VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My desktop computer sits on a shelf under a desk, making the internal CD/DVD drive difficult to access. I've gone through three USB external DVD drives, none of them worked as well as the computer's internal one. Amazon and eBay list drives from about $12 up, but nearly all of them look like the cheapie ones I've already tried. Can someone recommend a decent external drive suitable for ripping and burning DVDs? Although blank media is inexpensive, the time to do a burn over and over, and the stack of losers, is disheartening. I don't mind spending $30 to $50 for something that's good. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What level of USB? 1,2 or 3? USB3.x versions are fairly fast. Or eSATA, Either connection would depend on your PC specs.
    Both USB 3.x or eSATA seem to run at internal drive speeds. If your PC is older, maybe add a PCI card for either connection.

And I would just get an quality empty external case and PS and put in a dependable drive. I use mostly Pioneer BD drives now.
    I'll let other members suggest a dependable DVD drive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, redwudz. I have both USB2 and USB3 ports available. I like your idea for rolling my own 'dependable' drive, but still seek recommendations for a solid and reliable one. I can't believe that all DVD drives are as pitifully built as the ones I've tried. Someone must make a drive that's at least as rugged as the sliding-tray type used in standalone DVD players. It seems the common cheap drives are meant for vertical mounting in a computer case, thus requiring that snap-in center post, rather than simply laying the disc in a tray.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Electrojim View Post
    Thanks, redwudz. I have both USB2 and USB3 ports available. I like your idea for rolling my own 'dependable' drive, but still seek recommendations for a solid and reliable one. I can't believe that all DVD drives are as pitifully built as the ones I've tried. Someone must make a drive that's at least as rugged as the sliding-tray type used in standalone DVD players. It seems the common cheap drives are meant for vertical mounting in a computer case, thus requiring that snap-in center post, rather than simply laying the disc in a tray.
    did you look at the ones listed here ?? - https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Desc...=-1&isNodeId=1
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get a SATA to USB connector like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZWVGK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and you can use an internal drive on your desk.

Also, regarding coasters, if you're using anything other than Verbatim AZO or Taiyo Yuden discs, this may be the cause of your bad burns.

Edit: As for recommended drives, the Lite-On full size internals have a good reputation, plus they're cheap enough to keep a spare or two. If the drive starts giving bad burns, put it aside for ripping, since the read function of the drive will likely still be good.
    Last edited by lingyi; 19th Apr 2019 at 12:53.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks to all. lingyi, I may go with your recommendation in the long run, but for now have opted for a Toshiba USB-connected unit, mainly because a couple of reviews mentioned that it was heavier and a bit fatter than the usual flimsy, "slim" drives. We'll see how it works.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Get a full size vantec enclosure and a good drive. I'm a sucker for the pioneer line but I'm sure others have their favorites too. If your doing just DVD the liteon ihas-324 is a solid and cheap drive to put in the enclosure
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote