VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hey,
    I have a Sony CCD-TRV23E with a lot of old footage I'm trying to digitize.
    My friend gave me a (probably crappy) EZcap 180 capture card in order to capture the video.
    I connect the camcorder to the EZcap through a RCA to 3.5mm and record it on a flash drive.
    As you probably have guessed, the captured video quality is really bad and much worse than the original footage.
    What can i do with my current setup to improve the capture quality? Obviously i can't get a new camcorder, but i can purchase a different capture card.
    My camcorder doesn't have a firewire port so i guess getting a different capture card is my only choice(?)
    Will using the Elgato or Dazzle cards produce significantly better results? Any different suggestions?
    Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Best capture cards are internal PCI Express. Do you have a free slot in your computer?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Best capture cards are internal PCI Express. Do you have a free slot in your computer?
    Yes.
    Any recommendations? and would it make a big difference from what i have?
    Also i should have mentioned that i'm not looking for something too expensive, my budget is around 100$ max.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well another member here had capturing problems even with a very good capture card, and in the end he bought AverMedia Live Gamer GC573 and it solved his problems. It is over your budget so perhaps the lower price one Avermedia Live Gamer, Blue GC570 (1080p) might be good. With a little effort perhaps you can afford it. If not, take a look at AverMedia products
    https://www.avermedia.com/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You will need HDMI to RCA adapter, if you haven't got it already
    Quote Quote  
  6. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Capture analog video with a RCA to HDMI adapter and then a HDMI card.

Am I am missing something or is the approach from our old friend Technology Connections https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC5Zr3NC2PY&t=669s back in action?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Subtitles
    You will need HDMI to RCA adapter,
    Wrong way. Look at his camcorder. It's RCA OUT. Not that I am supporting that method.

I am surprised that Ezcap gadget doesn't produce better video. It's a pretty flash unit that is obviously not easycrap. That needs more investigation.

Subtitles, you say:
    Best capture cards are internal PCI Express.
    and then
    Well another member here had capturing problems even with a very good capture card, and in the end he bought AverMedia Live Gamer GC573 and it solved his problems.
    Are you speaking from experience? If it's the one I think it is, we never saw any of their captures and so I wouldn't be recommending their gear/workflow, especially if they were using a cheap RCA>HDMI converter. Those things ARE junk; I have one.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Alwin, the card Subtitle proposes accepts only HDMI input. A digitizer is then needed.

Are you speaking from experience?
    I suspect he has none, just providing generic comments
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Wrong way. Look at his camcorder. It's RCA OUT. Not that I am supporting that method.
    What is the best method i should use then? which also won't break my bank account 😅
    Is it what lollo suggested?
    I would also appreciate if you guys could suggest me some model names(including the adapter), i can look in amazon but i'll probably end up getting a crappy one since i'm not as knowledgeable as you
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alwyn I appreciate the correction.
    Do you have any recommendation to the OP?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That links shows one the worst method!

Search the forum for a recommended worflow; essentially good player with lineTBC correction and Y/C output, a Hauppauge USB-Live 2, or IOData GV-USB2 or similar; a specific dvd-r recorder in pass-through mode if player not as before specified
    Quote Quote  
  12. hey i have a TRV23E as well we were just talking how this camera is 27 years old now and it still freaking works

I just got done capturing footage from 96-97 era and there was alot of interlacing and stuff but once you process through virtualDUB the footage came out great. I am using Dazzle capture which is not the best solution out there but SD video is not very high resolution to begin with.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With a different card than a Dazzle and a different workflow than VirtualDub (AviSynth/VapourSynth) you could achieve even better results. But if you are satisfied is all that matters.

Not very high resolution for VHS is not an excuse to do not get the best from it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    That links shows one the worst method!

Search the forum for a recommended worflow; essentially good player with lineTBC correction and Y/C output, a Hauppauge USB-Live 2, or IOData GV-USB2 or similar; a specific dvd-r recorder in pass-through mode if player not as before specified
    Thanks for all the help, i will look it up.

Originally Posted by MrKool View Post
    hey i have a TRV23E as well we were just talking how this camera is 27 years old now and it still freaking works

I just got done capturing footage from 96-97 era and there was alot of interlacing and stuff but once you process through virtualDUB the footage came out great. I am using Dazzle capture which is not the best solution out there but SD video is not very high resolution to begin with.
    Wow that's actually super helpful that you have the same camera! Thanks for that reply!
    So you're saying most of the quality control is done with virtualDUB and less with the hardware itself?
    And yeah i get what you're saying about the quality, the thing is - the quality played directly from my camera actually looks alright, only when i record it with the EZcap it gets super pixelated and the FPS drops by like 40%. Do you not get that severe degradation with the Dazzle?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The capture software (VirtualDub/AmarecTV) has nothing to do with the “intrinsic” quality of the capture.

On the other hand, a bad capture software can do damages like bad deinterlacing, bad resolutions, resize, etc

A postprocessing after capture may improve the quality of the video
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    The capture software (VirtualDub/AmarecTV) has nothing to do with the “intrinsic” quality of the capture.

