VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Avisynth script with NTSC specs out is loaded into VirtualDub, then video is compressed to DV avi by Cedocida, audio , 1536kbps, 48kHZ, 2.0 stereo, 16bit. Video plays fine in all players, but as soon there is an attempt to print it back to tape by Sony Vegas or winDV or Scenalyzer Live, audio is not accepted, there is a silence as a result or simply it tells an error on the audio account..

I tested loading original DVavi to VirtualDub with audio direct stream copy video recompressed by Cedocida and even then print to tape does not work because of audio. I tried to work with interleave settings, did not help. It gets screwed up somewhere along going thru VirtualDub. Mediainfo specs are the same for working and non working audio, no difference

Is there a trick to mux proper DV avi specs for audio out of VirtualDub that could be printed back to tape?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    You may have to convert between DV Type 1 and DV Type 2. See the Camcorders/DV section.

Some situations might even require 32 kHz? Not my experience, though...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post

Some situations might even require 32 kHz? Not my experience, though...
    Agreed. The first the I would check is whether the camera/deck is setup to record the audio format you are using -- 16bit 48khz 2 channel or 12bit 32hkz 4 channel. This would be a particularly big issue if the tape was previously recorded or striped.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Video was printed to tape before on regular basis with those specs, regular NTSC 4:3 video with 48000Hz 16 bit stereo

interestingly I found out that this works:
    Code:
    ffmpeg.exe -i VirtualDub_out_NTSC.avi -target ntsc-dv video.dv
    ffmpeg.exe -i video.dv -vcodec copy -vtag dvsd -acodec copy -aspect 4:3 video.avi
    but I hate to fix that video like that, those videos are treated through command lines just using custom batch script, those two lines add to the time to create this , I'd like Cedocida to do it's job
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Then please compare the FourCCs, maybe you just need to patch it to "dvsd" using a "FourCC Changer" like AviC or DVdate.

I never used Cedocida, but can you possibly set up the DV FourCC it shall use in the AVI header?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Cedocida is a VIDEO codec, and only works on the video portion. The problem that you are having has nothing to do with the video portion, but with the audio, or rather with the muxing.

You see:
    DV streams don't act like standard V+A multimedia streams...

Standards streams look like this:
    [[V] + [A]] (vids stream, auds stream)
    DV Type 1 streams look like this:
    [[V+A]] (ivas stream)
    DV Type 2 streams look like this:
    [[V+A] + [A]] (ivas stream masquerading as vids stream, *copied* auds stream)
    (which is why some apps can work with type 2 and not type 1, because they ignore the [A] in the ivas stream and can see the rest)

Virtualdub is not doing it's job, or rather, it is only doing the job it was ever meant to do, and that was to create STANDARD (vids + auds) AVI files. You are asking it to do something it wasn't mean to.

Hopefully, the Type 2 (standard) to Type 1 (DV) or back to Type 2 (DV) remuxing that you do (either in ffmpeg, or in one of the dedicated converter apps) will correct this satisfactorily.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. It is dvsd, in configure box for Cedocida it is even set that way, I also checked in hex editor, but video seems to not be a problem, it is audio or the way it is muxed together.

Strangely simple remux of that DVavi (encoded with Cedocida) in VD using ffmpeg does not help:
    Code:
    "ffmpeg.exe" -i "VirtualDub_out_NTSC.avi" -vcodec copy -vtag dvsd -acodec pcm_s16le -f avi -aspect 4:3 -y "corrected.avi"
    it has to be encoded to dv by ffmpeg , then remuxed to avi (because to work with that DV is not possible), then it works, like in #4 input where the source is Avisynth script
    Quote Quote  
  8. not even combining of streams work,
    I combine streams , taking Virtual Dub's video and video.dv audio it still does not work
    Code:
    "ffmpeg.exe" -i VirtualDub_out_NTSC.avi  -i video.dv -map 0:0 -map 1:1 -vcodec copy -vtag dvsd  -acodec pcm_s16le -f avi -aspect 4:3 -y   corrected.avi
    if I remux video.dv into corrected.avi it works though ...
    Quote Quote