Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    O.k., thanks, jagabo.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A quick report after using this for a while.
    I have ended up with a download system using a script to capture the video stream and convert the geometry to 360p from 720p and make the output compressed mp4. When the script runs the geometry and compression step seems to run faster than the stream transfer rate so when the time limit is reached the file is indeed a compressed mp4 in 640x360p geometry.
    It runs OK also on my slowest Ubuntu machine, but I use an HP Workstation 8440w as stream download engine onto an NFS mount sourced from the slower server.

Here is the ffmpeg command used inside the script:

Code:
    read VIDEOURL < $URLFILE #The URL of the stream is in a file so it can be modified easily
    CAPTURETIME="$1"  #Time is in seconds
    OUTPUTFILE="$2"   #The target mp4 file
    # Now run the ffmpeg command:
    eval "ffmpeg -hide_banner -user_agent \"Mozilla\" -i $VIDEOURL -vf scale=w=-4:h=360 -c:v libx264 -preset fast -crf 26 -c:a copy -t $CAPTURETIME $OUTPUTFILE"
    The only snag I have encountered so far is that the command exits if the stream stops providing data for a short while and resume later. When this happens the video is finished by ffmpeg which then exits before the set CAPTURETIME.
    It would be nice to have ffmpeg wait a while with no incoming data before giving up...
    Quote Quote