VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a "new" vcr to start converting videos myself, and I can't get it to power on. It's a JVC HR-S7600u.

I first plugged it in and put in a video tape to test it - the video played for maybe 1-2minutes, and then I decided to check on how it adjusted tracking later in the video tape. I FF to about 15 minutes into the tape and then hit play. It played for a short time, and I started playing with the "date" "channel" buttons and "stop/start" buttons on the remote because the channel button is how to adjust tracking, but then the tracking wasn't changing, so I tried the other buttons.

VERY soon after that the vcr powered down - there was still a display, "AUTO" was blinking, but the vcr wouldn't power on long enough to play the tape. It wouldn't even turn on long enough to eject the tape. I tried pushing just about every button after that, and when I hit the timer button the tape ejected (since the tab was popped to protect the tape - it's not a tape that's able to record and when in Timer mode it ejects).

Since then I've looked up the manual and I thought perhaps the Plug & Play was the issue - they said that I had to have the cable hooked up to it so the device could scan and find the local PBS station that would send the time signal. I hooked up the cable - unplugged the vcr for more than a half an hour - plugged it back in so it could find the cable and get set up. I left for work, came back, and the time still hasn't set, the power still won't come on.

Is there something I'm missing or is it just broken?

Thanks!

Susen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a faulty VCR.

The time issue doesn't affect the basic function of the player (at least not that I recall as I had this deck years ago). The unit should always power on and function. The "AUTO" will continue to flash until the unit pulls the time info (which I don't know is still relevant).

From another forum:

Take your factory remote & hold the power button down on it for 6 to 10 seconds (aim it at the VCR), it should then power up and work properly.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    You can also try leaving the VCR unplugged from AC for several minutes to see if that resets the microprocessor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had a similar if not exact JVC unit. The power supply would go out yet the light(s) would come on. I replaced the PS 3 times before it went out again. I remember throwing it away. I'd had enuf.
    Quote Quote