VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Using a combination of jagabo tips and Puzzler tips and using VDubFilterMod for capping, dropped frames and audio synch issues have become a thing of the past for me. Before, I found Virtual Dub unusable:

jagabo tips:

At Video tick:
    Overlay,
    Video Source> composite Capture Pin > 25 Frame rate, Color space YUY2, Output size 720x576
    Capture Filter: Filters properties > you can raise the volume up to 255, Video decoder > Pal
    Crossbar: Video Composite In
    Output > Audio Decoder Out = audio line in <Input, Also tick Related Link Stream
    Compresion > Huffyuv or Lagarith

At Audio tick these:
    Enable audio capture
    Volume meter
    Don`t tick Enable Audio Playback during capture because you get dropped frames
    Capture Device
    Source Audio> Audio Line

At Capture tick only > Timing > Do not resync between audio and video stream
    Automatically disable resync when integrated audio / video capture is detected

From the File> Set Capture File

Puzzler tips:

Video->Preview (so you can see what you're doing)
    Video->Video source (and select what you're using, which should be either "Composite" or "SVideo")
    Video->Capture filter...->Video Proc Amp tab (defaults are usually fine, but I like a bit of sharpness to 3)
    Video->Compression->HuffYUV v2.1.1->Configure->anything "best" (but usually no difference regardless)
    Video->Set custom format->set your resolution and YUY2 YUV 4:2:2 interleaved

Capture->Disk I/O->12MB chunk size, 24 chunks in buffer, don't check "Disable Windows write buffering" (these settings help tremendously in preventing dropped frames)
    Capture->check "Autoincrement filename after capture" (this is important to prevent accidental rewriting over your captures)

Of course, these are my preferred settings, and much depends on your region too (resolution, fps). You may need to also look into other settings, stop conditions, experiment with preview if it doesn't lag your system. As well I prefer capturing audio uncompressed through the sound card.

Oh, and BTW, DO "Enable audio capture" along with your settings. And DON'T "Enable audio playback" since this tends to drop frames

I also have a Panasonic DMR-ES15 in the capture chain as a line TBC. Capping through a USB capture device.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BlackCross View Post
    Why not? Youtube and many players don't deinterlace.
    Deinterlace is destructive and lossy. You're ruining the videos. Keep interlaced archive, make deinterlaced copy for Youtube/etc.

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Using a combination of jagabo tips and Puzzler tips and using VDubFilterMod for capping, dropped frames and audio synch issues have become a thing of the past for me. Before, I found Virtual Dub unusable:
    That's so interesting. I had the exact opposite experience, where formerly fine capture devices would suddenly have problems. I guess FM can't be written off entirely for capturing.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    That's so interesting. I had the exact opposite experience...
    Odd, isn't it, how two people's experiences could be so different? I'm not sure what the moral of the story is except one should experiment and find out what works best for him or her.

By the way, I'm not sure VDub doesn't work now, only that it didn't work well for me in the past (enormous progressive audio desynch together with lots of dropped frames). I had decided to try out VDub FilterMod after reading good things about capturing with it. It could very well be it was more the tweaked capture settings that proved a success, and VDub might have worked equally well with the same settings. But I had no intention of changing anything once I got VDub FilterMod working.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I hate to throw a wrench into the works but don't forget DScaler. I went from pulling my hair out trying to capture lossless with VDub to getting it done in a few hours with DScaler.
    Just a thought.
    The app seems nice and the quality is decent but I can't seem to set it up properly so there is audio during recording.

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Using a combination of jagabo tips and Puzzler tips and using VDubFilterMod for capping, dropped frames and audio synch issues have become a thing of the past for me. Before, I found Virtual Dub unusable:
    Thanks a lot. Preliminary tests have shown that the audio is perfectly in sync. Will try tomorrow with different tapes and longer recordings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I hate to throw a wrench into the works but don't forget DScaler. I went from pulling my hair out trying to capture lossless with VDub to getting it done in a few hours with DScaler.
    Just a thought.
    The app seems nice and the quality is decent but I can't seem to set it up properly so there is audio during recording.
    Actions - Recording - Options
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by manono View Post

I also have a Panasonic DMR-ES15 in the capture chain as a line TBC. Capping through a USB capture device.
    Nope, the audio desyncs slowly after 15+ minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Oh, too bad, then. Sorry it didn't help. Did you check that it wasn't dropping frames? It says how many are dropped in the lower left of VDub Filter Mod. If you get dropped frames it could be something else responsible - antivirus or other computer CPU usage during the capture. CPU usage should be very low.

You might try Amarec TV. Use this version:

http://iotku.pw/gvusb2-guide/

and scroll down about a third of the way for the AmaRec TV download link and set-up instructions.

Or get a Canopus box and capture as DV. Those boxes are known for keeping the audio synch.
    Quote Quote  
  8. No probs, I'm grateful for all of the help I can get. It was dropping frames when I tried other timing settings. About 70-80 both dropped and doubled. I don't have an antivirus on this system and it's one of the latest Intel i5. CPU usage is indeed below 20%.

Thanks for advice, I will research and experiment!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Be sure you're not trying to capture 59.94.
    Sometimes that happens.

