VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi fellas
    I'm planning to digitize some tapes. I got a Panasonic GS400 and a Hitachi 8mm with TBC. I've set up passthrough going from the one camera to the other, and it works fine on my Mac Mini where I use some old tool called Vidi, which seems to just save as .DV which is as "original quality" as it gets (right?).

While it looks nice I'm still wondering whether this is the method to settle on. The RCA -> 3.5mm cable isn't s-video.

So my question is; what is likely better - RCA passthrough a DV camera or capturing s-video?

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    For highest quality, you should run s-video into a digital converter and store in lossless format. DV is compressed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    For highest quality, you should run s-video into a digital converter and store in lossless format. DV is compressed.
    What could an example of a digital converter be?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Looks as if Kocane is using a Mac, so inferior DV lossy encoding is the only choice.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Looks as if Kocane is using a Mac, so inferior DV lossy encoding is the only choice.
    Well my primary is a Windows computer, I'm just using the Mac Mini for it's firewire.

It's still just old hometapes I'm digitizing so expensive equipment is probably not what I had in mind. So it kinda comes down to s-video+capturecard vs composite+dv passthrough
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Kocane View Post
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    What could an example of a digital converter be?
    Anything from a dodgy $15 USB dongle:

To a $5,000 broadcast-quality frame sync/converter:

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For the GS400, tapes from it was/were already encoded as DV, so the best, fastest, most straightforward way to capture is via FireWire DV transfer. Though I would not use VIDI, but rather iMovie.

For the Hitachi 8mm, if that is Digital 8, then I would also go FireWire DV. Otherwise those tapes could possibly be better suited by S-video + cap card/device and storing losslessly (or if you are stuck on the Mac side for those as well, ProRes).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    For the GS400, tapes from it was/were already encoded as DV, so the best, fastest, most straightforward way to capture is via FireWire DV transfer. Though I would not use VIDI, but rather iMovie.

For the Hitachi 8mm, if that is Digital 8, then I would also go FireWire DV. Otherwise those tapes could possibly be better suited by S-video + cap card/device and storing losslessly (or if you are stuck on the Mac side for those as well, ProRes).

Scott
    Good thought. But I doubt, from what Kocane has posted, that better quality is a concern and I suspect it wouldn't be recognized anyway. From what he/she says it's already decided, and learning something new would be inconvenient.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 24th Feb 2018 at 05:48.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Scott
    Thanks. iMovie just seems like it wants to make my videos into .mov or deinterlace them with whatever method they're using, which is not what I had in mind, and why I thought Vidi semed like a nice method to just get the .DV file and then encode and deinterlace with H264.

As for the 8mm tapes, it's a combination of video8 and hi8 so analog, yeah. I thought passthrough a firewire camera like my panasonic could be a good idea but if it's lossy then I guess the better method is to go with my Hauppauge USB Live 2 and S-video.

Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Good thought. But I doubt, from what Kocane has posted, that better quality is a concern and I suspect it wouldn't be recognized anyway. From what he/she says it's already decided, and learning something new would be inconvenient.
    Huh
    Last edited by Kocane; 24th Feb 2018 at 07:19.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Kocane View Post
    As for the 8mm tapes, it's a combination of video8 and hi8 so analog, yeah. I thought passthrough a firewire camera like my panasonic could be a good idea but if it's lossy then I guess the better method is to go with my Hauppauge USB Live 2 and S-video.
    You'll also need an S-video deck, line TBC, and full frame TBC if you want results better than the D8 camcorder with firewire.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You'll also need an S-video deck, line TBC, and full frame TBC if you want results better than the D8 camcorder with firewire.
    Arguable, depending on how good the GS400 is at stabilization. There is still a trade-off against DV's increased color decimation. Does the Hitachi camcorder already have s-video out?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Arguable, depending on how good the GS400 is at stabilization. There is still a trade-off against DV's increased color decimation. Does the Hitachi camcorder already have s-video out?
    The Hi8 Hitachi camcorder does TBC and S-Video out, yes. I'm not really sure I get DV passthrough, though. Even tho the 8mm video is just passing through the camcorder is the footage still affected by the DV compression like if it was recorded onto the tape?
    Quote Quote  
  13. From what I've heard, most DV camcorders with analog passthrough apply the TBC to the signal. And the analog passthrough is the signal before DV compression, so it's free of DV artifacts. The firewire output is always DV compressed.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    The GS400 has a single s-video jack for input and output, so I don't see how you could use it for analog passthrough.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    The GS400 has a single s-video jack for input and output, so I don't see how you could use it for analog passthrough.
    RCA --> 3.5mm? It's not s-video which is my point.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From what I've heard, most DV camcorders with analog passthrough apply the TBC to the signal. And the analog passthrough is the signal before DV compression, so it's free of DV artifacts. The firewire output is always DV compressed.
    The analog output has DV conversion applied. It doesn't know how to do anything else. It goes in, gets processed TBC+DV, then is output over either Firewire or analog.

In fact, most cameras have a shared s-video in/out port, with menu selection to change direction.

And many (most?) DV cameras don't have passthrough ability at all.

Cameras probably could have existed as you state, but I don't think any model does so. The intention was to always transfer analog over Firewire or save to tape. That feature came in later years, and was not originally part of the plan for DV.

Some don't even allow s-video, and composite is the only output choice.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  17. Well, I'm an idiot, I oversaw the IN/OUT next to the S-video port on my Panasonic, which means I can passthrough s-video from my analogue hitachi to my DV panasonic. Whether or not the DV transfer is better quality than using my Hauppauge USB Live 2 capture card, I gotta compare side by side I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    That's an INPUT and DV encoding, not pass-through. The idea of pass-through is that you put in an analog signal and you get an analog signal out. You will be getting an encoded DV signal out. All else being equal, DV will not look as good as uncompressed or losslessly-compressed video.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    That's an INPUT and DV encoding.
    But what else can I do with a DV camera with "pass-through". Calling it pass-through is just bullshit then? But I see what you mean, I was just under the impression that something like my Hauppauge USB Live 2 also could have quality loss of sorts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Contrary to what JVRaines stated, from my memory, "Analog Pass-through" on DV cameras has always meant separate analog input ports + (live) dv encoding onto firewire IO port.
    If there's no separate analog output as well as input (or if there's only one switchable), there's no way it could truly PASS THROUGH. But then, why would you? To pass through in that manner would be the same as a straight direct cable connection bypassing the device.
    If you assumed it would input analog, digitize to digital uncompressed with framestore (quasi-tbc), then d->a back to analog and back out, that is NOT a common feature. And that's not truly passing through, since it would be being acted upon by the digitizing (even if uncompressed).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, "passthrough" on DV cameras is s-video/composite in > Firewire out. I don't think I've ever seen one with both analog in AND out.

And technically, you're probably right -- ie not really "passthrough" (transparent/unity).
    But it's still the accepted lingo of in>processing>out
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, accepted lingo. Except a few who don't know the history, I guess.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    a few who don't know the history, I guess.
    Or forget.
    Quote Quote