VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I try to install/run DVDStyler on my computer I get the following error message. Image
    [Attachment 61661 - Click to enlarge]
    What does this mean and what can I do about it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can only but guess that the program is checking the registry to automatically select, in your case, NTSC for the dvd.

The error is Windows related and I would check Control Panel >> Region >> Location to see what that reports (other than USA). But it appears from the message that the relevant file is missing from the registry (a faulty log-in or some other issue). If altering the setting in Control Panel does not solve the issue I would create a new topic in the Computer sub-forum.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the entry in my own system, as can be seen, this key contains locale info.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	reg1.png
Views:	113
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	61669  

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does this image help things?

[Attachment 61670 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The screen confirms that sCountry is missing from the registry (hence the error message)

Now check the entry under Control Panel as I described earlier.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [Attachment 61672 - Click to enlarge]
    Where do I go from here?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well if your version of Windows (?) works like mine (7) there are two tabs missing >> 'Location' (which should have shown 'United States') and 'Keyboard and Languages'.

Of course if these tabs are created from the registry entries it would explain why there is no Location tab since sCountry is missing from the registry.

I would not be confident enough to advise you to create the actual entry direct in the registry but suggest you create a topic in the Computer sub-forum such as 'Missing entries in registry and Control Panel'. But do check if your Windows has other Control Panel entries.

Only you can answer how you are logging in or you have some utility that 'hides' certain registry entries. But, as I stated, this issue is not specific to this software and needs to be addressed elsewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Windows 10 if that makes a differnce
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try setting the top pulldown like this, then check the registry and confirm it added the missing value

If it did not, add it manually. In the left pane, right click "International" / new string value
    name: sCountry
    Value: United States
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	region.png
Views:	30
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	61673  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The above might well fix the present issue. (As long as you are confident enough to directly edit the registry)

But it might be equally important to determine why the registry entry is not there. A quick Google reveals that others have experienced the same issue with the registry.

What I forgot to ask from your initial post is what happens if you just clicked on 'OK' in the dialog box showing the error.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Weird, but good thing happened. I had to restart my computer and now the program is working fine without the error message. I guess that means I bothered you all for nothing. Sorry about the trouble, and thanks for all the advice anyways.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well there goes 15 mins of my life that I will not be getting back

Still begs the question as to why the error arose in the first instance. A bad log in. A suspect update. And it's Win10 so who really knows.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Here's the fix in the usa:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International]
    "sCountry"="United States"
    Quote Quote