VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used to use DVD Shrink to burn dvd movies to a 4.7 dvd-r
    If there is a protection layers, usually DVD Decrypter then DVD Shrink to shrink and burn to do the trick.
    Now DVD Decrypter doesn't work. I used to use DVDfab Decrypter then DVD Shrink to shrink and burn. I downloaded DVDfab Decrypter version 10.0.1.2 but its limited to only 30 day trial now. Is the decrypter still free or is that now limited to 30 days?

What is the difference between DVD Decrypter and DVDfab Decrypter? I just need protection removal. Is DVDfab just a newer version of DVD Decrypter?
    Last edited by jyeh74; 30th Nov 2016 at 20:21.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    after the 30 day trial of dvdfab ends it reverts to the free HD Decrypter.
    please note that the free HD Decrypter may not work on some new releases
    as it lags behind in terms of decryption updates. paid users get updates first
    the free version usually gets updated anywhere from 60 to 90 days after the paid version.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am a little confused.

I went to DVDfab and DVDfab Decrypter and both took me to the same download version 10.0.1.2

https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVDFab-Decrypter
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVDFab

Anyways, none of it worked for protection layer removal. It just "fails". Any other free options?
    Last edited by jyeh74; 30th Nov 2016 at 20:49.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    MakeMKV can decrypt DVD's for free, but it will only rip them to uncompressed main movie MKV files, losing the original menu and extras.

If you absolutely need DVD-video format, this is easy to do, using the newly created MKV in AVStoDVD, which will not usually re-encode DVD compliant files, but will reduce the size of the video to fit a single layer DVD if you want that size, and will do so with excellent quality.

You will need to re-install MakeMKV as new versions are released, or get a new beta key from their forum every 60 days or so.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I need the original menus and extras and would prefer to use one program if possible. A friend told me to use free anydvd
    I downloaded it. It just reads the dvd and says there is CSS protected and that it removed the RCE protection. It does not give me a way to extract it to harddrive to use Imgburn.
    Last edited by jyeh74; 30th Nov 2016 at 21:13.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It goes to 51% in DVDfab Decrypter and the message is "error while reading"

That's interesting because the free version of DVDfab Decrypter has done it for me 99% of the time.
    Last edited by jyeh74; 30th Nov 2016 at 21:09.
    Quote Quote  
  7. AnyDVD works transparent. Any software accessing the DVD while AnyDVD is active will see an unprotected DVD. Try to run DVD Shrink on the DVD now. Otherwise right-click the AnyDVD icon in the system tray (bottom-right) and click "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk" ("Rip to Image" is not recommended for DVDs).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jyeh74 View Post
    I am a little confused.

I went to DVDfab and DVDfab Decrypter and both took me to the same download version 10.0.1.2

https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVDFab-Decrypter
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVDFab

Anyways, none of it worked for protection layer removal. It just "fails". Any other free options?
    What dvd are you trying to copy ?? And is the disc scratched ??
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    AnyDVD works transparent. Any software accessing the DVD while AnyDVD is active will see an unprotected DVD. Try to run DVD Shrink on the DVD now. Otherwise right-click the AnyDVD icon in the system tray (bottom-right) and click "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk" ("Rip to Image" is not recommended for DVDs).
    This is what anydvd says:

Structural copy protection not found.
    Found & removed RCE protection!
    UDF filesystem patched!
    Autorun not found on Video DVD.
    Removed CSS copy protection!
    Bad sector protection not found.
    Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

I just tried using DVD Shrink. It get error message "copy protection error"
    Last edited by jyeh74; 30th Nov 2016 at 22:15.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    If you are using AnyDVD, right click the little fox icon in the bottom right corner of your screen. You'll see a list of options in a pop up window.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Is DVD Decrypter outdated?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Since you apparently have both AnyDVD and ImgBurn installed, you might get away with using EZ Mode Picker in ImgBurn to select "Create Image File From Disc" (rip the dvd to your hard drive). Once you have the image file, load a blank dvd and choose "Write Image File To Disc" to burn the copy. Assuming the original dvd will fit on a blank dvd, going directly thru ImgBurn avoids any possible errors from shrink utilities.

