VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have searched and cannot find a clear answer to this.

For instance, using emulators via Retroarch on my CFW PS3. Setting
    the Display in RA to 1920x1080 (1080p) will upscale the (in this case 8/16-bit) retro games allowing you to see even more of the fine details.

So my question is basically do Blu-Ray players actually upscale from 480p to 1080p as in re-drawing or do they simply stretch the image?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Couple of answers:

1. DVD, Bluray players (and UHD/4K BD players) can upscale, depending on the settings. They rarely upscale beyond their native default resolution, just upscaling from smaller to normal
    2. Those settings could be set to: no upscaling (w/ pillar/letterboxing), zoom, stretch, etc.
    3. TVs do it too, so choose which way looks best: upscale in player + leave alone at TV vs. leave alone in player + upscale in TV vs. leave it all alone and watch native size (no interpolation there). Do NOT upscale twice.
    4. Upscaling = interpolation = guessing no matter which method is tried ("redrawing"?, "stretching").
    5. You NEVER, NEVER, NEVER get MORE detail when upscaling, always less (because interpolation), but depending on the kind of guess and the strength of local contrast sharpening, it may sometimes appear to the unaware as if it had more detail.

My assumption when hearing about stretching is that the aspect ratio changes (squares become rectangles or vice-versa), but this may not be how you are referring to this. Regardless, it is still guessing and redrawing whether proportional or not.

Try all the options and use what looks best to you.
    Hope that helps,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 60fpshacksrock View Post
    I have searched and cannot find a clear answer to this.

For instance, using emulators via Retroarch on my CFW PS3. Setting
    the Display in RA to 1920x1080 (1080p) will upscale the (in this case 8/16-bit) retro games allowing you to see even more of the fine details.

So my question is basically do Blu-Ray players actually upscale from 480p to 1080p as in re-drawing or do they simply stretch the image?

see this Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_scaler#Upscaling.2FUpconverting_DVD

and this here - https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/upscaling-how-does-it-work-and-is-it-worth-it/
    Last edited by october262; 23rd Jul 2021 at 00:56.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the information and links guys.

The default settings I use look very good on my HDTV and Blu-Ray player when playing DVD's. I just wanted some information about how these things work.

Again, thank you both.
    Quote Quote