VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I am thinking about getting my first HD TV. I am going to get an LCD, and I am considering these two options:

Panasonic - VIERA / 42" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-+VIERA+/+42%22+Class+/+1080p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9783676.p?id=1218174062064&skuId=9783676

Or this one:

Toshiba - 46" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LCD HDTV
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+46%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9835115.p?id=1218181016262&skuId=9835115

There is a 150 buck difference between the Panasonic and the Toshiba.
    The Toshiba is 4 inches bigger and has a 120HZ refresh rate. The Panasonic is 60HZ.
    Are those two features worth 150 bucks?
    Your opinion will be truly welcome.
    Thanks a lot!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't buy a Toshiba TV if someone paid me. Get the Panasonic. Just my 2 cents!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick reply, Bubz. What's wrong with Toshiba?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Panasonic is no-lose compared to Toshiba and several other brands, for a variety of reasons ranging from initial quality control to ability to be repaired later. Whether you think the picture quality is better or worse is subjective: I know many people, including my own mother, who are just floored by the current Samsung LED/LCD models. She doesn't give a rats ass about their atrocious durability history, she liked the picture better than the Panasonic I recommended, and that was the end of it. The days of significant brand differences died with CRT televisions: the majority of brands including Sony now use LCD panels made by Sharp, and almost all plasmas use Panasonic screens. See what looks good to your eyes, then check quality control and other issues previous owners have reported. Compromise on overall quality vs immediate PQ gratification: "the best" often doesn't stay that way for more than six months after you buy it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The refresh rate (120Hz) is divisible by the frame rate of film, as in DVDs and Blu-Rays. So no pulldown judder.

Personally, I'd get a Panasonic plasma. I have a plasma and an LCD, and the plasma has the better picture (true blacks and better color overall), even though it's only 42" 720p versus the 47" 1080p LCD. The importance of true blacks really shows with movies, which often have dark scenes.

Also, go big, the biggest you have room for. My TVs seemed enormous after our 25" and 27" CRTs, but I kinda wish now I'd gone bigger. You won't regret going big.

Like this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Panasonic-TC-P50S2/14711122

JMO. Good luck.

Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot, guys! I really appreciate your feedback.
    I was told that an LCD would work better than a plasma because the room where the TV will be is quite bright. It is my understanding that Plasmas don't do that well in brighter rooms.
    Any more comments on this? Thanks again!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. That's mostly a matter of reflection glare in bright rooms due to the glass screen. How much of a problem that would be depends on positioning and whether direct sunlight falls on the screen. Note that the viewing angle of plasma is wider than LCD, though the "screen-door" effect is greater if you get real close. Burn-in is not a factor with new sets, and they've gotten more efficient in regard to power consumption.

Just to throw one more possibility out, have a look at this big-ass DLP set:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889248057

Minimum "screen-door" effect, although viewing angle is a bit more restrictive than LCD. The lamp has to be replaced at 2000-5000 hrs of use, though it's user-replaceable. A bit bulkier than LCD or plasma. Excellent color, blacks, contrast and smoothness.

I'm actually really tempted right now to get the 73" or maybe the 82" model. IIRC, Dafoe got the 73" one recently.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you get.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=orsetto;2035681]Panasonic is no-lose compared to Toshiba and several other brands, for a variety of reasons ranging from initial quality control to ability to be repaired later. Whether you think the picture quality is better or worse is subjective: I know many people, including my own mother, who are just floored by the current Samsung LED/LCD models. She doesn't give a rats ass about their atrocious durability history, she liked the picture better than the Panasonic I recommended, and that was the end of it./QUOTE]

For what it's worth, I not only bought a Samsung LCD myself, I recommended Samsung to 3 different friends and family members and everybody has been extremely pleased with their TVs. Just my 2 cents. I'm a little surprised that the original poster has excluded Samsung from consideration.

