drive that just puts extra work on your blu-ray player, I would rip to hard drive first then shrink. I'm still waiting for a program like dvdshrink to come out for blu-rays.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I agree, a new dvdshrink/bdshrink would be great! But my DVDFab really doesn't work my BD drive too hard, I just burned a 156 min BD to a blank 25G BD-R in about 1 hour total. The original was in my player longer than the blank was to burn in the BD-RW... But yea, a new dvd/bd shrinkwould be awesome! It’s a great and small program. I cannot even run BDrebuilder as it says I'm missing about 5 other programs supposedly necessary to run it, ridicules!! I don't want to download 6 programs to use only one of them...
    Last edited by rudie64; 11th Feb 2012 at 01:25.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi there, I am new to this. I want to back up my blu rays. After reading the posts, I understand everything can be done with DVDFAB. I have downloaded the newest version 8.1.6.3.
    Where do I go from here?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Let me say right off that I'm not looking to get in a pissing contest here. But I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of experienced members here will agree with the following:

1) DVDFab is a good decrypter. Full stop.

Its re-encoding is poor, to be kind. There's a reason veteran members use the x264_encoder, with whatever front-end they prefer, be it BDRB, RipBot, or other.

2) Likewise, the consensus here is that ImgBurn is the most reliable burning program. Full stop.

Now, if you think you know better, go right ahead. Just don't question the intelligence of those who use what they consider to be the best tool for a particular job.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I am feeling uncharacteristically generous tonight

Especially seeing as most of it you could find or discover in less time than it took you to post and wait for a reply with a just a little exploration

Here is more information than you will probably know what to do with!!

Originally Posted by rudie64 View Post
    Thanks for the tip, however DVDFab does it all very well, rips, shrinks it without any viewing problems and burns it.
    Well, that's a matter of opinion and people who have been doing this a very long time can see the difference in final quality compared to other programs.

And technically, DVDFab does NOT burn, it uses other programs to burn, whether it be an internal burning engine, or external burning engine.

No tweaking needed, and no need to use IMGBurn although I do have it loaded in my system.
    Exactly, no "tweaking" needed.... But i like to get rid of extra "CRAP" that is NOT needed, dedicating MORE space to the video, increasing video QUALITY!!

IE: BDRebuilder - BDRB

And if you bothered to take a minute or two to actually learn the program and are to lazy to save the disc as an ISO or Bluray folder, then use Imgburn to burn your disc, you can also set DVDFab to use Imgburn to burn the disc, which i would use and recommend to anyone as your #1 software for burning DVD-R's or BDR's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DVDFab002.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	11056

And It is better to rip/save the original disc in full to your HDD then compress it, convert it, transcode it from there as to save major wear and tare on your drive/s.

With DVDFab you can NOT remove unwanted trailers, audio tracks, etc. in FULL DISC mode and retain the Menu's, if you want just the main movie then yes, but it is still better to save the disc Uncompressed to your HDD first.

I agree, a new dvdshrink/bdshrink would be great!
    There is, it's called BD Rebuilder!!

Here is a nice little link explaining how to set it up so you can blank unwanted items/video,
    http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1526277&postcount=12911

Name:	BDRB001.jpg
Views:	3133
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	11057

You can blank out Unwanted & unneeded audio tracks and in this case, ROTPOTA has a bunch of trailers before the main menu and i removed them along with unwanted audio tracks to make more room for better video encoding/quality while retaining menus.

But my DVDFab really doesn't work my BD drive too hard, I just burned a 156 min BD to a blank 25G BD-R in about 1 hour total.
    Yep, and DVD Shrink "transcodes" a DVD a lot faster than DVD Rebuilder "Re-Encodes" a DVD, but you can see a MAJOR difference in video quality, especially on an HD TV between the 2.

I cannot even run BDrebuilder as it says I'm missing about 5 other programs supposedly necessary to run it, ridicules!! I don't want to download 6 programs to use only one of them...
    Huh... then you must be doing something wrong, because BD Rebuilder comes with all programs necessary, i may be wrong, but it comes with a bunch of software in the download.

And i have never had any issue using it after just extracting the main BD_Rebuilder folder from the downloaded .ZIP file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by corky View Post
    Hi there, I am new to this. I want to back up my blu rays. After reading the posts, I understand everything can be done with DVDFAB.
    Technically, it's can not all be done with DVDFab!!

I have downloaded the newest version 8.1.6.3.
    Where do I go from here?
    Thanks
    A good place to start would be by doing a search and reading....
    Or YOU could click the little ? icon at the top right hand corner of DVDFab and click the "TUTORIAL" which will bring up this page in your browser....
    http://www.dvdfab.com/tutorial.htm

Name:	DVDFab001.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	11058
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Say no more.

Oh dear. If aedipuss is following this thread he must be thinking: 'Ha! Another "newbie throwdown", been a lot of those lately.'

Okay, so all-in-one programs have one thing to offer: Little knowledge required. But the tradeoff is usually a program that's bloated and does nothing well. (Nero, anyone?) At least DVDFab is a good decrypter and it's not terribly bloated. Lets just not pretend it can do anything else well.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Huh... then you must be doing something wrong, because BD Rebuilder comes with all programs necessary, i may be wrong, but it comes with a bunch of software in the download.

And i have never had any issue using it after just extracting the main BD_Rebuilder folder from the downloaded .ZIP file.
    Technically, for those who aren't inclined to do much of anything on their systems a user may, in fact, need to install a few programs in order for BD Rebuilder to work. In order to fully use BD Rebuilder you must have the recommended versions of FFDSHOW, Haali Matroska Splitter, and Avisynth installed. You also have to have installed ImgBurn, as well. I don't consider needing to install 4 additional things to be anything painful or earthshattering. I'm not really sure how anyone could but oh well.

I'm not defending the original poster. Frankly, they can use whatever they like and remain unaware of the vast difference in quality between good software and software that isn't as good. All the needed programs and download links are posted right in the first post of the Doom9 official BD Rebuilder beta and bug report thread. There's nothing "ridicules" about getting and installing the necessary software but to each their own
    Last edited by HemLok; 21st Feb 2012 at 01:34.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you for all the information. The first blu ray burnt perfectly. The second one said failed, any ideas why it would do that????
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for all the information. The first blu ray burnt perfectly. The second one said failed, any ideas why it would do that????
    Well, some more (any) INFORMATION would be helpful!!!!

What BD-R media are you using ?

What "program" are you using to burn ?

And that is just the "Basic" info needed.

And what do you mean by
    The first blu ray burnt perfectly.
    How do you know it "burnt" perfectly ?

Because i jumped into bluray ripping & backup within basically a week and i have backed up and burned over 50+ BDR's with only 1 coaster and that was user/system error....

Oy Vey......
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Noahtuck, BDrebuilder doesn't come with all programs needed, As HemLok stated you must download FFDSHOW, Haali Matroska Splitter, and Avisynth and install them first. And I personally like to rip Blu-ray movie to hard drive first because only takes about 30 to 40 minutes depending how big the movie is, then shrink to a BD25 with BDrebuilder. Why run your burner for hours trying to do it all at once, it will just wear out your burner faster.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Sorry, I used DVDfab to do it all. By saying perfect, i just meant that there was no errors and it looked great on my tv.
    So I don't know what went wrong with the second one.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to hear that corky, I might have to try DVDfab to shrink Blu-ray to a BD25, Since I seem to have problems with BDrebuilder keeps coming up X264.exe has encounterd an error cannot continue.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can use Anydvd to rip the file to the HDD and then use BDtoAVCHD to rip the main movie and it does bitrate check and slower,med,fast video conversion but with quality loss based on what you pick, then use Dvdfab to make it into an ISO file and then you can use ImageBurn or Nero to burn the ISO file. I have burned with both and never had a problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Say no more.

Oh dear. If aedipuss is following this thread he must be thinking: 'Ha! Another "newbie throwdown", been a lot of those lately.'

Okay, so all-in-one programs have one thing to offer: Little knowledge required. But the tradeoff is usually a program that's bloated and does nothing well. (Nero, anyone?) At least DVDFab is a good decrypter and it's not terribly bloated. Lets just not pretend it can do anything else well.

hehe - yeah, lately seems to be a losing battle against the "know it all" noobie younsters. reminds me of my son the other day. he took out my canon t3i, installed a 55-300mm lens, and external flash to take a picture of a piece of paper sitting on top of the scanner to email to a friend.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    slayer_of_all, Couldn't you just use DVDfab to rip to hard drive and make ISO file all at once? Also does BDtoAVCHD create a BMDV & Certificate folder? If so couldn't you just burn them without creating a ISO file?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    slayer_of_all, Couldn't you just use DVDfab to rip to hard drive and make ISO file all at once? Also does BDtoAVCHD create a BMDV & Certificate folder? If so couldn't you just burn them without creating a ISO file?
    Yeah he is adding more steps and programs than needed.

RIP (anydvd/DVDFab) convert/re-encode (BDtoAVCHD) then burn with ImgBurn, no need to make an ISO first.

And if you use DVDFab you can set it to rip movie only and select what audio & sub tracks you want to keep.
    Then if it needs to be "shrunk" down for a BD-R just open it in BDRB and run it.

Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    hehe - yeah, lately seems to be a losing battle against the "know it all" noobie younsters. reminds me of my son the other day. he took out my canon t3i, installed a 55-300mm lens, and external flash to take a picture of a piece of paper sitting on top of the scanner to email to a friend.
    LOL!!!

Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Say no more.

Oh dear. If aedipuss is following this thread he must be thinking: 'Ha! Another "newbie throwdown", been a lot of those lately.

Well gheez.....
    Pretty much everything i touched on can be figured out with very little effort and very little exploration, probably less time than it took to post and wait for a reply
    It's not like it's some kind of advanced AviSynth script
    LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think we all agree that AnyDVD an DVDfab are the best for ripping to hard drive, But what does everyone think is the best program to shrink a Blu-ray to a BD25 between the programs BDrebuilder, BDtoAVCHD, or Ripbot.
    Quote Quote  
  20. All the programs you mention use the x264 encoder and pretty much all the same supporting programs as well such as AviSynth, tsmuxer, etc., so it's a matter of which GUI you prefer. Add AVCHDCoder to your list too. Presets are going to be somewhat different.

I like BDRB for doing BD25 backups, and have switched over to RipBot for doing MKVs, mainly because it can do hardsubs.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I like BDRB for doing BD25 backups, and have switched over to RipBot for doing MKVs, mainly because it can do hardsubs.
    I also prefer BDRB for Bluray backups for the reasons i mentioned in my earlier post.
    Removing crap i don't want to see, warning, trailers, etc.

I can see no difference between the original and backup to BDR 25 from a 40gb original bluray on my 46" 1080p HDTV.
    But i also use 2 pass encode set to "highest (very slow)".
    It takes quiet some time even on my system, which is a pretty fast system, but i usually set up 2-3 movies and start them before i go to bed and let it run all night and the next day while i am at work.

I have used Handbrake to make a couple of 8gb MKV's from bluray and was totally satisfied with the results.
    But i have only used it a couple of times for that purpose only so i don't have a ton of experience with it.

And i tried BDtoAVCHD a couple of times, but it did not seem to have as much control or let you really tweak your settings as Handbrake does when making MKV's or adding external subs or audio, etc.
    Or allow you to remove things like BDRB does.

I have not really messed with Ripbot yet so i can't comment on it.

But for full bluray backups, BDRB.
    For MKV's, Handbrake.

And i am coming up to 75 full bluray backups using BDRB and i only have been satisfied to about 98%, the video quality is excellent and the only complaint i have is about how it "blanks" things you want to remove.
    But that is probably for another thread.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys, I kind of fogot about tsMuxer since it isn't updated anymore, The main reason for my question was that I have been using BDrebuilder for a couple months now but I have been having problems with it, Keeps coming up, cannot reencode video x264 cannot continue, One time it goes about 30% the next about 50 to 60% this is trying all on the same movie, Went over to BDrebuilder's thread at doom9 and most of the guys were having no problems and some are, So I guess it must be my computer which is fairly new and not much on it, So I'm going to give another program a shot.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hi all,

I went through the valuable info above, but it seems to apply to the 'rip/save to hdd' option. I am kinda new to all this and have saved the bd as an .iso file and it is quite large. It doesn't fit in a 25gb disc. How should I proceed? Is there a solution to this or only option is to burn ro a dl disc? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Use BDrebuilder to fit it to 25BD as per instructions up in this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Hi guys - I'm fairly new to Blu-ray ripping but one of the first things I did was to rip a 50GB Blu-ray to a 25GB disc using DVDFab. It was a very easy process (one button, essentially) to get it to shrink the disc to 25GB and the whole encode took about an hour. I didn't watch the full disc, but I went to a few spots and everything looked great to me.

After that, I started reading more and saw lots of opinions on how BD Rebuilder was miles ahead of DVD Fab. So, I decided to reshrink the 50GB blu-ray to 25GB using BD Rebuilder, which was a bit more of a complicated process. The whole encode took almost 3 hours and after burning the disc and taking a look at both...I really can't see a difference.

Is there a chance that the DVDFab encoder has gotten better? I noticed a lot of people talking about how BDRB uses x264, and I was encoding with DVDFab I noticed that it said it was using x264 too. Could that be it?

Here are some screenshots to compare. If you can notice a difference, then maybe I need glasses. (This is 2F2F, btw)

Encoder 1: https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/x14Eb.jpg

Encoder 2: https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/WGKUJ.jpg

Encoder 1: https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/pUxp2.jpg

Encoder 2: https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/gZX6G.jpg

Encoder 1: https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/yocXf.jpg

Encoder 2: https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/Fi7ah.jpg

Encoder 1: https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/A2F1L.jpg

Encoder 2: https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/ZetZ8.jpg
    Quote Quote