but ourselves that does not take a trip

00:01:12,320 --> 00:01:16,400
    to town

00:01:13,840 --> 00:01:17,600
    now and then to rub off the rust a

00:01:16,400 --> 00:01:20,159
    little

ends

I've been reviewing a job I put down some time ago and noticed what could be a fix.
    I'd like to know first if anyone has seen this strange numbering where a timestamp repeats
    later in the sequence. Pardon if I talked about this in the past-- no way for me to look back for it.
    In the sample the first line has 00:01:12,320 then the third line repeats this time stamp out
    of chronological sequence. It looks to be a autogenerated problem. Also you see where text lines
    are broken at the word 'little' for instance.

As I recall I generated these subs using the Youtube Creator to get the timings of the text.

Can I manually fix this? My concern is getting a stew of timestamps without knowing
    the proper format. Can someone give an example fix just using an editor like Notepad++ which
    reads SRT files? Or Subtitle Edit, but I think that would add confusion.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure what you're asking. Syntactically the SRT looks good, the start times of each line are consecutive
    and look reassonable (but whether they actually match the video is another thing)

The end times are bad and can be manually edited
    Quote Quote  
  3. It may be just a logic error I can't follow. With the example, line one is fine as you've said.
    Line three needs an adjust where the entry 00:01:12,320 repeats and _starts_ that line. Is it just a matter of taking the end time of line two and manually entering that number at the beginning of line 3?
    Quote Quote  
  4. All the subtitle editors have the ability to fix overlapping subs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    It may be just a logic error I can't follow. With the example, line one is fine as you've said.
    Line three needs an adjust where the entry 00:01:12,320 repeats and _starts_ that line. Is it just a matter of taking the end time of line two and manually entering that number at the beginning of line 3?
    No. There is no need for the end of one line to be exactly the same
    time as the start the next line. You can have a small gap or not,
    May/may not match the speech pattern better, you have to look.

Is your subtitle Like this all the way through?
    Last edited by davexnet; 12th Jul 2022 at 19:10.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes as near as I can tell it goes straight through the 2 and half hours of the play length. Keep ion mind this was a technique I did on my own using Youtube Creator. I can't speak to any errors I might have made just setting it up.

But I've taken the advice given long ago to work on a sample. So I made one just a minute long, demux that sub and see if I can get a few lines corrected. It'd be a major job to do the whole thing.

On the Subtitle Editor being able to fix things, I don't think it can fix this as it is more than just
    joining lines or correcting overlaps. If there's more on that someplace, please give the details.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Subtitle Edit - fix over lapping lines
    Code:
    00:01:05,920 --> 00:01:09,199
    Is there a creature in the whole country

00:01:09,200 --> 00:01:12,319
    but ourselves that does not take a trip

00:01:12,320 --> 00:01:13,839
    to town

00:01:13,840 --> 00:01:16,399
    now and then to rub off the rust a

00:01:16,400 --> 00:01:20,159
    little
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks, I'll go over this and see where the fixes should be.

On that previous message from jacabo, is there then a way to do this with a Subtitle Edit command?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I almost see what you did-- have one digit larger from the end of one line to the start of another.
    I will try that on my clip.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Thanks, I'll go over this and see where the fixes should be.

On that previous message from jacabo, is there then a way to do this with a Subtitle Edit command?
    Tools -> Apply Minimum Gap Between Subtitles
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you play your content with a standalone mediaplayer, note that some can have problems with subtitles if there's no or a too short gap between them.
    To be safe, I always set a full frametime as minimum gap. This will avoid start- and end timestamps coexisting within one same frame. For video with a framerate of 23.976 (and higher) this translates to 42 ms. The value can be set in the "General" section in SE settings.

BTW you can also apply minimum gaps by running "Fix common errors" and checking "Fix short gaps" in the list.
    Quote Quote  
  12. A lot to absorb for me. Thanks to all for answering. I'll try the Subtitle Edit command somewhere safe-- on a separate PC
    copy. Other things as well. Thanks to all who are answering. But I go through these things very slowly so will have no immediate replies.

Is there a spell checker on these replies that I have missed? It's only now that I corrected a subject line typo.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Some progress. I used the Subtitle Edit Tools command for minimum gap and the sub looks a lot better.
    I'll have review it more for Sync and whatnot. Plus there's still major work to do from a source like YouTube Create.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    If you play your content with a standalone mediaplayer, note that some can have problems with subtitles if there's no or a too short gap between them.
    To be safe, I always set a full frametime as minimum gap. This will avoid start- and end timestamps coexisting within one same frame. For video with a framerate of 23.976 (and higher) this translates to 42 ms. The value can be set in the "General" section in SE settings.

BTW you can also apply minimum gaps by running "Fix common errors" and checking "Fix short gaps" in the list.
    I looked at the Tools adjust min gap screen and my values for framerate and min gap I set to 25 Fps and 42 ms just as a default you suggested. I don't know if other refinements are needed. I have to proof this much of it yet.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Synchronization looks good on the new Sub. That's one thing YouTube Create can make for a sub. Other problems remain of mangled words and the like.

If I have a single word hanging at a line, is there a combine command that doesn't muck up lines afterword? Apologies if I'm slow at going through all of SE for these things. I have to do things by rote.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Synchronization looks good on the new Sub. That's one thing YouTube Create can make for a sub. Other problems remain of mangled words and the like.
    Tools -> Merge Short Lines.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thank you for that.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Continuing with merge short lines. I see the many green highlights and above showing the lines they combine on the work screen.
    Is this an all or nothing command? I got confused by just looking at the merge short lines data screen. Can these be examined one pair (or I even saw three) of line numbers at a time? It just seems to make every possible adjustment at once.

Also I think I need a longer line length which is another thing to establish on the merge short lines screen.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I ran the merge short lines straight through and saved. It's a definite improvement. Was not able to try a playback with audio since the hour is late here.
    Quote Quote