VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I am using the latest version .9y of ffmpegX and mencoder to encode an mp4, adding SRT subtitles and burning them into an AVI.
    It works fine in preview, and I can adjust the size of the font using the GUI interface (0..5).

However, when I encode the video, the resultant AVI always has the subtitles using the smallest font size (0).

There are some dated posts that indicate that other people have observed this, and the suggestion is that the latest .9y mencoder does not correctly process the font scale command-line option. The suggested fix is to revert to an older .9s version of mencoder. However, the only version of this that I can find is for a PPC Mac, and not my more recent intel 10.8.4 one.

Can anyone suggest a workaround, or fix for my problem? Or send me an intel .9s version of mencoder for ffmpegx? I have cleared out and re-installed the software...

Cheers Hugh
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I will reply to my own post.

I tried running mencoder by hand, with msglevels set to 7, and I found the problem.

I had some old font files from a previous broken install of mplayer in /usr/local/share/mplayer. These were being loaded by the mencoder program.

After removing this directory everything started working properly.

Cheers Hugh
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome! You just found a solution to a very old bug -- one that I think even the developer gave up on.
    Position, size, character encoding, font selection, it is all working again.

I think it is the mencoder from ffmpegX that created that extra font directory. The “previous broken install” is the normal install. If you re-install the binaries, that extra directory is also created again.

One thing is that ffmpegX notices something is missing at launch. But just pressing Cancel allows one to continue fine (at least on my system).

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote