VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi
    why can't i choose hardware acceleration for hevc at the installation?
    thank
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	540
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	37022  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should be able to with LAV Video directly in MPC-HC
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Uninstall k-lite crap and just install LAV Video and mpc-hc as suggested by KarMa.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Uninstall k-lite crap
    If it's so "crap" (your words), why do you offer a direct link to "crap" on videohelp servers?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with K-lite and some similar codec packs are that they can install a whole lot of codecs. Some few you might use and quite a few more you don't need.
    Some can damage or destroy working codecs you already have. Sometimes they help with codec problems, sometimes they cause codec problems.

Most members don't use them. Some do and requested they be on our server.
    K-lite and similar codec packs come with this warning on our site. 'NOTE! If you install all the included codecs/decoders you might get problem with other video software on your computer.'

Safer is ffdshow as it's not a codec pack and is unlikely to cause those sort of damages.
    Or use LAV Video.

Or try a player like VLC Media Player that has it's own internal codecs.
    Last edited by redwudz; 16th May 2016 at 01:33.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Uninstall k-lite crap
    If it's so "crap" (your words), why do you offer a direct link to "crap" on videohelp servers?
    Sounds like you don't know much about websites that use links that connect to what you type so you don't need to type in an address.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Sounds like you don't know much about websites that use links that connect to what you type so you don't need to type in an address.
    I'm not sure that answered what I asked.

It seems strange that VideoHelp hosts the K-Lite 25.96MB "crap", that you recommend be un-installed, directly, when a link to CodecGuide (https://www.videohelp.com/software/K-Lite-Codec-Pack) is provided if people wish to download. VideoHelps K-Lite page already warns of adware during installing. Maybe the details on that page need updating recommending not to even install it due to it being "crap"...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even more reasons:

These 'packs' as per a later warning on the same download page come bundled with ad-ware etc. which can cause all sorts of disruption to your system since many users simply 'click' without reading as they install. These same people will be the first to complain later.

Another reason to avoid codec-packs is that having installed one some users thinking that others are better will go ahead and install another without un-installing the earlier one and cause even more potential damage to the system.

Also not all people who install these do so from this site - there are many sources of these packs and not all will give out these warnings.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The reason why HEVC is greyed out is because your GPU does not support full acceleration for HEVC video. Only a few GPUs that are currently on the market are capable of that, like the GTX 960. Some older GPUs have hybrid acceleration, but with crappy performance.
    You can always manually enable it in the settings of LAV Video Decoder if you think the detection is wrong. The options in the K-Lite installer are there purely for convenience.

It is funny how people here say the it is bad and then start recommending exactly those components that the pack contains. If you look at the contents of the Standard version of K-Lite then you will see that it is basically just MPC-HC + LAV Filters + madVR + Icaros (for thumbs).

K-Lite is also much much smarter than you think it is. It can detect and help remove over 100 (!) different codec related package to keep your system clean and healthy. It detects and cleans leftovers from improperly installed codecs. It detects and offers to disable many codecs that are considered obsolete or are known causes of system instability.

Bundled offers are pretty clean compared to most other software. They can be skipped very easily. They are skipped automatically on updates or silent installs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So guess that klcp stands for K-Lite blah blah blah.

Nice commercial then.
    Quote Quote