In my opinion there's no reason to go with plasma any more as the arguments about LCDs having inferior viewing angles and so on haven't been true for years. It does also seem to be true that many of the technical objections to plasma TVs are no longer accurate either, but you can save money with LCD and honestly, the odds are quite high that most people won't notice any difference between LCD and plasma. As far as the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz goes, I am also skeptical that most people would find the difference worth an extra $150. Note that fans of both plasma TVs and 120Hz TVs may defend both rather intensely, but the only opinion that matters is yours as other people don't have to live with what you buy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Resist buying the latest hunk-o-junk on sale, and save up for a Sharp Aquos.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Panasonic makes nice IPS LCD panels

cheaper than worst buy plus free shipping and no Tax, Free 30 Day TV Returns

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-L42U22-42-Inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/B0038KLCQ0/ref=sr_1_1?...0835827&sr=1-1
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LED-backlit anyday.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  12. sheesh... LOL! I'm in the same boat as OP, so I'm looking at this thread and everyone's got a different opinion! LOL! I'm sorta swayed towards LED...?
    Quote Quote  
  13. the question is .what's your budget?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot for the replies!
    My budget is 600 bucks (aprox).
    I didn't exclude Samsung for any particular reason. I actually have never had anything of that brand. Do you have any particular suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Did you check the Panasonic reviews on amazon,and AVS forums ? Also ask BB to hook up a BD for testing
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One can always say LCD is better than plasma or vice-versa. There will be a lot of subjectiveness there, some tested as fact (if trivial or the effects are hard to see), some urban legend.
    But the one thing you can't argue about LED-backlit LCD TVs is that they have pushed the bar up for energy economy. There are any number of reviews around that have quantified this fact, and the differences in energy consumption between two TVs with all specs the same or so, one conventional fluorescent-lamp, and the other LED-backlit can be significant, like here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lcd-backlight-led-cfl,2683.html
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  17. When I buy a TV I care about PQ not energy consumption lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LED's are dimmer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One can have superior PQ and still be energy efficient ...
    Quote Quote  
  20. I don't think they make any IPS LED panels
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I got a new tv a few months ago, and although the new LEDs are really nice PQ, the latest LCDs were just as good, infact in HD you couldn't tell the difference. Main difference I saw between them was that LEDs are thinner, and much pricier. Settled for Samsung, no regrets.
    Quote Quote  
  22. [QUOTE=jman98;2035692]
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Panasonic is no-lose compared to Toshiba and several other brands, for a variety of reasons ranging from initial quality control to ability to be repaired later. Whether you think the picture quality is better or worse is subjective: I know many people, including my own mother, who are just floored by the current Samsung LED/LCD models. She doesn't give a rats ass about their atrocious durability history, she liked the picture better than the Panasonic I recommended, and that was the end of it./QUOTE]

For what it's worth, I not only bought a Samsung LCD myself, I recommended Samsung to 3 different friends and family members and everybody has been extremely pleased with their TVs. Just my 2 cents. I'm a little surprised that the original poster has excluded Samsung from consideration.

In my opinion there's no reason to go with plasma any more as the arguments about LCDs having inferior viewing angles and so on haven't been true for years. It does also seem to be true that many of the technical objections to plasma TVs are no longer accurate either, but you can save money with LCD and honestly, the odds are quite high that most people won't notice any difference between LCD and plasma. As far as the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz goes, I am also skeptical that most people would find the difference worth an extra $150. Note that fans of both plasma TVs and 120Hz TVs may defend both rather intensely, but the only opinion that matters is yours as other people don't have to live with what you buy.
    They may be talking about the terrible durability of earlier Samsung HDTVs that were failing due to bad capacitors. In many cases not to long after the expiration of warranty. I don't think I'd be brave enough to buy one myself.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've opened up a Samsung LCD TV to replace bad capacitors in the PSU. That was just once, and have never come across it again (maybe it's because one-off). But that type of problem is not unique to Samsung, or for that matter LCD TVs; any modern equipment with a switching power supply that draws 50W or more are all prime candidates of expired capacitors in their output stages. This includes PC power supplies, etc. Electrolytic capacitors are considered the Achilles' heel of electronic equipment; they fail sooner and in more catastrophic ways than other electronic components.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I remember bad capacitors too Abit name down to the toilet
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again for all the info, guys!
    I ended up getting the Panasonic VIERA / 42" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD
    It seemed like the best deal after putting together all the info and after seeing how awesome it looks.
    Quote Quote  
  26. From bestbuy ,or amazon ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ooh, You chose 60hz over 120hz ?
    Quote Quote  
  28. no.he bought the 120hz one

Panasonic - VIERA / 42" Class / 1080p / 60Hz
    Quote Quote