VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SVGA with Faroudja or XGA without???

Guys I’ve been hammering my head lately what projector to chose for home theater.
    I have tried so far regular SVGA with no video enhacement chips ;
    Toshiba TLP (800X600)And Sharp SVGA DLP (800X600) – very compact unites, but
    Both have a ‘screen door’ effect.

Infocus –X1 – SVGA (800X600) with Faroudja chip – no screen door effect – even basic (not HDTV) channels look good.
    But the unite its very bulky…

I have never tried for home video any XGA Projector.
    Do they have ‘screen door’ effect?

If XGA is not meant for home video is it still going to deliver smooth no digital artifacts video like the SVGA with Farougja DIS??

How does a regular video signal ( basic (not HDTV) Satellite channels tru DTV or Dishnet) look like if the XGA has no Faroudja or any other DIS?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LCD?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am discussing DLP front projectors here.

All other 'BOX'- rear projection HDTV, LCD , plasma and etc SUCK BIG TIME when display non HDTV (even digital Satellite/Cable) video signal.

So what should I buy:
    SVGA with Faroudja or XGA without???

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check out hometheaterforum.com. There's all kinds of posts on there about comparisons of different projectors. I think you should definately get something with the Faroudja chip if you're going to watch standard cable, cleans up the picture big time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, bud, I will.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check out avsforums.com as well.
    Very good site.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Faroudja DCDi upscaling technology works very well for standard def to a higher resolution native display. So the strong feature of the Infocus X1 is its ability to upscale normal 525 (effectively 380x480) and 625 (about 425x576) analog to 800x600 SVGA display resolution.

The disadvantage of SVGA is lack of true native HDTV resolution but the X1 is said to do a good job of 1280x720 and 1920x1080 downconversion to 800x600.

A XVGA (1024x 768) native projector still has to upscale standard TV and down scale HDTV. The advantage of higher native resolution is mute if the scaling is poor.

Mileage will vary but its hard to beat the Faroudja DCDi scaling technology in the Infocus X1.

Ask around for opinions on the XVGA projectors you are considering. Look for one with comparable scaling quality.

http://www.av-outlet.com/en-us/dept_335.html
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have laid my eyes on the following projectors @ Fry’s electronics;
    Optoma H31 Home Theater DLP 800x600 3000:1 contrast ratio $1,299.99
    Optoma EP738 DLP Projector 800x600 SVGA2000:1 contrast ratio $899.99 - my choice
    Optoma EP739x XGA (1024x768) DLP Projector 2000:1 contrast ratio $1,599.99

Optoma EP738 DLP Projector 800x600 SVGA deliverers ve-e-ry smooth picture for a SVGA ( no screendoor effect whatsoever ..very compact unite (Size of tel. answering machine), very good price…
    Is it worth to spend more money for the XGA version?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't looked at the current generation. Check the projector forums and reviews.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've had the Infocus X1 for a couple of years and couldn't be happier. I use it with Dish Network for TV viewing (and of course DVD for movies). I opted for the ceiling mount so bulk isn't a concern. Especially so since I replaced a 95 lb. front projector - that's bulk. I'm only running S-Video and projecting on a framed white basement wall and it still looks great.

Of course the technology in small projectors has really picked up in the last two years. Back then the X1 was the only DLP - Faroudja projector for less than $1,000. Now there are several. If I were shopping now I would probably look around a little but I am a huge Infocus fan after owing the X1. Highly recommended.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update:

I called customer service @ Optoma Co and talked to a tech support.
    They said that Optoma H1 – home theatre has 2 ‘Faroudja’ like chips called Pixelworks
    One for Deinterlacing: Pixelworks PW1231
    And one for Video Scaling: Pixelworks PW166
    Also 6 segments 5X speed color wheel

So if the Projector is not meant to be for home video even dough it has high contrast and is XGA – it still will have lot of cons when used as home theater – low speed wheel (2x) and smaller color segment number 3 or 4) which will cause “Rainbow effect” and bad deinterlacer. If you watch regular cable – it will look like a crap.

