VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    needing to replace my internal 5inch drive bay sata LG dvd/CD reader writer that I use for DVD_RAM video file transfer to PC.
    TV recording gets copied to DVD_RAM disc on my panasonic recorder HDD unit, then DVD_RAM used to copy that to PC.

new breed of opticals that include DVD-RAM read write have gone slower, mine was spec 5x, 12x PCAV and Blu-Ray drives now have 2x 3x 5x CLV for DVD-RAM so I fear a tremendous drop in transfer speed if mine is running at 12x and I end up with 5x.

I see a Pioneer which is 6x DVD_RAM read so either twice as slow or a bit faster.

I need to establish what 'x' speed I am running at.

One video file/folder DVD_RTAV of 55mins duration took 10 mins 41 secs to copy onto PC, size 3.67Gb so was that using 5x or 12x ?

specs with an 'x' are meaningless except for between drives specs comparison, wish they had so many MB/sec instead of just x.

If that speed was 5x then a 6x would be beneficial. So what 'x' was it using ?

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes my maths sucks so I'll prepare myself for the laughter.

According to the wiki article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

5x would approx. to 6.95mb/s whereas 12x is 16.62mb/s

You have transferred 3.67 gb or 3758mb. Thus 5x would be 540 secs whereas 12x would be 226 secs. So it appears that avg transfer rate is 4-5x.

Tin Hat now on.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks,
    someone else in a dealership also meanwhile came up with approx 5x, so going for a Pioneer BDR-209Bk at DVD-RAM 5x should see no loss of performance.

DBenz
    Quote Quote