VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Between 3 - 4 is OK. However, on my Samsung standalone, sometimes it stutters when I use CQ mode.
    I can encode it in 2-pass mode, using the same bitrate derived from the CQ mode and it plays normally.
    Not sure why, but I think the CQ creates a slightly bigger bitrate spike on high-demand area's.
    I told you why -- there is no max bitrate limit when you use CQ mode. When you use 2-pass VBR mode xvid obeys the bitrate limit for the profile you chose.

So in CQ mode if a short sequence requires 20,000 kbps it will get it, even if the final average bitrate is 1000 kbps. In 2-pass VBR mode that sequence will be reduced to whatever the max bitrate for that profile is (for example ~4500 in the Home profile).

This is where Divx has an advantage of Xvid. It obeys the profile's max bitrate even in CQ mode. So if the bitrate is going to be too high at the request quantizer, it will automatically increase the quantizer for that segment to keep the bitrate down.

If you want to see what the bitrate limit of your Samsung player is, encode a series of videos at CBR, 1000 kbps, 2000 kbps, 3000 kbps... then play each one until you see which fails. Keep in mind the player has to read the audio track too.
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th Nov 2011 at 09:53.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    959-1190 kbps? That must be average, not peak.
    Right. Can you please suggest a program which will report a file's peak bitrate?

If the peaks are also relatively low, perhaps I'll be OK.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by coyote2 View Post
    Can you suggest a program I can use to report a file's peak bitrate, please?
    I already told you that too: Bitrate Viewer.

Another source of problems for many players is the use of Xvid's 3 warp point GMC. No player I know of outside of a computer can handle that. Many players can now handle Divx's single warp point GMC (including the Philips 5992).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Bitrate-Viewer-2

I get the feeling this thread is starting to go around in circles ...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by coyote2 View Post
    Sorry everyone. I can't thank you all enough. It was foolish of a noob like me to tackle a project like this.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry everyone. I can't thank you all enough. It was foolish of a noob like me to tackle a project like this.
    Not really. Just ask more relevant questions if there is something you do not understand.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Between 3 - 4 is OK. However, on my Samsung standalone, sometimes it stutters when I use CQ mode.
    My old Samsung died, so...

davexnet, I have another big favor to ask, if it would be easy enough, I'd love it if you could please see if your Samsung stutters on the highest bitrate peak of an avi or two:

http://www.yousendit.com/download/T2dmMWZKY3l3TGdpR01UQw
    28MB
    has a bitrate peak of 6080 @1 minute 15 seconds

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CF3ZUTKD
    481MB
    has a bitrate peak of 5712 @49 minutes 09 seconds

I apologize in advance if asking this is rude or demanding.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Just FYI: I have a five year old old Philips 5960 DVD player with Divx/Xvid support. It had no problems with the peaks in those files when playing from a USB thumb drive.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.yousendit.com/download/T2dmMWZKY3l3TGdpR01UQw
    28MB
    has a bitrate peak of 6080 @1 minute 15 seconds
    now I've also placed a copy of that file at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RLT9KK34

(my apologies to anyone who had trouble with the yousendit link)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    coyote2,
    I recorded the files onto a DVD re-writable and they play without problems.
    They are very short bit-rate spikes; perhaps it's their brevity that allows them to play.
    Last edited by davexnet; 10th Nov 2011 at 13:35.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recorded the files onto a DVD re-writable and they play without problems.
    Sweet, thank you very much, davexnet!

Thank you also to jagabo for testing them on your Philips 5960!

They are very short bit-rate spikes; perhaps it's their brevity that allows them to play.
    Last edited by coyote2; 10th Nov 2011 at 13:37.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The default Xvid settings are reasonable. On the Frame tab you might change the Max b-frames to 1 and select Closed GOP and Packed Bitstream for better Divx compatibility. On the Quantizer tab the MPEG Matrix will be slightly sharper than h.263. But it will also raise the bitrate a bit.
    Thank you very much, jagabo, for this very helpful advice on Xvid settings in AviDemux.

