VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all.
    I now have a fair experience of dvd authoring and burning along with vcd/svcd creation and avi conversions etc, but i want to start capturing some of my old analogue stuff of my family and convert to digital. Ok you say, but heres the problem....

Our family camcorder is a sony TRV245E digital 8(takes hi 8 tapes also has firewire out) So i was going to capture from this device to PC, which has worked nicely for me in the past. Now i have a shed load of old VHS which i would love to capture BUT the camcorder does not have "VHS in" support.

So is there a way for me to get my old vhs onto hi8 tapes so i can play them through my camcorder into my PC??

I know i am clutching at straws here but any ideas are very welcome.

Thanks.
    "Pull your tongue out of my ar$e hole Gary...dogs do that. Your not a dog are you Gary?"
    "Err no...."
    "But you do have all the characteristics of a dog Gary...all except loyalty."
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nice Steve Reeves avatar - bodybuilding fan?

Bottom line, you need a hi8 recorder. Try eBay where you may get a deal on an analog one, or rent a Digital8 camcorder with audio/video in (so you can record digital right away)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not get a analog to DV device? Models of recommendation area:

Canopus ADVC-50, ADVC-55, ADVC-100, ADVC-300
    Datavideo DAC-100, DAC-2, DAC-10
    Laird Telemedia LTM-5500

Also JVC has at least one model DV/SVHS combo deck with firewire connection.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the input lads...

lechtin Posted: Jan 09, 2004 07:59

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice Steve Reeves avatar - bodybuilding fan?
    Yeah mate.....been training for a good few years now..sorta becomes a way of life. Steve Reeves had the ultimate physique and is very inspiring for me.
    "Pull your tongue out of my ar$e hole Gary...dogs do that. Your not a dog are you Gary?"
    "Err no...."
    "But you do have all the characteristics of a dog Gary...all except loyalty."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Datavideo (www.datavideo.co.uk) make a widget that converts a UK spec non-DV/analogue IN camcorder into one that can do this. However they don't list the 245e so it might not be possible. It might just be that it is newer than their list though.

If your camcorder can't have the in function enabled, you'll need to either buy an external device as suggested or upgrade the camcorder to one that can do it.
    Quote Quote