VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If ever there was a newbie, I'm it. I never could grasp all the details and complexities of editing video so TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works turned out to be simple enough and intuitive enough that I'd been able to use it. The problem I'm having is that suddenly none of my hundreds of project files will open. I get an error message that says, "This file is not a project generated by TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5". I've tried deleting and reinstalling the program. I even deleted everything I could find associated with the program from the registry and reinstalling and still can't open the files. I'll go the System Restore route if I need to, but I'd really rather not have to reinstall all the other programs that it would remove. Pegasys has stopped support for version 5 so I'm hoping someone here has run into this problem and come up with a solution. I would upgrade to the newest version but I'm stuck with Windows 7 for other programs that won't run on 10.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you use the program to create a new project file, does that open properly ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. I just did two small edits, saved as projects and they do open.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then the old project files may be corrupted or similar. Have you tried running an error check on the HDD ?
    You could upload one of the project files here and I'll take a look at it
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ran a chkdsk /f /r on the drive and nothing came up bad. I tried a couple of project files from another drive and they didn't work either. Frustrating.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure that the version of the program that created the unreadable project files was not newer than version you have
    installed now?
    There is some verbiage here https://www.videohelp.com/software/TMPGEnc-Video-Mastering-Works/reviews
    that says this:
    "Changed the compatibility of the project file. Along with this correction, older versions cannot load the project files saved with this version or later. (This version can load the project files saved on previous versions without any problems.)"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found out about incompatibility when I went from 4 to 5. I would understand an older program not being able to open a file created with a newer version, but 5 won't open files made with 4. But that can't be the issue here. I was using the program one day, shut down for the night and the next day I couldn't open any project files. Any re-installs I've done over the years have been done with the same last version of TVMW5 Pegasys put out.

I'm starting to wonder if Pegasys hasn't somehow disabled something in the program when it accesses the Internet to renew the license every time it starts. Cripple the program so I'll upgrade maybe? Until this problem came along, that was the only thing I didn't like about it - needing Internet to "get permission" to edit video with a program I paid for.
    Last edited by MacGyver59; 30th Mar 2021 at 22:17.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    davexnet - I will thank you for your time and attempts to help me here. I couldn't go too long without the program because some of the work I do helps puts a couple of bucks in the pocket. I went the System Restore route and I'm back up and running (After hours of re-installing about 15 other programs and getting other settings straight). Computers are great when they're working - annoying as anything when they glitch. Thanks again for the replies here.
    Quote Quote