VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm pretty new to video editing and not all that computerate, but I hope someone can help me. I have successfully used VSDC free version to combine two videos of me playing the guitar to which I later added bass and vocals from others.
    Today I started a new project. I recorded the first track using the windows camera and a snowball microphone. Then I put that on my tablet and listened to it through headphones while recording the second track, again with the windows camera and snowball mic. I loaded them into VSDC as before, trimmed the second recording so they started perfectly together and listened to the whole thing. Here is the weird part. After about 46 seconds the second track goes completely out of sync by about 1 beat. After much checking I have discovered that:
    The individual recordings on both the computer and the tablet seem to keep time. I have played them along with a metronome on my phone and they seem fine.
    If I play the video in the editing program, as soon as the videos go out of sync I press pause, then when I press play again they are back in sync.
    If I don't pause it they stay out of sync.
    If I export the video and listen to it, it is out of sync from the same point in (around 46 seconds).

I know it's dangerous to make assumptions, but it would seem to be the editor that is causing the problems. I have uninstalled and reinstalled VSDC and the exact same problem is still there.
    Has anyone heard of this problem? As I said at the beginning, I have successfully completed one project with VSDC and find it quite easy and intuitive for my lack of experience. Maybe the free version is simply not that reliable.
    Thanks for any advice you can offer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    are you sure you only trimmed that video? if you stretched or shrank it at all you might end up with that. the better way to sync multitrack recordings is to slide the entire video until they line up properly then mark in and out points to export only the marked area.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi aedipuss, I'm pretty sure I only trimmed the beginning until it matched up with the other one as I had done on the previous project. I also tried closing down VSDC without saving the project, started again and exactly the same thing happened again at the same spot. But thanks for the advice and I'll certainly give our idea a go.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    aedipuss, I just tried your idea and the exact same thing happened at the same spot. As soon as one guitar started to go out of sync I pressed pause and then play and it got back into sync and payed perfectly. Is this more likely some sort of corrupted video file problem? A problem where the video plays perfectly on my computer, but causes some weird problem in VSDC?
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Have you run this by VSDC tech support ? The support may not be there for the free version of some programs. OTOH, one might get some indication of whether their support is any good for the paid version, on the basis of their response. Or from doing some reading in the dedicated product forum that a lot of programs will have.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    seeker47, I understand from their website that technical support isn't free. At the risk of sounding mean, this is only an occasional thing for me brought on by the lockdown and I fully understand that you get what you pay for. I really only wondered if this was a common enough problem over different types of video files and editing programs and what I might look at to get around it. When I googled VSDC forum I got this one so I joined. I'll see if there is one dedicated to VSDC.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    There are probably no bigger fans of VH than myself. It has been and continues to be a great resource. I have noticed an apparent diminution in the volume and frequency of message traffic here over the past year or two, though . . . and I keep hoping someone will tell me that this is an erroneous perception.

I'm interested in the answers you may get on your question, as I remain a rank beginner when it comes to video editing. (The stuff that I do in that regard is pretty crude, and far less technically involved than your project, for example. No multi-track, or anything like that. I have some programs like VideoRedo, but I quickly get lost in the editing timeline and controls for its features. There has not been a project of sufficient importance come along as to force me to try and break through those barriers of my understanding.)

If you don't find the enlightenment you are after here, you might also join AVSforum. I have liked them a lot also, but it always seemed to me that the relative volume of info to navigate your way through over there was sort of like NYC compared to, say, Shreveport. Good luck.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    can you upload the videos here? i'd be willing to take a look at them using vegas pro and see if the same thing occurs.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    aedipuss, thanks for the offer. In fact I realised that I still had the original tracks from my last project on my computer so I did another edit of them and they stay in sync all the way through. Clearly there must be something in the recordings or the transfer of the first one to my tablet that's causing the problem with VSDC. Chasing that down may be very difficult.
    Thanks both for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a quick update. I worked out that it was the second recording that was causing the problem so I re-recorded it and it has edited perfectly. I'd still like to understand what the problem was since I can't check out the takes until I try to edit them, but at least I've got it working.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Use Mediainfo to see whether either of the recordings use variable framerate. VSDC may be having trouble interpreting it correctly on playback, especially while playing back other tracks simultaneously. (So did big boys like Adobe until very recently.)
    Quote Quote