So I think I’ll go with a hometheater one.
    The Infocus X1 has good, smooth picture – I do not notice any screen door, but a lot of rainbow effects when you move your eyes fast from corner to corner you see this red-orange trail.. some people don’t, but I do.

I also fount a very good priced BenQ PE 5120 home theater which I want to check out too.
    BenQ PE 5120 - I thinks it beats them all (SVGS-s). – Smallest unite, lowest price, lowest noise, ‘Faroudja’-like Deinterlasing chip for smoothing the picture..

$847 @ nextag.com

DLPTM Projection System
    - Native 16:9 WVGA Resolution
    - 1100 ANSI lumens
    - 2000:1 contrast ratio
    - 60" @ 6.6ft Wide Angle Lens
    - HDTV Compatible (YPbPr)
    - 6.4 lbs
    - 26 dB Noise Level under eco-mode
    - 1:1.2 zoom lens
    - 5 segment color wheel
    - 8 sets of Preset Mode
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I own the InFocus SP4805, and for the money I think it's one of the best. HD programming looks GREAT on it, DVD's look wonderful, even standard cable looks good. I also had the X1 for about a year, and while that is a great projector for the price, I find the 4805 to be a better projector for a few more bucks. It has the Faroudja chip, plus it is native 16x9, has a better color wheel, and quite a few other features. I've seen them going for as little as $850 now, not bad considering the X1 was going for about $1000 a little over a year ago.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 4805 is a great buy as dwisniski said (especially compared to the X1). Be careful on pricing. A quick pricescan showed the ones around $850 are refurbed which may or may not be OK for you. New is available for $900 (doesn't say refurbed but may be ) up to $1299 from Crutchfields and Tiger Direct (I know they are reputable). $100 rebate is available from Infocus thru the end of May.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Or for about US$300 you can glue the LCD from a computer monitor (or laptop) onto an overhead projector:

http://www20.tomshardware.com/howto/20041113/index.html

http://www20.tomshardware.com/howto/20041201/index.html
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dwisniski,

I used to have a X1 and I remember – it had a very bad remote control - no sensor on the rear of the projector, so you have to face front of it against the light ( I find this very awkward) in order to use the remote.
    And in PAL system mode – there is no color adjustment available – the control is dimmed.
    Did they fix these cons on the SP4805 model? ‘cause. The box looks the same to me….

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I bought Infocus 4805 from costco it had $200 off and came with a screen considering the screen to be $150 it translates to around $900. My experience is you need a screen 7 to 8 ft wide so you get a good size 16x9 and offcourse need to have +10 ft distance to screen. You don't want projector to be too small otherwise it will move, small projector is good for presentations. you can switch the aspect ratios. I think the best size is full screen because you get the biggest size screen. Imagine looking at 6'X6' looks better than 3-1/2'X6' the picture looks too short for the size of the screen the comes with it (around 6' wide) maybe I am spoilt. If you double the price I am not sure if you get much better but need to darken the room for best performance. There are lot of cons perhaps and the lamp is expensive But when I watch a movie it is the one best things I bought. I studied what to buy my conclusion is the DLP around $1000 is the best bet beats big screen tv. This model has HD even bad dvd's look good like movie theaters. All these projectors translate the aspect ratios so there is no difference and you can switch, in my opinion the best is LB because it gives you the max ht vs width picture looks bigger.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    van_d_man;

I'm not sure, but I think you still have to point the remote at the front for the 4805 as well. Again, not positive, but I think you can do color correction on the 4805 while in PAL. I'm pretty sure when I switch my DVD player over to PAL I have all the same options as NTSC. Sorry I couldn't be more definite, I'll post next time I watch a region 2 DVD
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thankyall!

I got temporarily a Sharp- S1 (SVGA) from Costco .. its OK, excluding the Screen door
    While I wait for Infocus X3 – XGA native with Faroudja Dis comes this June for 1000-1100 USD
    if its not out already...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    van_d_man,

I was wrong, the remote does not have to be pointed towards the projector, I aimed it in the opposite direction, still picked it up. Just wanted to clarify. By the way, did I mention it HD looks GREAT on this...
    Quote Quote