VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. As expected a hack as been found to keep XP alive and safe for a while longer (or at least until MS patches the hack out) and it's incredibly simple!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cool, thanx!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dougster View Post
    Cool, thanx!
    Let me guess. You didn't bother to read the article, did you? Here's the summary, which is exactly what I expected.

1) Microsoft has the ability to break this hack at any time. So there is no guarantee that this will continue to work in the future.
    2) If you use the hack you are forcing your system to install patches that are not tested on XP. Therefore individual patches may or may not work. If you rely on this and some patch doesn't work and your PC gets compromised because the patch didn't work then it sucks to be you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally posted by nik2k4

As expected a hack as been found to keep XP alive and safe for a while longer (or at least until MS patches the hack out) and it's incredibly simple!
    It seems like silent counter move. Windows (XP/7/8) users need to run Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer :: HELP after such hack or updates.

It would be better to move on to W7 for XP users.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ JMAN98

Gee, thanks for the character assassination man. That was just so helpful. I'm not a total freakin newb. Read my profile.
    First of all, I did read the article.

I dusted off an old XP SP3 laptop, backed up the system image to another drive. Then I backed up my registry.
    Plugged in the new registry entry, restarted and the new updates are available. If MS blocks the hack, I don't really
    care. I can always go back. This old thing will probably go to Goodwill someday anyway. Point being, I am willing to
    experiment.

So you can take that ego somewhere else.
    Quote Quote  
  6. When I read and re-read nik2k4 lines, I was really surprised and had a detailed look at HACK (German Again!) which seems to be simple & OK.

Later on I found official news release on El Reg!

Source code
    4 Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
    "Installed"=dword:00000001

Save as .reg file and doubleclick to import it.

POSReady2009 Updates will now install on a normal XP and Windows Updates shows also the updates for POSReady2009

ATTENTION: Use it you own risk! These updates are not tested on a regular XP system and could damage your system.

Instead PosReady you can also use WEPOS or WES. A reboot is not required.
    As it pumped up new energy to XP lovers, I would not be surprised if XP OS market share surpasses all other windows towards 90% in back-swing. It may confuse all OS statistics!!!
    Last edited by enim; 26th May 2014 at 20:09.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In all probability, MS will block this hack in a week or two. We'll see.....
    Quote Quote  
  8. it is for POSReady2009 Updates for POS terminals, not for XP for desktops.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I know. I have that software already on that laptop. I was part of the team that wrote that code for MS when I
    worked for them as a consulting engineer. I also wrote code for SP1 and SP2 XP.
    Quote Quote  
  10. @Dougster
    Yes, I know. I have that software already on that laptop. I was part of the team that wrote that code for MS when I
    worked for them as a consulting engineer. I also wrote code for SP1 and SP2 XP.
    Good to know.

I am pretty sure there are lot people here on VH who are stuck and fallen in LuV with XP for definitely some valid reasons.
    You can definitely help them in a much better way.

If updates are originating from Microsoft authentic server and works on desktop & laptops, XP users will really be benefited with better security. XP lovers must consider it as a BiG B's Generous Unofficial Charity for abandoned baby to prevent the baby falling into wrong arms!
    Last edited by enim; 26th May 2014 at 20:35.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is kind of a fine line problem here, there are somethings I cannot discuss due to the fact I did sign a non disclosure
    agreement with MS. And that agreement is for life. So I can't get too specific on somethings. I intend to honor that
    MS contract out of professional courtesy. I stopped working for them as a contractor in 2010 so I could pursue one
    of my many passions which is teaching Math and Physics at a local community college. I also help them with in house
    media content production. Teaching was my calling I guess. Too bad I never got that PhD, left after 2 years as a
    PhD student I left because I needed to get out in the real world and make a living. At 55 years old, its a little late.

All I originally said was 'Cool, Thanx' and somehow the poop hit the fan here. I need to get out more often.

Edit added note here - My own professional advice about XP and it derivatives (there are a few, but XP is just XP),
    just upgrade to Win 7 professional or ultimate.

Additional edit- POSReady2009 is just an OS overlay sort of like Win 3.1 was for DOS (for example).
    Last edited by Dougster; 26th May 2014 at 21:13.
    Quote Quote  
  12. POS Ready files have been getting patched into XP since last Patch Tuesday (05-13-2014), Myrrh found a way to have them show in Windows update, then Sebijk & Harkaz tweaked it some more so that other updates for stuff like .Net would show as well; Dencorso made it into a reg file to update a running OS, the previous method involved offline editing of the registry.

Harkaz is also running the Win XP SP4 project and has integrated the hack with all the updates since SP3; it was mentioned XP should be fully updated before applying the hack.

This is a new hack and as Jman98 points out there may be surprising outcomes. It should be possible to remove offending updates, the best way is to make sure system restore is running and making automatic restore points (that's the default behaviour) or you can remove them through Control Panel, but you have to remove them in the proper order. A better option is to image your system regularly.

Automatic update might not be a good idea either, probably best to set it to notify and select/apply the updates one by one.

It seems IE updates are the most likely to cause problem, the IE version of POS enables enterprise mode.

