VideoHelp Forum

Poll: I watch my movies....

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Mainly on my Samsung DVD-711 Player
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On My Cyberhome ADL-528
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bad Poll: You left out PC&TV and TV. I watch movies on my TV with and without a DVD player. I also watch movies on my PC. Sometimes I watch the same movie on both, but that's just being a Geek (good surround sound though :P )
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  4. Apex AD-2100, but I also watch of the PC sometimes...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gazorgan
    Bad Poll: You left out PC&TV and TV. I watch movies on my TV with and without a DVD player. I also watch movies on my PC. Sometimes I watch the same movie on both, but that's just being a Geek (good surround sound though :P )
    You can't include all configurations.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I watch em on my tv. some times my dvd player plays the media, sometimes my pc(tv out video card) plays the media... but usually i watch em on my tv
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TGPO... I coming over dawg...I got the popcorn
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dbaker6165
    TGPO... I coming over dawg...I got the popcorn
    And butter, I love tons of buter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mostly on the couch , sometimes from the chair or the floor ..
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    APEX AD-1500 is what I watch my CVD's and SVCD's on. I also spend a lot of time watching my movies on the computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The DVD player is the best way to view a movie and I occasionally view it on the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CJGS
    The DVD player is the best way to view a movie and I occasionally view it on the computer.
    Yeah, watching movies on your DVD player feels more comfortable. :P
    Quote Quote  
  13. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    DVD player..... no fan-noise, perceptually better picture even though it flickers
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by EddyH
    DVD player..... no fan-noise, perceptually better picture even though it flickers
    Why do a lot of DVD players flicker anyway???
    Quote Quote  
  15. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    Uh.... your DVD player flickers?

I just meant the TV, y'know, the ol' interlaced 25/50 or 30/60hz problem. The 'slower' phosphors and wider beam on the average television helps it look smoother than it really is - unless you blow a raspberry or look out the corner of your eye - but it still can't compete with a decent SVGA monitor at 72, 75, 90hz or more..

Odd flickeryness, if you mean like horizontal lines in a hi-rez image looking like a red-eye reduction flash (like, when you set your fonts or horizontal rules too narrow on a menu page), that's coming from the same source, the interlacing. To merely guess at what you mean, you've got a white one-pixel high line on a dark background.. now for starters it's only "really" being scanned 25/30 times per second which doesn't look good (the average movie projector shows each "1/24th" frame a good two or three times to increase apparent smoothness), but to make it worse, it's effectively only "on" for half of the time, as alternate lines are scanned with each pass of the electron beam... and so... flicker.... or 'dancing' with non-aligned lines that are immediately on top of each other.

The only real way to defeat it, outside of a 100/120hz and/or progressive set, is to drop your resolution in some way, best way i've found for menus and the like when I've spent the time to make a fully graphical bitmap for the menu screen, is to put it all together in 2 or 3x final resolution.. low-level sharpen.... shrink it... add any forgotten text (always happens..).. sharpen again.. and then the important point.. do a one-pixel, vertical plane (zero degrees, in paintshop) motion blur. It works similar to the LCD in a gamegear. You still get a similar vertical resolution (small text still fairly readable), still with 480/576 places for the lower edge of your line, but it gets spread upwards across two lines instead of one with a little smearing.
    Result: a nice, smooth-but-sharp looking menu, with near-zero flicker. Usually no detectable flicker at all execept for really high contrast work, say light cream text in a skinny font, on a deep navy part of the background picture. Which I've done once or twice (looks nice!) and it makes for a shocking improvement.

Works a treat for "high" rez (my camera can't actually go significantly *lower* than TV dimensions but yknow what i mean) photos which may have some flickery parts if you make them into 704x480/576 stillframes for a VCD picture album. Just put a mild sharpen followed by 1-pixel vertical motion blur on your pic before encoding, and it looks *perfect*.. assuming the colours and contrast, and composition, are all ok too

Works better for VCDEasy than Nero, as recent Neros do something wierd to the resolution of menu background pics that messes them up (fixing your PAL pics to 704x528 seems to help, but not NTSC; must be some other magic number). It still comes out better than no smoothing at all tho.
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote