VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello

I am making short videos (1 to 2 minutes). These videos are steps to follow to solve math problems for teaching use.

Would it be possible to have a video player that pause at every chapters of a mp4 video ? We would have to press play again to see the next step until the video pauses before the next step.

Any idea on how to do this ?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Share lossless video into parts. Player will stop and then you can go to the next part. Track chapter can be discarded.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for your answer.
    I can not split the videos into many files, I would prefer a solution that keeps a single video file...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jbeausej View Post
    I can not split the videos into many files, I would prefer a solution that keeps a single video file...
    You got a solution but you do not want it?

What is the problem splitting the files?

Quote Quote  
  5. You can probably use Adobe Flash or Edge Animate.

However, breaking the file down into sections, which you rejected earlier, gives you more options, simpler coding and can provide an identical user experience.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you all !

I have more than 40 small videos explaining math problems step by step. That you make 200+ files !

I want the video files to be playable by ANY media player without the chapters bonus because teachers are going to use this from different computers. And I would like to offer an option with a specific media player or way of doing things that makes it possible to pause the video between each steps.

I hope im clear enough. Flash is the option I am considering right now.

Thanks again for your replies !
    Quote Quote  
  7. Not in the way that you described it.

Typically this would be done though HTML/ HTML5 through a web interface, or flash as described above, or a custom player/software

The only way I can see this working in a single file, is if you encode gaps between questions (video is actually playing, but it's a video of the last frame repeated) and you use chapter navigation buttons to advance (not through play and pause buttons). You could make it "VFR" (variable frame rate) to save bandwidth. This should work with all common players e.g. vlc, mpchc, potplayer etc....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    I have more than 40 small videos explaining math problems step by step. That you make 200+ files !
    200+ files.....
    Yes and?

Are you familiar with the concept of folders?

I want the video files to be playable by ANY media player without the chapters bonus because teachers are going to use this from different computers. And I would like to offer an option with a specific media player or way of doing things that makes it possible to pause the video between each steps.
    Here is a solution bordering epic brilliance:

You copy all videos and cut up the copied videos and stick them in separate folders. That way teachers can chose to view the whole video and also the cutup versions.

Folders
    ---------
    Full videos
    - Video 1
    - Video 2
    - Video 3

Cut up videos
    - Video 1
    - Video 2
    - Video 3

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Umm...a DVD or BD also makes sense in this situation.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Umm...a DVD or BD also makes sense in this situation.
    DVD certainly does. OP's preferred players (VLC, MPC-HC etc.) don't strictly honor BR navigation.
    Quote Quote