VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a VCR Sharp VC-90ET & Hitachi VT-498EM Tape Recorders connected to my PC using a Leadtek Winfast PVR3000 Deluxe hardware MPEG capture card via an RCA A/V cable. Both seem to work fine with an exception of:

1. A horizontal corrupted line on the bottom part of the screen as pictured in the these YouTube videos. It is more pronounced on the Sharp and slightly more transparent on the Hitachi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyaUO2iSQJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsNkW0S9c-w

2. Also when I play a VHS tape and capture / convert it into an mpeg file, I can hear a slight background white noise like a constant hiss if I increase the volume of the PC speakers higher than 30% when I play the mpeg. The noise is slightly higher when using the Hitachi VCR.
    This occurs with every single VHS tape I've tried and are all in great condition, thus the problem in probably not within the tapes themselves. I also tried a another PVR capture card with the same results.

So is this some technical problem with the VCR recorders and can it be fixed? Maybe cleaning?

My setup:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9500 @2.83GHZ
    MSI GeForce 1070 8GB Gaming X
    Creative SB X-Fi
    8GB Ram
    256GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO
    Win 7 PRO 64BIT
    Nvidia Drivers 441.87 English
    Leadtek Winfast PVR3000 Deluxe hardware MPEG

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by retroborg; 11th Oct 2020 at 09:13.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by retroborg View Post
    1. A horizontal corrupted line on the bottom part of the screen as pictured in the these YouTube videos. It is more pronounced on the Sharp and slightly more transparent on the Hitachi.
    Head switching noise - it is VHS feature!
    http://www.avartifactatlas.com/artifacts/head_switching_noise.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Capturing to MPEG-2 is not ideal but if you are happy with the outcome that's all what matters, Audio hiss is normal for a low budget VCR that plays the linear audio track, Some high end VCR's have Dolby noise reduction on the linear track. I've also noticed that you have vertical wiggle and that is due to lack of line TBC in the VCR. All this is expected in a standard VHS deck.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The catch with Dolby NR is that it's a two step process. The tape would have to have been recorded with a Dolby NR track. Otherwise the playback of a regular recording will have less hiss, but the dynamic range, what little there is on a VHS linear track will be crushed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    The catch with Dolby NR is that it's a two step process. The tape would have to have been recorded with a Dolby NR track. Otherwise the playback of a regular recording will have less hiss, but the dynamic range, what little there is on a VHS linear track will be crushed.
    That applies only to home videos, Most of pre-recorded tapes had some sort of Dolby NR during mastering of the linear track. Maybe in later years of VHS when HiFi Stereo was the standard they dropped NR on linear tracks to cut on licensing fees, That's the only thinkable reason to why a commercial tape don't have NR on the linear track.
    Quote Quote