VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I found this AV Surround Sound System and I wanted to ask something about it?

Please watch this video because it says
    It Outputs 50 Watts per CH. with 8. Ohm Speakers.

But if you use 6. Ohm Speakers it will Output 100 Watts per CH.

Is this True or how should I Read this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by biferi View Post
    I found this AV Surround Sound System and I wanted to ask something about it?

Please watch this video because it says
    It Outputs 50 Watts per CH. with 8. Ohm Speakers.

But if you use 6. Ohm Speakers it will Output 100 Watts per CH.

Is this True or how should I Read this?
    It is true - Power (P units Watts) = Voltage (V units Volts) * Current (I units Amps) and Ohm Law says I=V/R where R is resistance in Ohms - lower resistance allow higher current and if voltage doesn't change higher power.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for getting back to me.
    Now the Surround Sound System I am looking at is the Marantz nr1508.

It does not have Doby Atmos but is this something I need?

If I understand what Dobby Atmos is I think it uses Speakers over Head.
    That is ontop of you. and if I am right people will never have this in the Home.

And DVDs are encoded with Doby or DTS anyway and these are 5.1 System Right?

Or do I have everything mixed up?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Atmos 7.1.4 can use 8 speakers total, two would be ceiling mounted.

Two front stereo speakers, a center channel a subwoofer and two surround rears and two surround ceiling rears.

Probably sounds great, but a lot of wiring. The idea is to have separate sounds from all sides and above.

I still use the 5.1 surround setup, but with two subwoofers, two front stereo, center channel, and two rear channels.

7.1 uses four rear surround speakers, along with the front stereo, the center speaker and the subwoofer.
    https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/7-1-setup.html

And with any surround setup, you have to consider your room size, speaker placement, seating placement, room accoustics and budget.

More info about Atmos 7.1.4: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/7-1-4-setups.html

EDIT: I should add that amplifier wattage is often power used by the amplifier channel, not necessarily the actual power to the speakers.
    Generally more power is better. Also amplifier efficiency and speaker efficiency are factors for output levels.
    Last edited by redwudz; 17th Nov 2018 at 13:55.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    since VR, there is dolby atmos used on Jaunt. Paul McCartney performing "Live and let die live" 360 video supposing with dolby atmos. For first time, great immersion, watched second time effect was about 50%. But great stand next to his concert piano and see that fat drumer. And i love this 007 song as well.

Writing it probably good to try sound there. Iam using Oculus default earspeekers. They support 3d spatial. So sound is great.
    Mentioned this as good place to try test sound.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  6. Now my Speakers are all 8. Ohm Speakers so I will get 50 Watts per CH. with the Surround Sound System I Posted Right?

And my Living Room is about 20 SquareFT Bit maybe a little Bigger is 50 Watts ok for this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not sure if all system can fit 20 square foot. Probably you mean 20ftx20ft = 400 square foot. Or as usually iam wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well is this how you place Speakers?

I thought you Sit in the Middle of the Room.
    Now lets say you are 10 Feet in front of the Center Speaker.

Then the Front Left Speaker has to be 10 Feet from you to the Left.
    And the Front Right Speaker has to be 10 Feet from you to the Right.

Or do you just put the Front Left and Right Speakers on the Sides of the Center Speaker and move them out 2. Feet?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    You put the speakers where they fit and then adjust the levels in the receiver using its built-in meter or your own external sound meter.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well what I mean is this.

When you put the Front Left Speaker next to the Center Speaker how Far away from the Center Speaker do you place it to the Side?

This is what I thought.

If you are 10 Feet in Front of your Center Speaker them you Divid 10 By 2. so you place the Front Left Speaker 2. Feet next to the Cenet Speaker.

And you place the Front Right Speaker 2. Feet next the Ceneter Speaker?

Is this how it works?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Power is not everything, also important is how efficiently speaker change electric power into acoustic power - something called efficiency (speaker efficiency) standard speaker sets have this figure around 92 - 88 dB - lower means speaker less efficiently turns watts to perceived loudness - but usually (but this is not rule) more efficient speakers are less uniform in terms of spectrum linearity.
    https://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/tech-tips/tech-tip-wattage-speaker-efficiency-amplifier-loudness
    3dB more efficient speaker (so 91dB instead 88dB) has same effect as raising amplifier power from 50 to 100W - IMHO 91 - 92 is common for well designed decent speakers.

IMHO normal listening rarely need more than 10 - 20W - probably you will be never close to amplifier maximum.
    If i can advice something - focus more on speaker quality than on amplifier - particularly amplifier wattage is one of overestimated parameters - from my personal perspective sound quality is more important than sound loudness. Also speakers are usually one of audio components that you own for longest period - some people may invest money in very good speakers and they can use those speakers for 10 - 20 years. Also speaker box is important - search for good and reputable brands, read also people review but never blindly follow opinion of other people - go to decent audiophile shop and try different speakers by yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Surround sound is all about 'balance'.

My amp came with a small calibration microphone. I place this at my seating position and calibrate the amplifier outputs for each speaker for my seating position, using the receiver/amplifier software.

My front speakers are about nine feet apart and about 10 feet from my listening position. There is no other place for them. The center speaker is at the center, same distance.

The small rear surround speakers are on a couple of end tables, about six feet apart on opposite sides of my seating position.
    The two 12" powered subwoofers are tied together and directly behind the front speakers, facing inwards, correctly phased to each other.

If the receiver/amplifier you plan to use comes with a calibration microphone, definitely the easy way to set up a surround system. I plan to update my system with new full size rear speakers, set behind me about 8 feet. I will use the calibration microphone again for setup.
    My front room is about 18 X 22 feet long.

I have a Pioneer VSX-45 5.2 receiver/amplifier rated at 80W per channel, or 400W total. I could use double that if I really wanted optimum power for my system. I consider it a medium power system for my setup.

But I don't want to piss off the neighbors... At least I have a house, not an apartment.
    Last edited by redwudz; 17th Nov 2018 at 22:00.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I really hate to say this, especially after posting in this thread, but it really doesn't fit in our new VR Player and Software Forum.
    But it doesn't fit in the Audio Forum either as that is a PC forum.

We don't really have forum for surround sound and amplifiers, so I'll leave it here for now.
    Quote Quote