VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I posted this elsewhere but got one neg response. Everyone here seems quite knowledgeable about lots of things,

I have a Samsung CLP 300 color laser printer several years old.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/printers/CLP-300N/XAA-specs

Last year I 'accidentally' (honest!) used an inkjet photo paper to print an image. Something on the paper melted, or something, because since then anything printed has streaks on it, top to bottom. I think now the black toner has run out, & its like $80 for a new cartridge.

Would it be feasable/practicle to fix (replace heating drum/or whatever the problem is) this printer or just replace it?

I bought it at a 'black friday' sale few years back for $150 after black fri/rebate/etc.

The toner carts are the originals from new, 95+% of printing is b/w text, I can buy a new Samsung sl m2070 b/w only laser printer for around $70, & can live with b/w only, but color is nice on occasion, , , ,

-corne-

(that original set of toner carts that come with new are prolly only 25% full as new, like I said, I dont use it much)

-corne-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  2. First remove the toner cartridge and shake it then replace and try printing. I had streaking once and that fixed my problem. It was a Canon.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried shaking it a few times, uh-uh, no good. They dont sell printers with full cartridges, you have to buy them sooner than later. Even said so with the documentation that came with it. (not full) Pretty sure its out of toner. I think what is bad is the 'imaging unit', from that inkjet foto paper, (above) prolly more than $100 for it.

I went ahead & got the Samsung B&W laser printer, not gonna toss the color one just yet, it was a good printer, still might fix it. As I recall, it was about a $500 printer, from Samsung anyway, , , ,

-c-
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem may also lie with the fuser assembly. When wrong paper types melt, sludge is sometimes left on the rubber roller and/or the teflon tube that houses the heating element. Before the just-printed paper passes between them, the (toner) image lying on top of the paper is at its most vulnerable to smudges from dirt, obstacles in path etc because it hasn't been "ironed" into the paper yet. The rubber roller and tube have to be disassembled and gunk scraped and wiped off.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  5. I designed motor driver IC to drive the drum in Samsung Laser printer.
    I don't think any of them can be replaced. It is the ways the BLDC motor get embedded in th drum.
    Quote Quote  
  6. When you print, does the toner appear on the streaks, and is it easily rubbed off?

No toner at all, likely the drum, toner but it rubs off, fuser assembly. Generally fairly easy to replace fuser, look up procedure. Sometimes a bit pricey. Drums are usually, but not always, replaced as part of the toner cartridge.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The toner has allus been "melted?" into the paper, never any smearing out of machine. I think the black toner ran out in the midst of all this.
    Staples sells the "imaging unit" for this printer. Is that the fuser?? Toner carts plug into the 'imaging unit' A few weeks ago I removed imaging u. & cleaned the large green drum, it had streaks of toner on it, <- toner came back next usage. -> cleaned it again with anhydrous (no water) alcohol, no streaks but I think thats when (I think) it ran out of toner.

I'll keep it around, maybe, eventually, fix it, it was actually a pretty good printer, despite samsung support being practically non-existant.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Drum is photosensitive, keep out of strong light and minimize exposure time. You will need more toner to make sure it still works. Yes, drum is sometimes referred to as imaging unit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I also have a CLP300, which has been a great workhorse for many years. Samsung also supported it for linux, and both their windows & linux driver suites are excellent. When Staples closed them out, they sold quite a few; but today are a bit bulky and powering them up can make the lights dim.
    My only complaint is that the Off switch is on the back, and the little green light is on the front, si I've found it too easy to leave the thing on all night.
    I'd call nearby computer shops & look on ebay too; it is well worth fixing. I like the matte 'layered' effect printing color photos; otheres have commented on it as well.
    Also, there is a relatively simple Raspberry Pi project that will make the CLP300 into a wireless printer.

Before this one, I bought a Samsung 2510 B&W laser for $50 from Staples- it has dual ports -USB 1.0 & parallel... it is still working hard on a daily basis, I donated it to Senior services and it is printing reams of Medicare & SocSec boilerplate for clients.

Oh yeah, at one point I had a book called something like Repairing Laser Printers, you might check if your library can get it for you. Good Luck!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I did about the switch on back was I left the prn switch on & plugged it into (one of those 1 switch powers 5 switches) a power center. Didnt have to go to the prn to turn it on. Problem with the new Sam prn (sl m2070) is the power switch is a 'momentary contact' sw. <-only way to power up the prn. Have to get up & go to the prn to power it up. Other than this, (& no color!), its an ok printer.

-c-

(still lookin' for a cheap re-filled black toner cart)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I got mine 3rd party at Officemax, or mebbe it was Staples? a while ago tho...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I usually do is: remove the cartridges then I remove the printing head and wash it with warm running water until no ink comes out then I shake it flick it well and dry it with tissue. You can put it in the sun for a few minutes to dry before test printing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jollyjohn View Post
    What I usually do is: remove the cartridges then I remove the printing head and wash it with warm running water until no ink comes out then I shake it flick it well and dry it with tissue. You can put it in the sun for a few minutes to dry before test printing.
    I occasionally have to do this with my inkjet printers (Canon Pixma iP3000 series that prints directly on DVDs), but on a laser printer??
    Quote Quote