Whether you do the hack or not one thing remains unclear about MS' stance on XP, will the root certificate updates keep coming. They can be downloaded directly here and it seems that even works with Win 98.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd better go before I get myself in too much trouble.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I have just seen a guy in the bar wearing T-shirt having a XP logo up in the front and a skull on the back with words...
    (*|*)
    ||||
    GHOST
    RESURRECTED

I just offered him a beer (- as in free) with a quote " Move on to W7 and DualCore al-least for cheap, you will not regret!"
    You know guys what did he reply?
    He replied in enigmatic voice "TuXie (Buddy) thanks for the beer, Je T'Aime (XP) Till My Dying Day!"
    Last edited by enim; 26th May 2014 at 22:04.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Dougster View Post
    I'd better go before I get myself in too much trouble.
    Do you mean to say that POS is a stripped down version of XP and only a few of its components would be updated leaving the rest exposed. The thought crossed my mind thinking back to the days I toyed with FLP.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ enim

That was me! LOL

@ nic2k4

No, Its an OS 'overlay' basically a program that is supposed to be shipped with a sort of stripped down version of XP.
    It can run on a full version of XP and some people have. Has the potential to be buggy in that configuration though
    because MS never intended that. So all of the real testing was for the intended package. Hope that answers your
    question because I really can't say more. I'm trying to be ethical here.

Edit- When I say stripped down its still XP though, minus the games and bloatware kind of stuff, but you can get
    out of it and go into Windows and get back in. There is no long term testing on a full system but I have never
    heard of a particular problem myself nor have I experienced it myself. I was just one of dozens of programmers.

Now, I HAVE TO GO..... do laundry!
    Last edited by Dougster; 26th May 2014 at 22:24.
    Quote Quote  
  17. @Dougster
    Welcome to the party.
    Let's have another round with either Lowenbrau or Krombacher German Beer. Cheers!
    Join me on the table, We will just drink, We will not speak as Tuxie and X do not blend well in a ****tail.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You bring the hookers and I'll pick up the tab!
    Quote Quote  
  19. I do not have to bring (I would say bitches), as they are already in another corner of the bar here on VH. Couples of guys are already busy. Just look at a thread one below this one and pick one from the videos posted.
    Which one do you like?
    Pls. do not say (post) here, say it in that corner (post).
    Quote Quote  
  20. [QUOTE=Dougster;2323960 Hope that answers your
    question because I really can't say more. I'm trying to be ethical here.

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, I don't understand the stance, first it appears we should respect a person who claims they worked for MS for some time period and we only have your word you did actually work for them.
    Then you can't comment because of NDA....seems sort of convenient to me.

It would seem better that you never brought up the part of working for MS....since most of us could care less anyway...and we likely won't save a place for "your honor".
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No secrets where revealed and thats that, not by me. Working for MS as you know, everything was on a need to know basis
    for the projects I worked on. Great experience but a bit stifling sometimes. I'm concentrating new projects in my life now and
    have moved on. I'm not bad-mouthing MS, you have some great talent there. But you have a buttload of hackers out there
    who will reveal all kinds of stuff that is VERY sensitive and it does not come from me. I was not a full time employee just
    a contractor and nothing more. I worked on other projects outside of MS that had nothing to do with the computer industry.
    Please keep insinuations to yourself sir! Good day.
    Last edited by Dougster; 26th May 2014 at 23:51.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I guess it's only fair to post MS' reply to the hack. BTW, thanks Dougster for your input; no secrets were spilled.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just read that. I guess MS is really trying to sell 8.1
    Anyway I think XP is past its prime, was a great OS. But I'm happy with 7 and I am looking forward to 9.
    8 and 8.1 just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, tried it, don't care for it. Metro GUI won't cut it for me
    among other things. We'll see.
    Quote Quote  
  24. @Dougster
    Did MS Spy join our beer party and eavesdrop our conversation? I think so!

@nik2k4
    I guess it's only fair to post MS' reply to the hack. BTW, thanks Dougster for your input; no secrets were spilled.
    MS' reply to the hack is a proof that confirms it is (hack) is working.
    MS made that announcement b'coz MS update servers were Over-Over loaded yesterday from each -n- every single corner of the Globe.
    Further more OS Stat graph for Win 8/8.1 started declining rapidly towards the base line, where as XP spiked from 29.9% to 99.9%.
    OS Stat yet to make an announcement about a bug in graph charting s/w.

================================================== ============================
    Tonite on a planet called Digital Mars, The band called "Dazer-n-Hazer" is throwing another party. Everybody is welcomed.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ enim

So thats who that was

Yeah, great beer party, had some fun!

BTW, I found this video on you tube this morning. All of the OLD SCHOOL guys will appreciate this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF7EpEnglgk

Ah, the good ol' days!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Going through the link nik2k4 posted...

Microsoft said:

We recently became aware of a hack that purportedly aims to provide security updates to Windows XP customers. The security updates that could be installed are intended for Windows Embedded and Windows Server 2003 customers and do not fully protect Windows XP customers. Windows XP customers also run a significant risk of functionality issues with their machines if they install these updates, as they are not tested against Windows XP. The best way for Windows XP customers to protect their systems is to upgrade to a more modern operating system, like Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

Interestingly, in saying the updates "do not fully protect Windows XP customers", Microsoft is admitting that they will at least partially provide some protection, which XP users won’t otherwise receive. Of course there are risks in installing updates that aren’t designed purely for XP, so if you do use this method it’s definitely worth making sure you backup your system, and maybe be selective about which updates you install.
    It is MS declaration that XP is our baby (who brought us success) anyway that we can not neglect in any ways.
    Quote Quote  
  27. @ enim

So thats who that was
    I just called the bar owner (my friend) to double check on doubts. The cook replied there was a GuY who called himself "BiLL" was in a kitchen and asked me to cook a delicious dish called W9. Where as Sat might be busy in other corner, that's what I can guess.
    I can not guess anymore, as I have a severe hang-over.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got in touch with my inner self. That's the last time I buy single ply toilet paper at the dollar store!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!