VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Apologies if this has been asked before.
    And apologies if this seems like a very basic question.

Please can anyone tell me how to capture video, say from Sky TV?

All I can do is to record onto a DVD recorder and this loses a lot of quality.

So, what equipment could/should I use?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sky TV is already digital, so you don't have to capture it.
    why would you want to store Sky TV ? while you can buy/download most of it ? in even beter quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by suntankid View Post

I occasionally capture from my Sky+HD box, but it's not straightforward due to HDCP (a type of copy protection). You'll need at least two pieces of equipment if you want to capture via HDMI: (1) an HDMI capture card, and (2) a splitter box that ignores the copy protection signal. (The latter also allows you to feed the Sky box to both your TV and computer at the same time.)

For the capturing, a game capture device with an HDMI input is probably your best bet - I'll allow others to make specific recommendations. For the splitter box, I'm afraid you're going to have to Google it as the type you need seem to come and go.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are even some HDMI splitters which remove anti copy signals, but you are still not capturing SkyTV.... you are converting a copyrighted protected digital signal.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Mr Chris View Post
    Originally Posted by suntankid View Post

I occasionally capture from my Sky+HD box, but it's not straightforward due to HDCP (a type of copy protection). You'll need at least two pieces of equipment if you want to capture via HDMI: (1) an HDMI capture card, and (2) a splitter box that ignores the copy protection signal. (The latter also allows you to feed the Sky box to both your TV and computer at the same time.)

For the capturing, a game capture device with an HDMI input is probably your best bet - I'll allow others to make specific recommendations. For the splitter box, I'm afraid you're going to have to Google it as the type you need seem to come and go.
    Many thanks for your reply, Mr Chris.

I shall try and Google and see if I can find a splitter box. Not too sure exactly what I'll be looking for though?!

Suny.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by suntankid View Post
    I shall try and Google and see if I can find a splitter box. Not too sure exactly what I'll be looking for though?!
    This article about "using non-HDCP compliant equipment with equipment that seems to require HDCP" may be worth a read, including the comments:

https://www.tweaking4all.com/home-theatre/remove-hdcp-hdmi-signal/

I stress that what you're trying to do is a much bigger headache than you're imagining.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It's still a lossy process and an expensive one, Get with Sky and see if they can supply you with a free DVR box so you can record your shows or buy a used one yourself and install it, I know European TV companies have loose rules when it comes to hardware not like here in the US where the hardware is owned, supplied and activated by the contents providers.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you all, for your replies and suggestions.

I shall see what the best way is for going forward with this.
    Quote Quote