VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have just finished ripping the TV-show "The Shield" on DVD into MKV rips and as you might know, this DVD is very dirty looking with plenty of noise and grain in the picture. I`m looking for a software/filter that could work to clean this up without loosing too much detail.

Any recommendations?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It might have been better to ask this question BEFORE you created the mkvs.

Ideally you need to work with a lossless codec and do any restoration with that and then convert/pack as needed.

You can try loading the mkv into avidemux and apply denoising there. The better approach is from lossless into avisynth of which I know fook all but there are many topics in the forum about this. Even so, denoising will always result in a softer picture so you do lose video detail.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thx, i will try de-noising with avidemux.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That won't get you much without using overly strong settings and destroying data.

Video encoding is lossy. It's not like sending a file thru WinZip. DVD has lost 40% or more of the original data, and re-encoding with the typical low-bitrate mkv method will lose another 30 to 60%, and filtering dirty noisy crappy source after 2 encodes is a great way to ruin it.

Dirty crummy noisy sources should be decoded to lossless AVI and cleaned up before re-encoding.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 13:09.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just to clarify, i didn`t compress any audio or video when i ripped the DVDs. I used MakeMKV for the ripping because i wanted to strip out some foreign audio & subtitles. Right now, each episode is about 1,6GB and preferably i would like to shrink it down to 1GB each but it`s not a must.

So what i`m looking for is a simple way to apply some de-noise/grain filters on my MKVs.

I did have a quick look at avidemux but there were several filters avaliable in the settings and i have no clue which one would work best for my purpose, after some googling i found that "MPlayer denoise3d" seems effective and i will try with this and see what happens.

Any other suggestions are very welcome.
    Quote Quote