VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Sharp Viewcam model VL-E31H used in the late 90s/early 2000s. I've captured all but one of the tapes from the period - but the final one is trapped in the tape drawer and the playback/VCR function no longer works.

The camera fires up using the power supply but I now cannot get it to eject. I've bought an identical second hand model ready to play the tape for capture in the hope I can eventually get it out.

I've looked online extensively and the only useful hit is on YouTube for making the tape eject – BUT it invovles using a piece of metal inserted into the device while it is turned on:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9mj1Ho7-KY
    from user HeyMimi, which I don't want to try for fear of electrical shock (though I'd be happy to remove the tape door, as in the video, to reach the aperture HeyMimi shows).

When I hit the blue eject button on the tape drawer casing, I can hear the motors whir but the compartment does not pop up and open, as in previous years.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Even if it invovles disasembling the camera or tape drawer to reach the tape that way?

I've contacted Sharp but, not suprisingly, have heard nothing back from their 'other products' support email address given the age of this model.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    There is no high voltage anywhere inside a modern LCD camcorder, they usually run at voltages from 6 to 9V, If in doubt put an electric tape around the stick or use wooden food grilling sticks to release the catch, If that doesn't work you would have to have the repair skills to take it all a part, See a repair person near you.

I laught when I hear people saying I contacted the manufacturer and got no response, not realizing the product has been discontinued 3 decades ago and most of the techs have not seen one in their lives.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dellsam
    I laught when I hear people saying I contacted the manufacturer and got no response, not realizing the product has been discontinued 3 decades ago and most of the techs have not seen one in their lives.
    Did you read and digest what the OP said in their last sentence?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yah, So ??? Didn't he contact the manufacturer? I'm I missing something? or you're just been an A hole as usual?
    Quote Quote  
  5. As dellsam3 said, you don't risk any electrical shock, the voltage is very low and it is from a continous curent source (the battery of the camera). If you want to operate more safly, you can try to wear medical latex gloves.

Please keep us informed about the result!

Best regards
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dellsam
    or you're just been an A hole as usual?
    I learnt it from you:

Originally Posted by dellsham
    This member always posts half ass information and asks for a magic answer, You have the camcorder with you, examine it and get us a model number and then we can help you find the manual, although there isn't much help needed when you all have to do is type in the model # in google search bar.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/409287-Does-anyone-knows-what-kind-of-camcorder-is...at#post2687263

And in any case, he may just stumble across a person as knowledgeable as you at the manufacturer. He's never going to get that if he doesn't try.
    Quote Quote