Would you recommend any changes to the default Xvid settings in VirtualDub? (I went looking in VirtualDub for the custom settings you suggested above for AviDemux, and I do see these similar ones:

"Quantization type:" [alternatives include "MPEG" and "MPEG-Custom"]
    "Max consecutive B-VOPs:")
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There was an encoding guide floating around here recently, it gave the xvid settings used by the "scene",
    I set it up myself, got into Regedit and saved the key, so I could restore it as necessary.

It made pretty nice encodes, as I remember.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There was an encoding guide floating around here recently, it gave the xvid settings used by the "scene"
    I'd love to see this, but searches are failing me.
    Quote Quote  
  15. The "scene" is a bunch of morons stuck in the VCD era where all encodings had to be 700 MB to fit on a VCD. That has little to do with quality.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The "scene" is a bunch of morons stuck in the VCD era where all encodings had to be 700 MB to fit on a VCD. That has little to do with quality.
    Never mind, then!

Any advice on Xvid configuration in VirtualDub, please, jagabo?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Xvid configuration in VirtualDub is the same as in AviDemux. I usually start with Load Defaults then change:

Profile@Level: unrestricted
    Target Quantizer: 3 (higher or lower if I want lower or higher quality)
    Max Consecutive V-BOP: 1 or 2 (1 for max Divx compatibility)
    Quantization type: MPEG or h.263 (MPEG sharper higher bitrate, h.264 softer lower bitrate)
    Packed Bitstream: enabled
    Aspect ratio: as required by the particular video
    Chroma Optimizer: enabled
    Greyscale: according to source
    Cartoon Mode: according to source
    Quality Preset: User Defined, as follows:
    Motion Search Precision: 6 - Ultra High
    VHQ Mode: 4 - Wide Search
    VHQ Metric: 1 - PSNR-HVS-M
    Use VHQ for bframes too: enabled
    Use Chroma Motion: enabled
    Turbo: enabled
    Maximum I-frame Interval: 100 (to make seeking easier during playback)

There are custom matrices you can use but most of the are aimed at unusually high or low bitrates.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120492
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes - don't worry about what the "scene" recommends. I just looked through them again, they're similar to Jagabo's.
    They did not touch the max I-frame interval, they left it at 300. They also recommended adaptive quantization.

I was interested in the settings initially because I was more concerned with compatibility with my standalone.
    In the end, I somewhat abandoned them and switched to Divx version 6.85. The reason being it was faster,
    and for the Divx subtitle support.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    They did not touch the max I-frame interval, they left it at 300.
    I use 100 just to make seeking at playback a little easier/faster. Using 100 instead of 300 increases the file size by about half a percent when using target quantizer encoding, depending on the material.

They also recommended adaptive quantization.
    Ah, forgot that one. I used to use it. Lately I've decided it adds too many DCT ringing artifacts. But I don't really use Xvid any more. Now I encode with x264 most of the time.
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Nov 2011 at 19:14.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid configuration in VirtualDub is the same as in AviDemux.
    Thank you very much, jagabo, for the settings recommendations quoted below my screenshot. But your mention of Xvid configuration being the same in VirtualDub as in AviDemux perplexes me, since they look very different to me:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xvid-settings.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	9587

In this screenshot, AviDemux is on top, VirtualDub is on bottom. I must be missing something, sorry!

I usually start with Load Defaults then change:

Profile@Level: unrestricted
    Target Quantizer: 3 (higher or lower if I want lower or higher quality)
    Max Consecutive V-BOP: 1 or 2 (1 for max Divx compatibility)
    Quantization type: MPEG or h.263 (MPEG sharper higher bitrate, h.264 softer lower bitrate)
    Packed Bitstream: enabled
    Chroma Optimizer: enabled
    Cartoon Mode: according to source
    Quality Preset: User Defined, as follows:
    Motion Search Precision: 6 - Ultra High
    VHQ Mode: 4 - Wide Search
    VHQ Metric: 1 - PSNR-HVS-M
    Use VHQ for bframes too: enabled
    Use Chroma Motion: enabled
    Turbo: enabled
    Maximum I-frame Interval: 100 (to make seeking easier during playback)

