VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The Blu-Ray says the DTS-HD audio is over 3000kbps. The original M2TS files I extracted says its over 3000kbps DTS-HD.

It's multiple split up .M2TS files and I need to combine the .M2TS files together using a playlist .mpls file in order to get the complete movie put back together. Apparently that's common with Lionsgate Blu-Rays thanks to "playlist obfuscation" from what I have read. MakeMKV or TSMuxer are the only solutions I have found for doing that.

When I try to combine or extract it, or do anything with the split up .M2TS files using MakeMKV or TSMuxer, the bitrate goes down to about 768kbps according to mediainfo. It says it's DTS instead of DTS-HD.

I think this might just be taking the core out or something after a bit of reading?

Whats going on here, and how can I get the original lossless DTS-HD audio from this Blu-Ray?
    I don't want just the core or an AC3 file. I want the full audio as it is on the disc, or at the very least the typical 1500kbps or so DTS/THD I am used to seeing after extraction.
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 17th Dec 2022 at 06:22.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I just found out MeGui can use .mpls files. I have never needed, and have never used those before. I have only used one single large .M2TS files in the past that were not split up.

MeGui was able to get me both the DTS-HD file, and the DTS file with the eac3to built in it.

I don't know why the DTS goes down to approximately 768kbps still. Usually I see THD files with double or more the bitrate, and barely come across DTS audio.

The DTS-HD says it's only about 806kbps / 755kbps, and that its both lossless / lossy in mediainfo, but it's about 3x the file size of the DTS, so maybe mediainfo can't read it properly?

This is supposed to be lossless audio, right? Why is THD lossless from other sources showing in mediainfo with so much more bitrate than this DTS source?

If I make it into FLAC with eac3to instead of extracting it exactly as is, the DTS-HD audio comes out saying it's over 3000kbps.
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 17th Dec 2022 at 08:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think MediaInfo doesn't always gets it right with bitrates. If you want to get the true value, calculate it yourself. Divide the size of the demuxed audiostream over the number of seconds of audio in it.

Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    ...how can I get the original lossless DTS-HD audio from this Blu-Ray?
    If your blu-ray contains seamless branching, you may want to try DGDemux. With such discs, it never failed me in properly gap-processing all streams before being output. Where both tsMuxer and MakeMKV can drop the ball sometimes.

Note that DTS-HD can be MA (Master Audio) or HR (High Resolution). DTS-HD MA is lossless. DTS-HD HR is lossy, but compared to dts it's highly improved. Like MA it carries a dts core. MediaInfo does distinguish between the two.

[EDIT] DGdemux.exe is in theDGDecNV package. DGDemux with GUI can be downloaded at https://www.rationalqm.us/dgdemux/binaries/
    Quote Quote