VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Usually I can figure out any problem I have by lurking in the forums and almost always I will find a solution but this problem I can't seem to figure out so I turn to you folks more knowledgable than me. I have been burning my private collection of dvd's which I have then been able to play on my home dvd player. I have been using any dvd and clone dvd2 without problems for some time. Recently I have ventured into the usenet world and have tried to start downloading from there. However when I download something from usenet and burn it to a dvd, it will not play in my standalone player which is an Onkyo but it will play on my computer just fine. I know it is not a problem with my media which is Verbatim Dvd+r because they work in my dvd player when I copy my private collection and I know it is not the file that I downloaded because it plays in my computer. Am I missing something? The files come from the VIDEO_TS folder which I will then burn with nero 7 or CloneDVD2 without success in my player. I can get sound but no picture. Any help is appreciated for a first time poster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    welcome aboard
    use gspot to examine your files
    maybe it will show you a difference from your other files you've succesfully burnt
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A friendly tip for you. If you use a title for your post that frames your problem, more people will look at it. There are many more people who are interested in specific topics than the amount of hair you have.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Use ImgBurn in Build Mode to burn your DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe downloaded DVD is PAL - and your Onkyo player can´t handle this.
    Try zoobie´s comment - use Gspot to detect if the files are PAL.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    isuzubuddy, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well I accomplished the gspot testing and it is a dvd vob format and it is PAL with a codec of mpeg2. I also ran imgburn with build and verified the results. Everything looks good with the imgburn but still only sound. My dvd player is an Onkyo dv-cp702. I tried to look up if it plays PAL but can't seem to find that in the specs of the model. Any ideas where I could find that. Thanks for all the help in advance and to everybody who corrected me in my rookie mistakes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by isuzubuddy
    well I accomplished the gspot testing and it is a dvd vob format and it is PAL with a codec of mpeg2. I also ran imgburn with build and verified the results. Everything looks good with the imgburn but still only sound. My dvd player is an Onkyo dv-cp702. I tried to look up if it plays PAL but can't seem to find that in the specs of the model. Any ideas where I could find that. Thanks for all the help in advance and to everybody who corrected me in my rookie mistakes.
    It's a PAL problem. Either get a cheap Asian player or make sure to only grab NTSC downloads.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes, either your player can't play the video on PAL discs, or it is playing the video but putting out a PAL signal that your TV can't display. Check your players setup screen and look for any PAL/NTSC output options. Some players have PAL, NTSC, and Auto. The first two force the player to always output those formats. The last switches output to PAL or NTSC depending on the disc being played. If you don't have any controls like that you'll need a PAL/NTSC converting player or you'll have to convert the DVD from PAL to NTSC.
    Quote Quote