There are custom matrices you can use but most of the are aimed at unusually high or low bitrates.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120492
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by coyote2 View Post
    In this screenshot, AviDemux is on top, VirtualDub is on bottom. I must be missing something, sorry!
    The organization is different but they have all the same settings. Sometimes with slightly different names. You just have to work your way through all the tabs and buttons.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid configuration...
    Thank you very much again, jagabo, for all this help. Just two more questions please:

This one has me confused. I hadn't planned to Resize either of my sources (and while I think I get that that isn't what is going on here, I can't wrap my head around what to do either). Both sources are 25fps; the .m4v is 4:3 and the .avi is 352x288

Can you suggest what I should do here, please? (And..."Pixel" or "Display" Aspect Ratio?)

Name:	ar.jpg
Views:	982
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	9640

Am I correct in thinking that, since none of my sources are black&white, it would be good not to enable "Greyscale encoding"?
    Last edited by coyote2; 15th Nov 2011 at 20:45.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by coyote2 View Post
    the .m4v is 4:3 and the .avi is 352x288
    The pixel aspect ratio is 4:3 PAL (both are half the usual 704x576). Or you could just set the display aspect ratio to 4:3.

Originally Posted by jagabo
    Am I correct in thinking that, since none of my sources are black&white, it would be good not to enable "Greyscale encoding"?
    That is correct. If you set the Greyscale option the video will become b/w.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the .m4v is 4:3 and the .avi is 352x288
    The pixel aspect ratio is 4:3 PAL (both are half the usual 704x576). Or you could just set the display aspect ratio to 4:3.
    Oh, GSpot tells me that 352x288 is 11:9
    Should I really pick "4:3 PAL"?
    (I can't see how to enter "11:9" into Pixel Aspect Ratio, but I wonder if I should enter 11 x 9 into Display Aspect Ratio?)

I promise these questions won't go on forever!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Pixel aspect ratio is the aspect ratio of individual pixels (width of pixel : height of pixel). Display aspect ratio is the aspect ratio of the final picture. Without seeing a shot of the video with an object of known aspect ratio (like the wheel of a car viewed directly from the side) it's impossible to say for sure what the proper display aspect ratio of the video should be. But given the dimensions 352x288 it sounds like the video is quarter D1 PAL. That normally has a pixel aspect ratio of 12:11 (pixels are a little wider than they are tall) and a display aspect ratio of 4:3.

DAR = PAR * SAR

DAR = display aspect ratio, the final shape of the picture
    PAR = pixel aspect ratio, the shape of individual pixels
    SAR = storage aspect ratio, the frame size

DAR = 12:11 * 352:288
    DAR = 12/11 * 352/288
    DAR = 1.0909 * 1.2222
    DAR = 1.3333 --> 4:3
    GSpot is telling you there is no aspect ratio information in the file. So it's assuming the video is square pixel where the final display aspect ratio is the same as the frame size aspect ratio. Square pixel means individual pixels have a 1:1 PAR:

DAR = PAR * SAR
    DAR = 1:1 * 352:288
    DAR = 1 * 1.2222
    DAR = 1.2222
    In all likelihood, someone took a PAL VCD video (frame size 352x288), or a 704x576 (full D1) video and reduced the dimensions by half, and incorrectly encoded as if it was square pixel. But it's possible the video really is square pixel, maybe from a webcam or something.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much, jagabo, for taking the time to enable me to understand that.

I see now I needn't have asked for a follow-up of your initial answer, and I apologize.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The organization is different but they have all the same settings. Sometimes with slightly different names. You just have to work your way through all the tabs and buttons.
    The only one of the Xvid configuration AviDemux settings jagabo helpfully recommended which I haven't found in VirtualDub is:

with AviDemux...select Closed GOP
    My only guess is that...perhaps inputting numbers on this VirtualDub screen

Name:	GOP.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	9650

will do it?
    Quote Quote  
  28. I think the VFW Xvid encoder always uses closed GOPs. There's no way to change it, as far as I know.
    Quote Quote