VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Why most people look for memorex dvd r? All memorex DVDs have higher price. And between Ritek and higher class (like memorex and verbatim) , Which should I choose?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't look for it. I choose neither ritek or verbatim. It's all about the media code. Check out nomorecoasters.com......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you're majorly confused. Nobody in their right mind hunts for Memorex. They often stock the lowest common denominator. Cheap/budget media IDs, with a few exceptions (PRODISC, RICOH ... neither of which are really done these days).

www.nomorecoasters.com
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I think you're majorly confused. Nobody in their right mind hunts for Memorex. They often stock the lowest common denominator. Cheap/budget media IDs, with a few exceptions (PRODISC, RICOH ... neither of which are really done these days).

www.nomorecoasters.com
    When is Verbatim not about the media code? Aside from Datalifeplus pastels which are TY media (and only sold on the European market), all Verbatim 8x and higher DVD media is MCC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forget Memorex and get Verbatim +r and -r and Fujifilm DVD +r and you will get good media.
    You can't go wrong with Fujifilm and Maxell made in Japan either.

K-Mart had Fujifilm MIJ +r 20pc for $7.00 when i was there Tuesday. The -r were made in taiwan and are probably ProdiscF01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gen-An
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf

www.nomorecoasters.com
    When is Verbatim not about the media code? Aside from Datalifeplus pastels which are TY media (and only sold on the European market), all Verbatim 8x and higher DVD media is MCC.
    Old stock is still out there. A sibling bought some Verbatim a while back at Office Depot. I told her they'd be safe. My mistake. She picked up 2x CMC discs. Made her return them. Many of those old packs have NO LISTED SPEED on them, so those unfamiliar with buying discs may get them without knowing they are neither 4x-8x nor MCC, etc.

Brand means nothing.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Scottsoso, just curious...who gave you the idea that people actually sought out Memorex media...? Are you sure you're not mistaken with Maxell?
    :star: :star: :star: :star:
    Archived DVD Scans

Nero V ImgTools V Decrypter
    :star: :star: :star: :star:
    Quote Quote  
  8. Fandim,

http://www.bizrate.com/buy/browse__cat_id--438.html
    sort by: Best Match
    There are 4 Verbatim, 3 Memorex, 3 Maxell, 1 Ritek, 1 Fuji on this page.

I don't find media code for memorex from www.nomorecoasters.com? Is it same as Maxell?

And I saw philips media @ supermediastore. Is it CMC code?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by scottsoso
    Fandim,

I don't find media code for memorex from www.nomorecoasters.com? Is it same as Maxell?

Maxell and Memorex do NOT have the same media ID. As far as the philips media at SMS, why are you so interested in getting branded suff and not TYs or Prodiscs?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Those happy faces are the retail/online outlets reviews NOT the media. The media has zero reviews!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by aanaravs
    Originally Posted by scottsoso
    Fandim,

Maxell and Memorex do NOT have the same media ID.
    Not exactly the same, but they are both Ricoh where I'm at...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It has more to do with suppliers than location. A store may recieve a shipment of one media ID for a brand, but the next shipment may be different. The brand names may also switch manufacturers.

I have also heard of people getting multiple different media ID codes in a single splindle (memorex).

I liken memorex to a "grab bag," you never know what your going to get.
    Some people say dog is mans best friend. I say that man is dog's best slave... At least that is what my dogs think.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Do not want to buy Memorex any more. Bought 25pcs DVD+R and 60% failed at "Lead-in" period during burning with nero. No response at all from their customer service. Use Pioneer DVR-108, with 2.4X and 4X
    burning speed.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newnews
    Do not want to buy Memorex any more. Bought 25pcs DVD+R and 60% failed at "Lead-in" period during burning with nero. No response at all from their customer service. Use Pioneer DVR-108, with 2.4X and 4X
    burning speed.
    <vent>
    I bought a 10-pack of Memorex CD-RW's a few years back and of the first 6 I tried to use, 5 of them failed @ lead-in. Needless to say, the whole pack went back and were replaced by TDK's a few weeks later. Since then, I could drive by a tipped over Memorex truck that has spilled its load all over the road with 100's of people scrambling for free media, and I wouldn't even bother to stop and just drive by laaaaaaaughing at all the suckers setting themselves up for disaster.

Imo: You couldn't give me Memorex media, of any type, free or not. Hell, you couldn't pay me to take them either - I wouldn't (and never will) trust anything written to them.
    </vent>

Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    HillJack, kind of quiet in your hood. No office parties...? Sorry, off topic.