Re-check all settings.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Just a thought.
    Actions - Recording - Options
    The only result I could obtain was by selecting "What U Hear" and it was quite terrible.

Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Be sure you're not trying to capture 59.94.
    Sometimes that happens.

Re-check all settings.
    I did. 25 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm quite bummed that I cannot get the recording with synced audio and video. Tried on the PC (i5 6th gen, 1060 GeForce, 16GB RAM, SSD) and on the MacBook Pro (mid-14) with Geforce and both give me unusable results. Is Premiere Pro a possible option for capturing?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Managed to get sound in DScaler with the SoundMix options from another sound card. Audio synced during one minute of testing. Launching an one hour recording to see how it holds.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Success at last! Managed to do it with DScaler.

Can you please recommend me the best ways to perform deinterlacing and exporting the result to mp4? I have access to Premiere Pro, if necessary. I understand that it makes sense to keep the source but one couldn't transfer a 30GB file to friends via Google Drive. Have been doing it with VirtualDub and Handbrake like the guy in this Youtube video recommends "How to convert VHS videotape to 60p digital video (NTSC)" but would love to experiment further.
    Last edited by BlackCross; 10th Feb 2018 at 18:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I freakin' LOVE DScaler.
    So much less bullshit fiddling than VDub.

I also love HandBrake for any kind of "internet-based" video creation/rendering.
    For actual DVD/mpeg2 stuff, I have an antique version of MainConcept Reference.
    I know ZERO about interlace/deinterlace.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by BlackCross View Post
    Can you please recommend me the best ways to perform deinterlacing and exporting the result to mp4?
    Post an untouched sample, 10 seconds with steady movement.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Can you please recommend me the best ways to perform deinterlacing and exporting the result to mp4?
    Post an untouched sample, 10 seconds with steady movement.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kneDqeLyxsmgBZI_4lNxyRQ6Ia7WGnxi?usp=sharing

"ATI DScaler.avi"

I freakin' LOVE DScaler.
    So much less bullshit fiddling than VDub.

I also love HandBrake for any kind of "internet-based" video creation/rendering.
    For actual DVD/mpeg2 stuff, I have an antique version of MainConcept Reference.
    I know ZERO about interlace/deinterlace.
    Thanks a lot. I will try MCR.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Here are the two versions of capture with ATI and EasyCAP with PAL_B mode, UT codec and PAL cassette (I disabled everything you specified and the VCR option too).
    Thanks for uploading those. The EasyCAP has more dot crawl/herringbone artifacts but fewer sync issues. The ATI has crushed some darks but you may be able to fix that with the video proc amp settings. The ATI cap has PAL Hanover bars but those are easily fixed with a vertical blur of the chroma.
    I'm back to this issue. Should I use the Chroma Smoother filter within VirtualDub FM? 4:1:0 config seems to help the most. In practice, during the playback -- it's hardly noticeable though. On stills - it is.
    Quote Quote  
  18. You can eliminate the Hanover bars with a vertical blur of the chroma. I don't know if you can do this easily in VirtualDub. I do it in AviSynth:

Code:
    MergeChroma(last, SeparateFields().Blur(0.0, 1.0).Sharpen(0.0, 0.7).Weave())
    But what you really need is a better VCR (one that doesn't generate oversharpening halos) and a line TBC. And why bother digitizing Mutant Ninja Turtles? Isn't it easily available on DVD? Even a poor DVD will have better quality than what you're going to get from VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You can eliminate the Hanover bars with a vertical blur of the chroma. I don't know if you can do this easily in VirtualDub. I do it in AviSynth:

Code:
    MergeChroma(last, SeparateFields().Blur(0.0, 1.0).Sharpen(0.0, 0.7).Weave())
    But what you really need is a better VCR (one that doesn't generate oversharpening halos) and a line TBC. And why bother digitizing Mutant Ninja Turtles? Isn't it easily available on DVD? Even a poor DVD will have better quality than what you're going to get from VHS.
    I'm not digitizing TMNT, it was just one of the PAL tapes that didn't have personal stuff.

Yes, I definitely need a better VCR. Hard to find these days. This was the fourth one that I found and had quality superior to all the previous ones that I tried.
    Quote Quote  
  20. On an offtopic note, is it possible to somehow fix this horizontal wobbliness by digital means?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ds000.avi_snapshot_00.21.58_[2018.02.13_19.59.52].png
Views:	109
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	44685  

Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  22. One curious thing that I have noticed is that this kind of "bleeding" artifact only occurs when I connect the VCR to the computer through the stick. When it's connected to the Sony Bravia TV then the image is good and no "bleeding" occurs.

It just happens on a couple of tapes from the ~30 collection though. One of them is "bleeding" so hard that it's impossible (more like, doesn't make sense) to capture.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mpv-shot0001.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	44786  

Quote Quote  
  23. Bleeding? You mean the way the top of the picture leans to the right? That's called flagging. The line TBC should take care of that.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Bleeding? You mean the way the top of the picture leans to the right? That's called flagging. The line TBC should take care of that.
    Thanks for correcting. Apparently the TV has got this function.
    Quote Quote  
  25. TVs are much better than capture devices at handling sync irregularities.
    Quote Quote