VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can encode several videos using the same encode settings then join them together into one video?

I would have prefered to use mkvmerge to do the joining, but I've run into a problem with these videos. For some reason, the joined videos have a "Frame rate : 23.976 (23976/1000) FPS " and an "Original frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS" entry on their information. The timestamp on the frame where the second video joins the first can be off by one whole frame. I see this problem occuring when I split some videos using mkvmerge as a test too.

The problem is rather inconsistent and difficult to deal with, so I would like to bypass it by having Hybrid join the videos after making them.

Is Hybrid capable of joining videos on its own?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is Hybrid capable of joining videos on its own?
    No. Not planned. Will not come. Too much trouble to support that.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. That's that, then.

Perhaps something else might help. Does Hybrid have any "keep original frame rate" option? I saw that one in Xmedia Recode, I think. If Hybrid has an equivalent option, it might do something to this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    you can change fps in mkvtoolnix. Just choose videotrack and search on default tab. It is under timecodes and default duration (roughly transcripted i have it in my native language) So you got MKV files with fps you wish. But not sure how this video works in different programs. Actually i think 23976/1000 is equal to 24000/1001 just some programs do it this from my point of view wrong way.
    Then you can try append these files in Avidemux video in copy mode audio in copy mode and output format in what you want. MKV MP4 or whatever.
    But never needed this, pal area here. So only can wish you luck. Not too much time to spend with trying this at least.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  5. No clue what Xmedia Recodes option does. (Never used it, don't plan to use it)
    Hybrid by default uses the frame rate specified by the container if you want it to use the frame rate specified by the stream (this is what MediaInfo, reports as 'Original frame rate') you can tell this to Hybrid by enabling: 'Config->Internals->Prefer Original->Frame rate' (this needs to be enabled before loading the source).
    At least current versions of Hybrid should normally use 24000/1001 for 23.976 fps input, in case it doesn't that's a bug for which I need a sample of the source to reproduce the issue.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  6. My experience with Recode was that it was slow and didn't apply encode settings properly, so I switched to using Hybrid instead.

I'll do testing with Prefer Original Frame Rate option in Hybrid later.

This is probably an issue with mkvtoolnix. It's not a problem for Hybrid if I can't bypass it using Hybrid. I'll file a report with mkvtoolnix instead.

Edit: I just tried setting the frame rate in mkvtoolnix. On one hand, the timecodes looked proper at the join point, but the subs of the next segment ended up off. Instead, the video with the "discrepant" timecode at the join point was perfectly aligned for both audio and subs to the video. Still have to comb every line to make sure.

If this works out. I just wasted my time and mkvtoolnix took care of a problem for me!
    Last edited by Compositor; 1st Sep 2018 at 12:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't understand you. If you have fps that are described differently, so not blame Mkvtoolnix for this. You can correct all your videos in this software to 24000/1001. It is more problem of different program that you used. Don't believe Mkvtoolnix represent 23,976 by two fractions. It is done by program you captured video or recompress video.
    Most probably the video is claimed as 23976/1000 is because the first segment of merged videos has this fps. Try find out from where or from what software you get this segment. As I wrote earlier, you can easily change it.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  8. What I meant was, what I thought was a problem may in fact be mkvtoolnix solving another problem. I still have to take a more detailed look later, but I think the timecode shifting on the join point may fix an audio alignment issue in joined videos in some programs like Aegisub.

If I had simply loaded the subs after inspecting the join point in Aegisub, I might not have posted here and gone on to finishing my project already.
    Quote Quote