VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    With these high rated Canon HV20 and HV30 cameras is one able to shut off auto focus so that moving objects do not throw a monkey wrench in?

I like manual audio, jack for wireless mic, and manual focus is also a must have.

Somehow I think spending another extra grand is a better way to go if you are heading into the pro arena anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I read you may just have trubble showing up at a wedding with a cam that looks like it came from wal-mart...when they could have gotten uncle charlie to film it for nothing rather than paying you $1500.
    I, personally, am not finding out...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That pesky Uncle Charlie %#$s up everything!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hiptune
    With these high rated Canon HV20 and HV30 cameras is one able to shut off auto focus so that moving objects do not throw a monkey wrench in?

I like manual audio, jack for wireless mic, and manual focus is also a must have.

Somehow I think spending another extra grand is a better way to go if you are heading into the pro arena anyway.
    I like getting manual, too.

The HV20/HV30 has manual options as well as a mic jack. If you go to their website, it will give you a complete breakdown of everything.

As for expenditure...try an extra $2,000 for heading into the pro arena. I'd love to find a pro camera that is only $2,000 (around an extra $1,000 from an HV 20), but it doesn't exist. As an example, the Canon X series camcorders start at $3,000 and climb upward from there.
    "What? Huh?!? WHAT will come out no more?!?" Jack Burton -- BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by maek
    Originally Posted by hiptune

As for expenditure...try an extra $2,000 for heading into the pro arena. I'd love to find a pro camera that is only $2,000 (around an extra $1,000 from an HV 20), but it doesn't exist. As an example, the Canon X series camcorders start at $3,000 and climb upward from there.
    God it is expensive to try and do something really great ain't it. Perhaps the way to go is a big expensive $4,000 camera, and also one of these HV30s for the shoots where you really need a smaller camera to get around quick.

I need to sell off some of my junk on ebay to fund a pro piece of gear because I just do not want to go into debt in order to get rolling.

I'm an editor who has finally gotten sick of waiting for directors or producers to call me to edit something. I have decided to just get with it and do it myself. I just need a good camera and some lights, and a bunch of other things. But at least I have 2 PCs with Vegas, and a Mac with Final Cut Pro, I am up on that end already.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    God it is expensive to try and do something really great ain't it.

Watch "Heart of Darkness - The Making of Apocalypse Now"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I saw it when it was new back in 1988 or 89. But yes, that was a rough shoot.

But I'm not trying to do "Aguirre, the Wrath of God" either.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know, but I think a big lesson in HOD was "No risk, no gain". I found it kind of inspiring, despite the craziness of it all. BTW, thanks for the movie rec.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie
    I read you may just have trubble showing up at a wedding with a cam that looks like it came from wal-mart...when they could have gotten uncle charlie to film it for nothing rather than paying you $1500.
    Someone should sell a fake camera skin that makes a small camcorder look big. Imagine something that looks like one of the big guns from the movie, Men in Black but actually it has a small consumer camcorder inside.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SCDVD
    Someone should sell a fake camera skin that makes a small camcorder look big. Imagine something that looks like one of the big guns from the movie, Men in Black but actually it has a small consumer camcorder inside.
    Yes, great idea. :P

I think you can get away with a small camera at an expensive wedding provided the end result is rather stunning. Once they have paid you it is too late to wish Uncle Charlie had been considered.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I do an HDV event shoot, I rent the big cam (usually a Sony HVR-Z1U or Canon XH A1) but use my HV20 and/or PD-150 for second and third angles or close ups.

I like the HV20 for its ability to handle the HDV edit transfer and dubbing duties so I don't need to actually own a $3000 HDV cam. Rentals can be directly charged to the client. I do own a $3500 PD-150 but have been able to rent that out to offset expenses.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have a look at the posts by "Taky" at http://www.hv20.com - he does weddings with an HV30 and a much larger camera - he says he couldn't turn up with just HV30s. The images from the other camera are clearly better, but after colour correction, and downsizing for DVD, you'd be hard pressed to see any difference.

http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=8042&page=2

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are in a situation where you need to maximize your "look" on a wedding shoot with a small camera like the HV30, there are a few things you can do. Use an accessory bracket on your camera and attach a directional mic and an accessory light. In addition, put a nice big lens hood on the camera. This wad of hardware creates a more "pro" look.

You can also hang a light meter around your neck and walk around taking light readings and writing on a clipboard or notebook. Make sure you walk up to the brides father and stick the light meter in his face and make a few notes. Since he's the guy who is probably paying you, that will help him feel like he's getting his money's worth.

That's a bit tongue in cheek but it's interesting how the perception of size versus quality or "pro" changes over time. Remember the consumer VHS camcorders? Most of them were pretty bad but they were big wads. Or how would you like to show up with this hog?

It's a 1950's era television camera but it shot terrible video - low res, poor contrast and it wasn't even color.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

It's a 1950's era television camera but it shot terrible video - low res, poor contrast and it wasn't even color.
    That was a RCA TK40/41 (3 image orthicon sensors), the first color camera. Only 350 lbs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_TK-40
    http://www.ev1.pair.com/colorTV/TVcams-in-action.html
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote