VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry if this is the wrong forum (maybe should go in Off Topic).
    I've occasionally bought what I assume are minted discs (usually dvds) which have a ding in the outer edge of the silver, inside the plastic. Should I be concerned (return them), even if the dvd plays fine and can be read in a PC?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The thread is OK here.

If it plays back fine, I wouldn't worry too much. You might want to back up the questionable DVDs just in case the layers may have become separated, as that could get worse in the future. It's unusual for the layers to separate on regular commercial stamped discs and for the foil to have internal damage.

I am a bit surprised at your description of the disc condition. I assume these are regular commercial stamped discs and not some inferior copies. If they are, then no idea of the quality of the disc material and the longevity of the video on it.

You might take a look at LS's site, though it mostly applies to burned DVDs: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/media/index.htm

I know it may be a bit difficult, but could you post a photo of the damaged area on one of your problem discs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well, it looks worse in person. The black area is actually silver on the outer edge, beyond what I imagine is the information part of the disc. The bite looks like it's impinging into the info area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cd nick.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	7501
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I assume the white specs are from your scanner and not on the disc itself ?

Anywho, try ripping the disc and see if it rips all the way through alright.

I have had a couple that had a spot like that on the outer edge, maybe slightly farther in, as it does not look like it is into the lighter silver area, and they would not rip past the first layer.

That kind of looks like it is just part of the backing chipped off, where the label is silk screened on.
    But if it is too far in it won't rip past the first layer, assuming it is a DL disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    specks are dirt on the scanner. The ding is inside the plastic - the black is actually silver, and part of the silver film inside. It's only showing up as black, and is not the silhouette of the label on the other side. The label is actually smaller in diameter than where the bite mark is.
    It ripped fine, which is what I meant by it reading okay in a PC (sorry I wasnt clear).
    This is from a limited quantity run of dvds, so I guess for my own peace of mind, I should return it.
    Oh, I forgot to add: why me?! why?!
    Last edited by spiritgumm; 20th Jun 2011 at 23:10.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    It ripped fine, which is what I meant by it reading okay in a PC (sorry I wasnt clear).
    I just figured you watched it through, which is usually more forgiving than actually ripping it.

This is from a limited quantity run of dvds, so I guess for my own piece of mind, I should return it.
    Yeah if it is something not commonly available i'd probably return it for an exchange even though it ripped okay which shows the damage or blemish is not into the area that is actually being read.

Oh, I forgot to add: why me?! why?!
    Yeah, i have had that feeling a time or two!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    why us?! why?!
    Quote Quote