VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have encountered this level of protection for the first time and would welcome comments, I tried dvd fab and ideal copy and win dvd x and guess what only the ancient dvdsmith worked well, the other two took forever and reported reading errors which dvdsmith simply dealt with. The dvd's were all from BFI and all I am doing is copying them to my nas server and keeping the dvd's.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try makemkv.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you but I just wanted to have the dvd menus and all.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by victoriabears View Post
    I have encountered this level of protection for the first time and would welcome comments, I tried dvd fab and ideal copy and win dvd x and guess what only the ancient dvdsmith worked well, the other two took forever and reported reading errors which dvdsmith simply dealt with. The dvd's were all from BFI and all I am doing is copying them to my nas server and keeping the dvd's.
    start dvdfab, click the arrow in the upper right hand corner - click common settings - DVD - pathplayer - disable pathplayer
    then click - DVD Protection - uncheck Enable cloud decryption service - restart dvdfab and retry the discs again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try DVD Decrypter with hardware and software retries down to 0 or 1. The defaults are something like 20 and each retry takes something like 30 seconds. So every bad sector may take 200 minutes to read. Turning the retries down will make the rip go much faster.

Or rip the disc in IFO mode so the bad sectors aren't read. Yes, you'll lose the menus.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you very much for helping.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    I have encountered this level of protection for the first time and would welcome comments, I tried dvd fab and ideal copy and win dvd x and guess what only the ancient dvdsmith worked well, the other two took forever and reported reading errors which dvdsmith simply dealt with. The dvd's were all from BFI and all I am doing is copying them to my nas server and keeping the dvd's.
    start dvdfab, click the arrow in the upper right hand corner - click common settings - DVD - pathplayer - disable pathplayer
    then click - DVD Protection - uncheck Enable cloud decryption service - restart dvdfab and retry the discs again.

Sadly this did not fix the issue, I am continuing with dvdsmith
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post

Sadly this did not fix the issue, I am continuing with dvdsmith
    do the original dvds play ok in a stand a lone player ??
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes they do, thanks
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dvdfab should be able to handle the discs.
    according to dvdfab, read errors are usually caused by a dirty or scratched disc
    and sometimes the copy protection isn't getting properly removed. did you try dvdfab with pathplayer set to
    always enabled ?? also you may want to check the option "ignore reading errors automatically" in dvdfab settings
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks again, it is happening to all my BFI dvd's and many were unopened and had no smudges/scratches of any kind. I have also tried them in different computers and DVD burners. Odd that they seem to have added another level of protection.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like actual mastering errors of disc itself rather than some new fangled protection. WinX DVD Copy Pro skips these errors and rips a new copy minus them(you can them run CloneDVD and strip the menu down more on this ripped DVD folder!), but you say it didn't work for you WinX? Unless that is WinX DVD Platinum program you are talking about?
    Quote Quote  
  13. yes it seems hit and miss dvdsmith will work on some computers and not others or may be my brain has got so onfused I am mixed up. Now found Clayhanger on Network DVD has sony dac as well, damn nuisance. Could not make WinX DVD Copy Pro read the discs.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes it seems hit and miss dvdsmith will work on some computers and not others or may be my brain has got so onfused I am mixed up. Now found Clayhanger on Network DVD has sony dac as well, damn nuisance. Could not make WinX DVD Copy Pro read the discs.
    when was the last time you've cleaned the laser lens on your dvd drive ??
    might also try checking for a firmware update.
    Quote Quote  
  15. both good points and yes I have done those things.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    both good points and yes I have done those things.
    another program you might try is dvdshrink. try that program and see if it'll copy the dvds.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you try one of the old rippers like CladDVD or even Smart Ripper etc in conjunction with AnyDVD and rip on an older system like XP if you have one lying around?

These older rippers wont work in Win10 I think, but maybe in Vista or Win7 under compatibility mode. It might be some junk(cyclic redundancy crap) inadvertently burned into the disc rather than deliberate encryption which is throwing everything off or could be a memory leak problem. FixVTS is an option too, but in my experience rarely worked.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/cladDVD
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/SmartRipper
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/RipIt4Me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SmartRipper was always lousy.
    CladDVD is the same.
    Maybe RipIt4Me might work, maybe, but unlikely.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  19. I do not have any computers other than windows 10 but I have concluded it bad discs or those made with the arcoss erro back in the day, dvd fab is copying them now with settings of DVD - pathplayer - enabled----from reading it is important as it scans the dvd's for whats needed to defeat protection
    DVD Protection - Enable cloud decryption service -this also seems important as it accesses a database of known protection defeats.
    I set reading errors to 4 times and it has successfully copied one disc of the troublesome set, but with 336 errors if that illustrates anything. Luckily the troublesome dvd set is not high on my agenda of needing to watch !
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote