VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Full manual control Sony AX100E camcorder (lovely ) has photo mode which sees it operate as a camera.
    Fantastic hi res pics almost same size as my canon EOS 70D but spoilt by what is compression visible when same shot compared on a dSLR shooting RAW mode.
    Is there a Sony RAW mode for the stills, I see no reason why it couldnt have such, if not then where is setting to reduce the compression to 0 in what are jpg files.
    There is no harm in having user with choice of compression or not as the hardware is enough to take a superb photo and replace the need to also carry a dSLR but then its spoilt by compression which serious camcorder users and photographers wouldnt opt for.
    Else my hope of having one device does both is lost. ( and I did try out bridge and so on, but serious airshow filming saw them fail) I have to carry around a dSLR and have both on straps round my neck bashing together, double the weight, double the bags, double the kit to look after etc.

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  2. Only PEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver. 2.3, MPF Baseline-compliant)

https://www.sony.com/electronics/handycam-camcorders/fdr-ax100/specifications
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    guess no sony raw mode then, why the heck didnt they allow raw mode ?

even so why not allow hires jpg, it doesnt have to have artefacts added despoiling it. jpg can have 0 compression.
    that lovely lens up front and 4k image quality not taken full advantage of.

Guess I will have to carry around my dSLR at the same time, THATS A REAL NUISANCE TWO DEVICES ROUND THE NECK. SMASHING TOGETHER. DOUBLE WEIGHT. ETC.

For the sake of one setting.

There is no need to capture a pure image then mess it up. cards are big enough to hold uncompressed pics.

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would probably require a small amount of extra circuits to support RAW captures but usually people don't buy camcorders for professional RAW image captures. But whatever would be involved to provide RAW, it could potentially take away sales from Sony's DSLR/Mirrorless options. Sony isn't going to shoot themselves in the foot, especially if it can't even take RAW video. For normal photos I would not pick this camcorder as a great alternative to a DSLR, even with RAW. Considering the 20Megapixels on a 1inch sensor (not much light per pixel), which is obviously even smaller than Micro Four Third cameras.
    Quote Quote