All my Memorex CDR's are still alive I presume but DVD-R...? No, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by proxyx99

All my Memorex CDR's are still alive I presume but DVD-R...? No, thanks.
    keep buying them....the worst media out there
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I will, thanks for the encouragement (I may need it). Somebody has to... that is my sacrifice for the society.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by aanaravs
    Not exactly, but they're both Ricoh where I'm at...
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by proxyx99
    Nope, just a simple analogy to help the slower folks here.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by fmctm1sw
    Originally Posted by aanaravs
    Not exactly, but they're both Ricoh where I'm at...
    You're talking about +R.

For -R, the difference is night and day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MY FIRST CD BURNER WAS MEMOMOREX BRANDED
    It sucked (phillips inside)
    2X burner with 2MB cache
    $299.00
    and MEMOREX MEDIA was still garbage back then

Now I FIND
    VERBATIM, MAXELL, FUJI

all beat the PANTS off MEMOREX (and STAPLES DVD or some such)

and JAXXBOSS
    what is wrong with this pictur
    http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/product_info/overview/index__cat_id--438,prod_id--7824620.html
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Quote from Memorex website:
    History
    Established in 1970, Hopper, a family run business, has grown from a small wholesale company to a large-scale manufacturer and distributor of name brand consumer electronics worldwide. Since our early years, we have been a pioneer in the reverse logistics of consumer electronics. In 1974 Hopper established an office in Taiwan and began developing relationships with the major factories in Asia. As a result, in 1995, Hopper Inc. established Memcorp Inc. and Memcorp Asia LTD, to develop Memorex brand consumer electronics. Memcorp's distribution now extends well beyond the U.S to Canada, South America, and Europe. Due to this expansion, Hopper has been repositioned as a holding company to focus its resources on ventures that will allow for continued growth.

Mission
    Our mission is simple – Provide customers with the most innovative products. Come through with products that reflect the value and quality associated with the Memorex brand. Back up the product with outstanding customer service. We are keeping abreast of the latest trends in consumer electronics, so that we may provide the most innovative, quality products to you. We hope that you find our website helpful in keeping in touch with the latest at Memcorp.

This is what they do: "reverse logistics", recirculation, distribution of Sth. Asian products and "keeping abreast"...
    No word on R&D. They buy cheap and sell at lower prices then "brand name" products. That's all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What he's saying and I'm seconding here, it ain't the same firm that allowed ELLA FITZGERALD and others to proclaim "IS it LIVE or is it MEMOREX?"
    in the day of TAPE.. This company made their own TAPE in ASIA in the EIGHTIES, but became fly by night by the MID-NINETIES (Moving to ARIZONA and changing to the Memtek sub name)
    Quote Quote  
  24. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by scottsoso
    Why most people look for memorex dvd r? All memorex DVDs have higher price. And between Ritek and higher class (like memorex and verbatim) , Which should I choose?
    I don't like Memorex, Ritek or Verbatim :P And I doubt "most" people do, unless by most you mean "you"
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only Memorex I've really purchased was the 4x DVD+R, and only when I knew the media was RICOHJPNR01 (the old spindle hub color/label information way to figure it out before buying). At this point now, even though in Canada it's not a lot cheaper to go mail-order than retail, there's still plenty of deals at any given point for media that is in general of much higher quality (Fujifilm Made in Japan [Taiyo Yuden], and Maxell Made In Japan).... The only Memorex media I'll buy at this point are the +RW discs for my DVD recorder...
    Quote Quote  
  26. I bought one box of Memorex DVD RWs and they were junk. More than half I couldn't even use. I'll never buy them again. Is it Memorex or is it junk?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The memorex DVD+RW 2.4x I bought were INFODISCA01 and they are Momorcrap but the 3 pac of Memprex DVD+RW 4x were RICOHJPN W11.
    Quote Quote  
  28. keep on not buying them and send them my way! That's all I buy is Memorex dvd+r 4x

I've only had a cple that wouldnt work (meaning on start up) but compared to the price I gottem for it was well worth it!

Every burn works great........and thats with everything and shrinked at 48% and above........maybe its your wack comps and burners that have the problem
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i use memorex quite often and have not had a coaster yet...i also tried verbatim and maxell but mostly memorex....the dvd's i made last year still work great in every player i put them in
    Quote Quote