VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there a way to modify computer to allow browse android device in Open window? I can transfer files from computer to android device by clicking on
    LGE Android Phone (see screenshot) but for some reason the android device doesn't appear in Open window when browsing for a file. Here I am using Subtitle Workshop to browse for a file on the android device, but the android device doesn't appear in the Open window.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	34837  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The "reason" is that your android phone isn't SHARING its files over a network, nor letting the PC be mounting the raw filesystem of the storage areas of the phone, it is using USB protocols & drivers to tell the PC how it will interact.

And how it will interact is as "Audio Devices" (as seen in the picture behind the picture). It isn't visible in the dialog box picture because, as an Audio Device, that is not where you would see those volumes (IOW, not in that context). You MIGHT see it if you were using an audio app (as it would tell your PC that you were wanting to deal with an audio device, and so the PC's OS would talk to the driver which exposes those "devices").

There may be a way to get around this: sometimes you are given an option on HOW you want your phone to connect/interact to your PC (mine gives me a "charging only" and a "file system/remote storage/upload-download" option, but NOT an "audio device" option), which you could change to a more appropriate scenario.

Otherwise, the much faster & more prudent thing to do is just take your SD card out of your phone and put it in a SD card reader to be mounted on the PC as a removable drive. I do this all the time (though I always turn my phone off first so there aren't any missing filesystem "expectations" on the part of the phone's OS).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    maybe your windows is too old? probably im wrong but.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i've been using android since the very first Motorola Droid
    i have never needed or wanted to access the phone using third party video software
    android SDK and all sorts of hacks and tweaks ..YES, BUT NOT with video software
    why do you want to access the phone with a subtitle editor
    do your file editing .. On your PC then copy the file back to the phone,
    the results will be faster and easier
    the android system is NOT designed to be a windows ubset:
    file transfer yes,,, editing in place video files no
    Quote Quote  
  5. Like this? Drive MOT (J) is my Motorola Razr's internal storage and Removable Disk (K) is it's SD card.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mot1.gif
Views:	227
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	34842

Name:	mot2.gif
Views:	193
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	34843

To not really answer your question......
    There's a list of the ways Android devices can connect here:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/192732/android-usb-connections-explained-mtp-ptp-and-usb-mass-storage/
    USB mass storage isn't supported for newer devices (which is how mine was connected above) but you should still be able to access it in PTP or MTP mode. What you can access may be up to the device. In my case Camera (PTP) mode has it show up under Cameras and Scanners and I can still access it's internal storage, but it's more restricted and I can't access the SD card.

Name:	mot3.gif
Views:	310
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	34844

MTP mode is similar to PTP mode, but I can't test it. When I switch to MTP mode the phone shows up as a CD ROM drive containing Motorola software I've never installed, although MTP mode might work properly if I had WMP 11 installed, as I think it's required for MTP to work with XP, but I don't.

Andriod connecting as an audio device is a new one for me. What happens if you double click on LGE Phone in My Computer? It might relate to this:
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Android-5.0-Lollipop-supports-USB-DAC-audio-devices-we-...ars-on_id66399

If you can switch to MTP mode, try that, although I'm fairly certain WMP 11 is required. The top notification thingy should tell you how you're connected when you pull it down and clicking on it should let you change modes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. That about explains it. No big deal because I can transfer files between the computer and the android device just by clicking "LGE Android Phone Internal/Sd". One other minor problem is that no files except mp3, jpg and a few other files can be transferred from computer to android device. The way around this is to first rename files to mp3 that you want to transfer. After transferring the files to the android device, they can be renamed using the android device. See screenshot.This quirk is because I have Windows Media Player 10 on my computer. If I upgrade to Windows Media Player 11, this transfer problem would be solved. I'd rather find a way to modify the computer registry (if somebody can tell me how) to solve this problem. This Android device is a good Walmart deal for $10. Just the included 4GB micro SD card and the weekly McDonald's coupons are worth $10.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	34853  

Name:	Clipboard03.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	34854  

Last edited by jimdagys; 15th Dec 2015 at 06:41.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    do it over wifi. any shared folders on the pc even if the pc has a wired connection will be accessible to the phone using a file browser like es file explorer. i've never had any problem transferring files of any type from pc, laptop, or networked file server.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have never had much problem transferring any type of files,
    I have downloaded many epub , doc, and html files from pc to phone or tablet for eReading
    Have transferred countless mp3, avi, mp4, ogg, and other formats, icons, apk files etc..
    All using either native Windows explorer, or Android software, never tried using wmp or video titling or editing software.
    There is something wrong on your end
    Either with the phone or the pc or the idea of using third party video programs
    Last edited by theewizard; 15th Dec 2015 at 20:58.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I connected a 3yr old verizon HTC android phone to my windows 8.1 laptop
    this phone has never before been connected to this new PC

everthing showed up natively in windows explorer AS EXPECTED

then i tried some video programs
    MPC-HT, avs2dvd, and aviDemux.. all were able to access the same directories and load 3gp video files of my dogs
    VLC would NOT access the phone
    the phone showed up as removable H and removable I in windows and in the working programs
    i do not have sub-title editor and really have NO interest in editing video in the phone folders
    but you can try those programs for testing, and decide whether its the editor OR the phone system
    since you can see them in windows, i would leave it be, editing the registry of the program involved, is not the best way to do things
    Quote Quote