VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    into their motherboard!"

From Electronic News:
    http://www.reed-electronics.com/electronicnews/article/CA602292.html?industryid=21365

Kiss good bye for USB3
    i-NCO
    Quote Quote  
  2. USB was dead anyway....it's good for printers though
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by lenti_75
    USB was dead anyway....it's good for printers though
    USB dead? where do you get that idea, half the world (or so it seems) now runs on USB devices, Printers, external hard drives, digital cameras, scanners, mp3 players, memory sticks etc etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pyscrow
    Originally Posted by lenti_75
    USB was dead anyway....it's good for printers though
    USB dead? where do you get that idea, half the world (or so it seems) now runs on USB devices, Printers, external hard drives, digital cameras, scanners, mp3 players, memory sticks etc etc.
    Also headsets,gamepads,capture devices,mouse,keyboards etc...
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0

Also headsets,gamepads,capture devices,mouse,keyboards etc...
    Maybe, today. But for fast HW, something better is required, that's something that USB2 just can't do. It simply even can't match 1394a. Plain and simple, read for example, hard disk tests (available in net). It taxes your CPU less. Like it, or try to leave it, but it's very likely, based on this news, that FW800 will be integrated in next Intel high end chipset, even if you don't like it Currently from Oxford, as seprate chip, next incarnation/family, it will be integrated... 1600Mb version is about ready to be launched. Eh, f**k your USB2.0

Edit: Most of those USB 2.0 hard drives do firewire too. But they do FW much faster, so you gain much higher transfer rates using FW and less CPU load. USB 2.0 is just haxed 12Mb USB. "Better" scanners and printers tend to Firewire... Not only USB, as cheapies...
    i-NCO
    Quote Quote  
  6. I dont have anything against firewire, it just gets bugger all usage compared to USB, just coz something is better does not mean it will get preference! Yes I agree that part of the reason firewire gets little usage is that computers do not come with it as standard, so it may get a resurgence if this happens, but gee its got a LOT of ground to make up!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Firewire (even 1304a) has the advantage over USB in the area of data transfers because, unlike USB, Firewire can send the data in an uninterrupted stream.
    USB will not go away since I have never seen a Firewire printer, or a firewire joystick. Have you?
    TANSTAAFL
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Prot
    USB will not go away since I have never seen a Firewire printer, or a firewire joystick. Have you?
    Actually, there are certain high-end printers with FW. For example, Epson makes 'em. USB will be used for low bandwidth devices, since it's cheap and adequate for keyboards, joysticks etc, but rather sure, no USB 3.0 for hard disks or other high bandwidth devices. FW has better wire protocol, it's faster and has plenty of other advatages, like capability to supply more power (USB, 2.5W, FW is usually 10-50W) to devices.
    i-NCO
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We just need MS to provide good support for Firewire 800 and fix delayed write failures...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ofbarea
    We just need MS to provide good support for Firewire 800 and fix delayed write failures...
    ...and stop assuming that 1394 is your network connection in XP Pro!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lol@ USB is DEAD!! Watcha talkin abut :P ?!?!?
    God Bless Lebanon...
    Quote Quote  
  12. just coz something is better does not mean it will get preference!
    rem beta-max anyone????

COOKIEEE!!!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Both USB and Firewire serve a purpose. I don't think the article was which was better. I also don't think the article said that FW Ports were replacing USB ports. I believe it said these FW Ports were being added to the boards architecture. There was some related discussion about Sata slots, but not a single mention of USB.

I didn't read anything about something(USB) being removed. I think some people didn't read the article or decided to jump on the "kill USB bandwagon". You can climb aboard that train, but remember tech from the 1960's (the floppy) is still widely used today.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Floppies? We don't need no stinkin' floppies!"

Funny how the PC98 spec (from Intel) calls for the removal of floppy drives. Let's see, ummm, 2005 minus 1998 equals seven years.

Personally, I haven't had a need for a floppy disk since my first iMac. My backup disk is a 100GB HD and I archive my iTunes collection to DVD.

Wait! I take that back. I -did- need a floppy when I installed W2K and it asked for the RAID drivers. Of course, being as Bill Gates "invented the CD", you'd have thought he would have permitted a CD to be a choice (rather than a floppy). No such luck.

So the only reason consumers might still require floppies is because Microsoft can't program its way out of a paper bag, eh?
    Quote Quote