VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I simply need to use Handbrake to change the resolution on a video and then save the results. The input video is at a standard 720p size (1280x720) and I would to up the output resolution to a standard 1080p size (1920x1080). Could someone offer a suggestion for doing that - starting with the product defaults presented as the program starts up? I am an IT guy but have little or no experience with video. I think I am experiencing feature/capability overload with Handbrake as I try to make this one change and accept all of the defaults it gives me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use vidcoder to do what you want,it uses the handbrake engine.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just. Don't do it.

Not necessary for playback, not necessary for editing.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Just. Don't do it.

Scott
    Hi Scott,
    Sorry but I don't understand what your message means. Are you saying don't use VidCoder or don't increase the output resolution or ?

As I said, I am an IT guy (long-time C++ and C# developer who has designed many, many user interface screens) and I am used to using software with lots of options and parameters but there is simply something on Handbrake that I am missing. VidCoder did the conversion just fine because there was and option for "Manual" under the Sizing tab. It let me do what I have been trying to do on Handbrake. How do I duplicate that "let me pick what resolution I want" option on Handbrake?

As for now, when I try to manually select the output resolution to 1920x1080, it keeps resetting itself to the input resolution. I can't find any combination of options/parameters under the Dimensions tab to let me simply manually select the output size. I have tried every (I think) option on Anamorphic, having the "maintain the input ratio" checked or unchecked, and several different Presets - no combination works. Plus, when I mouse over the size selection control it warns me that the selections only control the dimensions that the output will be stored at and that the display dimensions may come out as something else. The bottom line is that is just want to change the output resolution and, I assume, have it stored that way on disk. I don't want to change the quality (I did figure out how to do that) but just want to change the size. Where am I going wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  5. but there is simply something on Handbrake that I am missing.
    HandBrake can't upscale only downscale.

To upscale you need Vidcoder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Upscaleing it won't give you more detail,if anything it will be worse, just let your monitor or TV upscale it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WannaBeAVideoGuy View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Just. Don't do it.

Scott
    ... The bottom line is that is just want to change the output resolution and, I assume, have it stored that way on disk. I don't want to change the quality (I did figure out how to do that) but just want to change the size. Where am I going wrong?
    The problem is that you WILL change the quality, it'll be worse. As mentioned it won't add any detail anyway. An encoder can't put information in if it isn't there, which an IT guy should uinderstand with no problem. A waste of time and disk space overall.
    Quote Quote