VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After updating some 'very old' drivers on my Windows 10 2-in-1 Quantum View tablet I first of all had both of the webcams (front and rear) fail. After rolling back I now have one of the cameras working and one not, as it is just producing a blank back screen.

It is difficult for me to check this out because, apart from my lack of knowledge, the Microsoft Camera app has failed, and my other Store apps which I use with the cameras are not functioning either apart from one, VideoCam Buffer ---- I am one of the users who have major problems with the Windows Store and apps since the November update.

The hardware is: Intel(R) AVStream Camera, Sensor OV2722 (X2). In Device Manager I get reports "Device not Migrated" and "Device DISPLAY\INT0F38\4&35aa7537&0&UID134968 requires further installation." If it is relevant, what is this 'further installation'?

Apart from help with this (which is beyond my level of expertise) I would welcome suggestions for a simple free webcam utility (not a Store app) to turn the cam(s) on and off so I can check if they it is working --- something like the neat WebCam On-Off which has not worked for me, which the Developer is looking into for me.
    clayto
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried uninstalling the camera driver and rebooting? That sometimes works.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The further installation is something you need and don't have. It may, or may not, exist. Delete ALL drivers and software for cams, reboot, update Win 10 again just for more fun, reboot again, if that don't work then go on a driver hunt. Get several versions, keep track carefully. Delete ALL, reboot, clean registry (CCleaner), reboot, install one, reboot, test, wash, rinse, repeat.

You may need to delete the actual hardware listing, in addition, as a first step or included in all driver attempts. Nothing worse than partially installed, incorrect drivers, their temp files, and registry settings.

Do some extra checking on how to remove all traces of previous drivers and software. This is often the key to getting such things working. THOROUGH removal.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks -------- I think!

A couple of further points, both front and rear cameras were working OK before I tried the driver update (so I should have left it alone of course). Hence I expected rolling back to return both cameras to the status quo. Also, are there in fact two cameras, requiring different drivers? They have different displays (this is common I think) Or is there just one camera, serving front and back differently? Only one sensor is listed, twice: OV2722.
    clayto
    Quote Quote  
  5. Imagine the driver install process as a multi-step procedure. Often, the replacement installation will detect one of the previous steps already in-place, and abort. So you get parts of one, and parts of the other. Sometimes this will work. Often, especially with new OS versions, it does not. So you have to go a few extra steps to make sure ALL of driver #1 is removed before attempting to install Driver #2. This can get complex and time-consuming.

Best option at this point would be to back up all data, and do a complete wipe and restore of the hard drive to an earlier condition, or to the factory setup. If this involves too much loss, then use this experience to learn to backup both important files and the system state.

CCleaner is from Piriform.com, it may help and will do no harm. Run both the broom and the blocks, Analyze and clean. Frequently.

Find the names of the software and drivers you have now. Uninstall all. Reboot, run the cleaner, reboot AGAIN and clean AGAIN.

Find the names of the software and drivers you used to have. MAKE SURE THEY ARE CORRECT. Drivers, then software. Reboot, test. If you can't find this info, then get the ones that are older than the ones you have now.

If you are reasonably careful, take your time, it won't get any worse and should get better. You may need professional help on-site but make an effort, and report back with specific questions.

You have two separate cameras with one TYPE of sensor.
    Quote Quote