On the other hand, a bad capture software can do damages like bad deinterlacing, bad resolutions, resize, etc

A postprocessing after capture may improve the quality of the video
    When i captured the video with the EZcap, i just used the internal recording function and it recorded it directly to flash drive. There was no 3rd party software involved(it wasn't even connected to my PC). Could this also contribute to the low quality?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Recording to a flash drive? Then is not the classic EasyCap that we don’t love, but some hybrid with a sort of ClearClick device, that we do not love as well. Potenzial on the fly destruptive video manipulation, yes
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Recording to a flash drive? Then is not the classic EasyCap that we don’t love, but some hybrid with a sort of ClearClick device, that we do not love as well. Potenzial on the fly destruptive video manipulation, yes
    Alright you have convinced me to prioritize a cam with TBC over a capture card. Any model recommendations to look for on eBay?🙏
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    You don't want to go this way...
    I tried it very early on my family vhs capturing project and results were disgusting.

I still have some samples to show what i mean. With first capture i used Samsung DVD-V6500 combo from 2005 (horrible) and the devices you linked on amazon. Second capture is made with that trashy vcr as well but with a PCI Conexant CX23881-19 capture card (PixelView Play Ultra under Win XP) and Panasonic DMR-ES10. Third is the capture i settled with for now with differenct vcr- JVC HR-J668 + Panasonic DMR-ES10 + Hauppauge Live 2 USB + AmarecTV with HuffYUV compression. Differences are unimaginable to me personally.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  20. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GrassyGlide View Post
    Alright you have convinced me to prioritize a cam with TBC over a capture card. Any model recommendations to look for on eBay?🙏
    Search here and on digitalfaq https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/10257-video8-hi8-digital8.html for suggestions. Ebay may be a gamble.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Differences are unimaginable to me personally.
    Yes, the workflow makes the difference.

I'm still surprized that the improvements using to HR-S7500 are marginal compared to JVC HR-J668. Probably the Live-2 good digitizing work is hiding a little bit the potential differences. Just speculating...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Grassyglide
    Alright you have convinced me to prioritize a cam with TBC over a capture card. Any model recommendations to look for on eBay?
    Hold it, your problem is with the digitiser, not the camcorder.

You did say:
    i get what you're saying about the quality, the thing is - the quality played directly from my camera actually looks alright, only when i record it with the EZcap it gets super pixelated and the FPS drops by like 40%.
    That camcorder is a higher-end machine as it looks like it's got a TBC and DNR. Unless the heads are dirty, I don't think that is your problem.

I also don't think that that Ezcap is necessarily your problem either. It's a higher-end gadget, not a cheap knock-off, and should perform OK. I suggest you get into the settings and look for a better capture quality setting.

Originally Posted by Lollo
    I'm still surprized that the improvements using to HR-S7500 are marginal compared to JVC HR-J668.
    My SVHS 5800 is no better than my normal VCRs. At this late stage of their lives, anything is possible with VCR quality.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 26th Jul 2023 at 03:08.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    That camcorder is a higher-end machine as looks like it's got a TBC and DNR. Unless the heads are dirty, I don't think that is your problem.
    Are you sure it has TBC? i can't find it in the specifications(the manual in their website is all i have), maybe i don't know where to look.

Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I also don't think that that Ezcap is necessarily your problem either. It's a higher-end gadget, not a cheap knock-off, and should perform OK. I suggest you get into the settings and look for a better capture quality setting.
    Isn't the EZcap considered garbage here? to me at least it feels really bad quality. I also think i maxed out all the settings, and i don't see any quality control settings. Here are some screenshots:
    https://i.ibb.co/t27hgHN/IMG-1756.jpg
    https://i.ibb.co/7YzBnG2/IMG-1758.jpg
    https://i.ibb.co/xL7PNmr/IMG-1757.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had a read of the Ezcap 180 manual and the specs say it records MP4 at 250MB/hr, which is way too low for a decent capture. So, by the sounds of it, it is doing what it is supposed to do. Unfortunately, the bitrate's too low for good quality.

Which brings me back to my point: you're after a different digitiser, not a different camcorder (at this point, anyway).
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thanks, that's good to know! Sorry for the newbie question, but in order for the TBC to work while capturing, do i need to adjust something in the camcorder or does it work automatically?

Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I've had a read of the Ezcap 180 manual and the specs say it records MP4 at 250MB/hr, which is way too low for a decent capture. So, by the sounds of it, it is doing what it is supposed to do. Unfortunately, the bitrate's too low for good quality.

Which brings me back to my point: you're after a different digitiser, not a different camcorder (at this point, anyway).
    I see, so this digitizer is indeed bad, right?
    Will the Hauppauge USB-Live 2 which was recommended here do the trick, in your opinion?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with Alwin, replacing the capture device is the priority. The rest, eventually, later
    Quote Quote  
  27. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Will the Hauppauge USB-Live 2 which was recommended here do the trick, in your opinion?
    If your Camera has not S-Video output, give to a IOData GV-USB2 a try
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Grassyslide
    but in order for the TBC to work while capturing, do i need to adjust something in the camcorder or does it work automatically?
    I'm pretty sure the TBC only works during playback but I stand to be corrected. Hop into the settings to make sure it is on.

I'm not sure about the DNR; try playing a tape with it Off, then On, see if there's any improvement.

Originally Posted by Grassy
    Yes, or my favourite, the IOData GV-USB2.

Depending on the stability of your signal, you may need an external stabiliser such as a [cheap] Panasonic ES-10 or ES-15, but the TBC in your camera should put out a nice stable picture so hopefully, all you'll need is a new digitiser.
    Quote Quote