If you do require shrinking, you may want to try the trial version of CloneDVD2 (partner program to AnyDVD). CloneDVD2 uses slightly different methods of ripping and shrinking than DVD Fab and DVDshrink, sometimes it succeeds reading glitchy discs when the other two fail. You mentioned "cyclic redundancy check" issues in an earlier post: thats usually a dead giveaway that the dvd has a scratch or decomposition speck (that may be invisible to the eye). These factory defects are all too common with TV series sets, and sometimes make ripping impossible.
    Last edited by orsetto; 30th Nov 2016 at 22:51.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The cyclic redundancy check was due to something on the disc. Thanks for mentioning. I was able to remove it so the disc is clean now. I'm using DVDFab Decrypter now since I'm familiar with it.
    Well, usually I use DVD Shrink because dvd movies are 7gb. My dvd-r is 4.7gb (dvd5).
    Last edited by jyeh74; 30th Nov 2016 at 23:09.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might want to try dvdfab "passkey"
    The lite version is free, and might do the trick as long as the disc is not the newest "Sony" release
    Sony is the most persistent with ever changing content protection
    Like decrypter and any DVD, it runs in the background,
    Quote Quote  
  15. OK I will use that as an alternative if the other ones don't work. It sounds like people generally prefer Anydvd or DVDFab to DVD Decrypter. Is DVD Decrypter the worst one since it is not supported anymore ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The cyclic redundancy check was due to something on the disc. Thanks for mentioning. I was able to remove it so the disc is clean now. I'm using DVDFab Decrypter now since I'm familiar with it.
    Well, usually I use DVD Shrink because dvd movies are 7gb. My dvd-r is 4.7gb (dvd5).
    when you select dvd-5 the movie will be shrunk to fit on the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    The cyclic redundancy check was due to something on the disc. Thanks for mentioning. I was able to remove it so the disc is clean now. I'm using DVDFab Decrypter now since I'm familiar with it.
    I did not know DVDFab shrinks. What if I have a DVD-9? How do I select that? There is no dropdown to change it in DVDFab prior to decryption.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK I will use that as an alternative if the other ones don't work. It sounds like people generally prefer Anydvd or DVDFab to DVD Decrypter. Is DVD Decrypter the worst one since it is not supported anymore ?
    dvd decrypter used to be the top choice ( there were others also ) it's not that people prefer dvdfab and anydvd/redfox.
    the Hollywood big shots would take a decrypter service to court and have them shut down. they even tried to shut dvdfab and anydvd down
    but both are back up since they are located out of the country.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    I did not know DVDFab shrinks. What if I have a DVD-9? How do I select that? There is no dropdown to change it in DVDFab prior to decryption.
    are you selecting full disc or main movie ?? try the full disc option.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    are you selecting full disc or main movie ?? try the full disc option.
    DVDFab originally selected main movie as default. When I select full disc, it still shows full disc to dvd5. 5316mb-->4300mb 80%
    I do not have the ability to change output from dvd5 to dvd9 for 100%. I looked under Common Settings but did not find it. Does the free version not give you option of dvd5 vs dvd9?
    Last edited by jyeh74; 1st Dec 2016 at 01:01.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It may be that the trial version may not have the option for dvd 9
    Quote Quote  
  22. hmm, I recall the older trial versions having the ability to change output. Maybe they changed it for version 10.0.1.2
    Can someone can let me know if its hard to find.
    Last edited by jyeh74; 1st Dec 2016 at 01:46.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I used to use DVDfab Decrypter (or DVD Decrypter) to remove the protection layer thn use DVD Shrink and then ImgBurn. The first part could take well over 30 minutes.

Now with Anydvd, it removes the protection layer in 2-3 minutes. Then I just leave Anydvd open and use DVD Shrink and then ImgBurn. Saves so much time! Don't know why DVDfab Decrypter and DVD Decrypter took so much longer?
    Quote Quote  
  24. DVDFab seemed to have created just an ISO after it finished running. I can't use DVDshrink to open an ISO. How do I change it to make DVDFab create video/audio files so DVDShrink can read it?
    Last edited by jyeh74; 4th Mar 2017 at 03:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDFab seemed to have created just an ISO after it finished running. I can't use DVDshrink to open an ISO. How do I change it to make DVDFab create video/audio files so DVDShrink can read it?
    Good god man of course DVDShrink can open and read ISO files! The very first Menu item FILE and 3rd item down OPEN DISC IMAGE
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    DVDFab seemed to have created just an ISO after it finished running. I can't use DVDshrink to open an ISO. How do I change it to make DVDFab create video/audio files so DVDShrink can read it?
    Good god man of course DVDShrink can open and read ISO files! The very first Menu item FILE and 3rd item down OPEN DISC IMAGE
    Yeah I know. However, when I chose that 3rd item drop down, it said "Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to read file"
    Quote Quote