VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to convert a DivX movie to DVD with TMPG and no matter what I set the bit rate at, I cannot get it small enough to fit on a 4.7 GB DVD-R. Here are the AVI movie details:

1:45:49 Hours
    480x352 pixels
    23 frames/sec

I'm sure this is simple and I've read every FAQ and guide I can find. Any help would sure be appreciated!

Tommy
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    how big is the mpg/mpv after you encoded with tmpgenc?
    do you use wav/pcm audio or mpa/mp2 audio?
    how do you author?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the quick reply. The file size is 4754.69 MB at 2000 kbits/sec video bit rate and 96 kbits/sec audio rate. I"ve tried MP2 and PCM audio and both are over 4.7 GB The quotes above are MP2.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Any other suggestions? Is this OK..I mean will it be OK to go ahead and encode even though it is a little over the "prescribed" limit?
    Quote Quote  
  5. You could always edit out the boring bits ,, say a 3 min chunk near the beginning and then another 4 min chunk about 2/3rds of the way thru.. that should bring your file size down.. or just trim off the end till the file is small enough. Or author it to your hard disk then dvdShrink it.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    firstly I would hate to hear 96kbps audio.

Secondly, I gather that you are authoring the file (creating IFOs, VOBs and BUPs). If you are authoring, you will need to be below 4500MB, and even that is a bit high. Why not drop the video 50-100 kbps ???

Or continue as normal and as mentioned by the frothing canine, continue on as normal and use DVDShrink to pull it back to size.

4.7GB is not what you think it is. 4.7GB in manufacturer speak = 4,700,000,000 bytes.

= 4589843.75 KB in computer speak
    = 4482.27 MB in computer speak
    = 4.377 GB in computer speak

So you see, 4.7GB = 4.377GB !
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Author and Shrink.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    Author and Shrink.
    I would have to lean towards this solution also. Why give yourself the headache of trying to juggle bitrates and re-encoding when you can just author your (oversized) DVD as normal and then Shrink by a few percent? That shouldn't be too much transcoding to make a great difference in the quality of the end result.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you checked the encoded mpg video? i think you got lots of blank video at the end of the file.

tmpgenc may get the runtime incorrect, read www.videohelp.com/tmpgenc#problems

because 1.49 SHOULD fit on a dvdr.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Use ReJig or DVDShrink. ReJig works a little better and costs nothing. Both can squish your mpeg-2 files down by at least 30% with few or no visible compression artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, using 96 kbps audio, you can encode video at 5650 kbps and still fit it on a single layer DVD. You (or TMPGEnc) must be doing something wrong when ecoding.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks for all the replies. On a whim, I used VirtualDub to extract the audio. Then I used TMPGenc to encode the video with the extracted audio at 256Kbs and had no problem keeping it under the 4.7 GB limit. Although this got me through, I still don't know why TMPGenc had a problem with the raw avi...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by tupton
    Thanks for all the replies. On a whim, I used VirtualDub to extract the audio. Then I used TMPGenc to encode the video with the extracted audio at 256Kbs and had no problem keeping it under the 4.7 GB limit. Although this got me through, I still don't know why TMPGenc had a problem with the raw avi...
    Could well have been VBR audio causing the problem.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Could well have been VBR audio causing the problem.
    Highly likely. TMPGEnc can't handle VBR audio source.

/Mats
    Quote Quote