VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello everyone,

I wanted to know if it's possible to load the "unsharp" filter from Xvid4PSP 7.0 on Avisynth?
    I like this sharpening filter (luma effect strength sharpening) and I want to know if it's possible to load it elsewhere.
    thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't know if it's this one or not, as I haven't used XviD4PSP in awhile. But, yes, anything XviD4PSP has you can use in other AviSynth scripts. Since it's a part of the VariableBlur filter, you have to download it before you can use Unsharp. And since you're already using XviD4PSP, you should already have VariableBlur and you're ready to go.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I don't know if it's this one or not, as I haven't used XviD4PSP in awhile. But, yes, anything XviD4PSP has you can use in other AviSynth scripts. Since it's a part of the VariableBlur filter, you have to download it before you can use Unsharp. And since you're already using XviD4PSP, you should already have VariableBlur and you're ready to go.
    In fact i wanted to use this "unsharp" filter in megui via avisynth. Can you tell me if there is a .dll or .avs file to call in the script?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    When i try to load it on a script I have this message "avisynth access violation at 0x000A8DE8 in C:\Windows\system32\fftw3w.dll attempting to read from 0x00000280
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by david.dgc View Post
    Can you tell me if there is a .dll or .avs file to call in the script?
    Maybe it's a different filter then. It clearly says in the error message that you need the fftw3w.dll. If you got it with the Unsharp filter, you're supposed to put it into your Windows/System32 folder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think it's a ffmpeg filter . The parameters match the screenshot above for xvid4psp

https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#unsharp-1
    https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/master/libavfilter/unsharp.h

I don't think there is a direct avisynth port from the ffmpeg filter . But you can probably get similar results using other filters
    Quote Quote  
  7. I used XviD4PSP steadily for a few years and, as far as I know, its encoding used pure AviSynth. Maybe that's changed since then as I was having all kinds of problems finding exactly what he was using and especially the fftw3w.dll once it was mentioned. So what you say makes sense as I have never used ffmpeg and never want to.

As for a similar AviSynth version, the ffmpeg Unsharp seems very similar to the AviSynth Unsharp I mentioned before which also has that luma-only strength adjustment david.dgc mentioned specifically. The earlier link I provided for VariableBlur also has links to the other dependencies.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by david.dgc View Post
    Can you tell me if there is a .dll or .avs file to call in the script?
    Maybe it's a different filter then. It clearly says in the error message that you need the fftw3w.dll. If you got it with the Unsharp filter, you're supposed to put it into your Windows/System32 folder.
    I have a Win10 x64. I put this fft3w.dll on system32 folder and also the 64bit version on the system folder for x64 version but I still have this error..
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I tried several sharpening filters, but I think that none has the final result this one has (correct me with some exemples if my wrong).
    Is there a way to "call" this sharpening filter from ffmpeg into an avisynth script?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I used XviD4PSP steadily for a few years and, as far as I know, its encoding used pure AviSynth. Maybe that's changed since then as I was having all kinds of problems finding exactly what he was using and especially the fftw3w.dll once it was mentioned. So what you say makes sense as I have never used ffmpeg and never want to.

As for a similar AviSynth version, the ffmpeg Unsharp seems very similar to the AviSynth Unsharp I mentioned before which also has that luma-only strength adjustment david.dgc mentioned specifically. The earlier link I provided for VariableBlur also has links to the other dependencies.
    I think that you are talking about the 5.0 version from Xvid4PSP that worked directly with avisynth, this recent one, I think that works differently.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by david.dgc View Post
    I have a Win10 x64. I put this fft3w.dll on system32 folder and also the 64bit version on the system folder for x64 version but I still have this error.
    For 64 bit it's the SysWOW folder. However, your earlier error message referred to an fftw3w.dll. Note the extra 'W'. I couldn't find it. Did you try the AviSynth Unsharp filter yet?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I have a Win10 x64. I put this fft3w.dll on system32 folder and also the 64bit version on the system folder for x64 version but I still have this error.
    For 64 bit it's the SysWOW folder. However, your earlier error message referred to an fftw3w.dll. Note the extra 'W'. I couldn't find it. Did you try the AviSynth Unsharp filter yet?
    Sorry i forgot this "w". I can now load it on avisynth. Do you have any clues how to tweak only the luma sharpening?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by david.dgc View Post
    Do you have any clues how to tweak only the luma sharpening?
    Code:
    MergeChroma(luma_clip, chroma_clip)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Code:
    MergeChroma(luma_clip, chroma_clip)
    Can you please explain me what is this command supposed to do? How I m supposed to tweak the luma sharpening?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I don't have the particular filter you are discussing so I don't know what its capabilities are. But in general:

MergeChroma() makes a clip using the luma from one clip, the chroma from another. If a tool doesn't support treating luma and chroma differently you can create two videos, one with the luma changes you want (it doesn't matter what happens to the chroma), the other with the chroma changes you want (it doesn't matter what happens to the luma). Then merge the luma from the first, the chroma from the second. A simple example:

Code:
    WhateverSource()
    luma = Sharpen(0.5)
    chroma = Blur(1.0)
    MergeChroma(luma, chroma)
    That will give you a clip with sharpened luma, blurred chroma.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Mar 2018 at 18:07.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by david.dgc View Post
    Using Unsharp?

Unsharp(Strength=0.7,Y=3, U=2, V=2)

As near as I can tell from reading the doc, it sharpens only the luma by default. The 0.7 Strength is the default value and goes up to 1. The Y plane (the luma) is sharpened, the U and V planes (the colors) are left alone. Those are all default values and there are other settings as well. I've never used it myself and only did some testing just now. I work with black and white sources so the testing wasn't all that thorough.
    Quote Quote