VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the opportunity to purchase a Hauppauge HD PVR with a model No 49001PF. I am not aware of its age. Is this suitable for me to use to convert my (PAL).8mm/Hi8 camcoder tapes using my sony Digital8 camcorder. I have a firewire card installed on pc.
    Advice would be appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by todsweeney View Post
    I have the opportunity to purchase a Hauppauge HD PVR with a model No 49001PF. I am not aware of its age. Is this suitable for me to use to convert my (PAL).8mm/Hi8 camcoder tapes using my sony Digital8 camcorder. I have a firewire card installed on pc.
    Advice would be appreciated
    A capture device is needed if the camera can't output DV when playing Hi8 tapes.

If the Digital8 camcorder can output a DV signal when playing Hi8 tapes then a firewire card will be enough.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on the tape quality.
    - If it needs restoration, not greatest quality, go lossless with capture card.
    - If quality, then good Digital8 for Hi8/Video is passable.

Note that this advice is PAL only. The NTSC 4:1:1 is brutal, loses 50%+ color quality on the transfer.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Note that the Hauppague HD-PVR is incapable of lossless capture. It has a built-in encoder chip and sends H.264 video and AC3 audio to a PC via its USB 2.0 connection. Lossless capture requires a device which outputs uncompressed digital video and audio and uses software running on a PC to encode the video and audio.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Also, the Hauppauge HD-PVR series is prone to locking up (requiring a power cycle of the HD-PVR) with bad time base -- especially when fast forwarding or rewinding.

If you have other uses for it (HD capture) it's ok. But for VHS/V8/Hi8 it's a waste of money. Your PAL DV camcorder with it's built in TBC will give you much better results than the HD-PVR.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your responses. From your comments, I've decided against the Hauppauge.
    Some years back, I purchased the Sony DCR-480E camcorder mainly to use as passthrough for my 30 or so 8mm analogue tapes, from my Yachica(Kyocera)8 camcoder. While the video captured is acceptable, unfortunately, the audio has interference, is distorted and unusable. However, capturing direct from the Sony Digital8, both video and audio are acceptable, considering the content was recorded on 8mm tape. In the Sony Handbook, the method for capturing from external VCR devices for digital conversion, is via firewire to the capture software. I don't know if by capturing the 8mm analogue tapes directly from the Sony, converts to digital. I am going to experiment by capturing from the Sony also from the Yashica(vision only) to compare. It is from the feedback you have provided that has prompted me to try this (should have thought of it myself).
    Any thoughts or further advice would be welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by todsweeney View Post
    I don't know if by capturing the 8mm analogue tapes directly from the Sony, converts to digital.
    If you're capturing via firewire it's digital.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Much relieved to read your very welcome quick response 'jagabo' as I've just b------d my Yashica.
    I've been wrestling with the issue of conversion for some while now searching for answers obviously didn't find the right one, until now.
    Thanks aslo to 'usually_quiet' for the same answer, which I missed.
    Quote Quote