VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a new monitor or stick with my HD CRT TV.

I'd like to know (sorry if this sounds real nit picky)
    how a PS4 connected to an HD CRT TV via HDMI to DVI cable that has to convert a digital signal to 1080i
    compares to a computer monitor that has 10ms of lag as seen here

I play the ps3 on my CRT(via component cables) with 0 lag and would like to transfer that experience over to the PS4,
    or something as close as possible to it.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. It should be no difference as lag introduced by DVI/HDMI is dominating - CRT is not faster than typical LCD or PDP.
    To be beneficial in terms of response, CRT shall be feed by analog signal directly to CRT - no additional digital processing of the video signal.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Not an issue, at least with our PS4 alternating between an HD CRT and an Asus PB238Q monitor. The CRT has better blacks. The LCD is sharper.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Plus the lcd ways much lighter.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. so without actual testing, you guys are saying it's tied between the 2 ?

the CRT that has to convert the digital signal to analog
    VS
    the LED computer monitor with 10ms of lag connected via HDMI that stays at 1080p
    Last edited by bangbang; 17th Feb 2016 at 14:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bangbang View Post
    the CRT that has to convert the digital signal to analog
    Not the CRT TV; the PS4 only has HDMI out, so you would need some converter (HDFury comes to my mind) to convert HDMI to RGBHV or Component for the TV. Analog-digital-conversion does not add any lag.

A CRT-TV has zero lag if there isn't any elaborate digital signal processing going on inside. If the RGB guns are fed by the signal without any processing beforehand there is indeed no lag. And as always response time is virtually instant with a CRT tube.
    Last edited by Skiller; 17th Feb 2016 at 15:01.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Oh okay, thanks for clearing things up for me.

HD fury looks to be really expensive,
    In my case, a 2 dollar HDMI to DVI converter will do.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I don't want to start another thread, but would like to inquire about my other HD CRT TV,
    it's the Sony KV-30HS420

it has an HDMI input, but if you click on the link, it may have some video processing. I'm not sure as i'm not very well versed in tv specifications.

if i connect a ps4 to this tv, and have it output at 1080i, is there anything else happening to cause any sort of lag ? or am i home free ?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just try it out with your ps4,best way to see if there is any lag by playing a game,i would doubt that there cause in all the tv's i had for that last 30 years i never had any lag playing any games from the nes up to the ps3 and 20 inch crts up to 46" lcd tvs.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by bangbang View Post
    Oh okay, thanks for clearing things up for me.

HD fury looks to be really expensive,
    In my case, a 2 dollar HDMI to DVI converter will do.

2$ converter is meaningless as HDMI is backward compatible with DVI at protocol level and it may be transported with DVI cable as HDMI natively or in DVI mode (you loosing only such things like CEC not used to frequently AFAIK).
    HD fury is something else - this is HDMI/DVI to component analog video converter - it may be substituted with significantly cheaper widely available HDMI(DVI) do VGA analog converters (some of them support even HDCP).

Never measure lag introduced in such converter but it may be substantial (depends on internal architecture and video processing capabilities - it may have 1 line buffer or 1 field buffer or 1 frame buffer or more).

Observing people on PS3 i would say that TV/Display lag is insignificant when compared to LAN introduced lag (most of people use WiFi and this introduce IMHO more significant lag than modern displays) - and too good latency (too low) may be not the best - have fibre glass connection and less than few ms latency to ISP router - frequently suffer from other players lag (some of them use increased lag as bonus).
    Quote Quote